Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Travelling

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I didn't see this anywhere. If it is around, please point me in the right direction. How will travelling from town to town be handled. Like Fallout? Arcanum? or Morrowind? Please tell us.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fallout. I don't think there was anything wrong with that system.

GuideBot

Novice
I think Fallout had a very good system in that it represented realistically the distances between places, but in some ways it also eliminated the freedom of exploration that has made other games more entertaining than they would have otherwise been.

At any rate, I'm certainly looking forward to this project! I know it's a bit of a cliche around these parts, but I haven't experienced good dialogue in an RPG since the Fallouts (Deus Ex was pretty interesting, though)...

[edit: Naked_Lunch: I think Arcanum also "allowed" travel between places from the in-game map, using randomized terrain, to, I suppose, better create a sense that everything is part of the same world, though obviously walking through poorly implemented randomized terrain for two weeks or however long it would take wouldn't have been very fun.)

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Yeah, I remember the first time I played Arcanum I didn't use the world map to travel, just keep on walking through the forest in the general direction of Shrouded Hills. Took me about 2 hours to get there, and if I never learned about world map travel I probably would've tossed Arcanum right in the fucking garbage. :P

GuideBot

Novice
I enjoyed Arcanum up until I was in some large dungeon with golems that would shatter my weapon, and I did basically no damage, and I would have thrown it in the fucking garbage if a) I don't throw things out if I can at all help it, and
b) it has a really pretty box and manual. It's all bumpy, like.

Also, I'm sure I'll finish it one day. Took me about three years to "get" Fallout 2 and finish that (too easy to get lost, preferred the original, etc).

So, VD, what features do you plan to avoid us throwing your game in the fucking garbage? Digital Distribution? :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Naked_Lunch said:
Didn't Fallout and Arcanum basically have the same system of travel?
Basically. The little things were much better in Fallout.

For example, locations always looked better on the map in Fallout, more natural and easier to see when you travel nearby. I still remember playing it for the first time, travelling to Vault 15 and seeing the circle of some other town (Shady Sands) like some settlement on the horizon. The dots of Arcanum didn't look as good and were harder to find by accident.

Fallout had an option to choose a part of a location you want to visit which was very handy, imo. Special encounters, options to avoid random encounters with high skills, the list of known locations were cool as well.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shagnak said:
Please do it the PoQ way
Ta velly much
What's the PoQ way? Somehow I've managed to miss this game.

GuideBot said:
So, VD, what features do you plan to avoid us throwing your game in the fucking garbage? Digital Distribution?
Well, DD certainly helps. As for the features, it's hard to tell. I tried to avoid many design mistakes other games featured, time will tell whether or not the game is good. If you want to know something about some particular feature, just ask. Discussing design elements helps me see flaws I could have missed otherwise.

GuideBot

Novice
OK, then.

How long does travelling take from place to place? If you combine this with the "time limit" quests you discussed in an earlier thread, does this mean there will be a tendency towards players "clearing" one area at a time so as not to "miss content"?

As much as I'm a completionist, though, there's nothing more boring than a place where you've done all there is to do.

Sirus

Liturgist
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anyway, I think the Fallout system worked just fine.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
SHAGNAK HAS HIT THE BOOZE!

Ummm... I think the only time we need to get worried is when he isn't drunk. Then he must be visiting his parents or something.

PoQ is Prince of Quin, I think. I could have sworn the Codex had a review for it. I'd post a link, but, well, I just don't feel like going link hunting.

Oh, yeah, the best travel system is Fallout/Arcanum, at least for that style of game.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GuideBot said:
How long does travelling take from place to place?
Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

If you combine this with the "time limit" quests you discussed in an earlier thread, does this mean there will be a tendency towards players "clearing" one area at a time so as not to "miss content"?
Depends on a player. Some people do that anyway even when there are no timed quests, but to answer your questions, yes, some quests won't be available later on.

As much as I'm a completionist, though, there's nothing more boring than a place where you've done all there is to do.
Agree. That's not the case in AoD though.

Greatatlantic said:
PoQ is Prince of Quin, I think. I could have sworn the Codex had a review for it. I'd post a link, but, well, I just don't feel like going link hunting.
I know what PoQ is. I meant can someone explain the travelling system in details?

Lancaster

Novice
Any plans for a horse with saddlebags for travelling like that car in Fallout? Faster travel plus more storage.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I guess we can. No mounted animations, of course, but we can easily throw in a horse, animate it a bit, attach big-ass saddlebags, etc. When you click on it, you'd go into the travel mode which would be kinda convinient.

Any thoughts on that? Pros? Cons?

Fez

Erudite
You could make it a donkey to discourage people from attempting to ride it. Ahem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom