Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: 3 Kingdoms or Romance of Three Kingdoms 14?

Whichi one should I get?

• Total War: Three Kingdoms

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • None, they're both shit

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Silva

Arcane
Anybody here played these games? Which one do you prefer and why? I'm on a tight budget and will get only one for now (though I'll probably get the other later).

Thanks, bros.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Don't get TW3K, they abandoned the game without adding in the other half of historical events that the players expected.

Everyone has a favorite TW game. Get S2, it's pretty dumbed down but polished and has a good AI. Otherwise go for Attila, it's frustratingly difficult and unfair but rewarding; or the balanced option of TW:R2 with the DEI mod.

cw8

Cipher
TW3K is fun enough. The duels are nice. The diplomacy is the best in the series, you have to engage in diplomacy almost every few turns or so. Every notable general or advisor in the game has their own abilities which shadows KOEI's RTK. But CA dropped the game after a few DLCs and is now working on TW3K2. Which is a joke since there are only few starting scenarios without, you know, the actual 3 Kingdoms scenario. Get it on sale if you want.

Haven't played RTK14, last one I played was RTK12 and I hated it. Hate the Real Time battles. Last good one I played was RTK11 which was still turn-based.

Silva

Arcane
Thanks, bros. I'll wait for a sale then.

By the way, I tried playing RoTK 8 on pcsx2 but it still got that annoying "all fonts are black" bug. Anyone know how to fix that? I thought it would be perfect by this time, damn it.

cw8

Cipher
The old RTKs are on Steam but there's no English language

GreyViper

Prophet
Did I hear it right Western-Taiwan audience with South Korean told CA to suck their thumb to their current DLC plan and wanted it one go? Kind of funny if so, I imagine Paradox DLC plans would crash and burn there. :D
As to getting it, maybe when its dirt cheap, the game isn't bad but not at its full potential. The rumor mill is saying they will come out with a new version that is wholesome for the Western-Taiwan audience.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I can imagine the original DLCs unlocking TW3K2 features much like Warhammer did.

Silva

Arcane
Okay, I decided to get RTK14 now. Thanks for the input, faggots.

I played a bit of Total War 3K through my brother's account, but found it a little complex in parts (Shogun2 was so much simpler), and I'm not in the mood for that. RTK on the other hand looks simpler (and I'll probable get TW3k later anyway).

Any starting tips for RTK14 are welcome.

Comte

I played a bit of Total War 3K through my brother's account, but found it a little complex in parts (Shogun2 was so much simpler), and I'm not in the mood for that. RTK on the other hand looks simpler (and I'll probable get TW3k later anyway).

Uninstall.exe

downwardspiral

Learned

Play it like an extremely dumb down wargame then you are fine.
It is not that bad if you play it as an encirclement game.

Terrain and supply plays a bigger role than previous ROTK.
Less gimmicky RPG elements, magics and units type than previous ROTK.
Personally I rated this as top 3 ROTK since ROTK 5 and 9.
But many ROTK players won't like it especially people who like officer RPG elements of ROTK.

Generally speaking if you like older ROTK such as OG 2 3(for their simplicity) 5 and 9 then you might like 14.
If you like 7 8 and 13 more (they are all RPG officer play) then you might hate 14.

And TW3K depends on your preference on TW series.
3K is part of Nu total war since rome 2.
CA changed many direction since early Total war.
Shogun 2 is kinda of nu but still quite different to TW after Rome.

Generally speaking , newer total war is less detailed on tactical simulation and focus more on that not so good grand strategic game mode.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom