Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trends that Annoy you in Modern Games

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
skyway said:
Everything being shallow.

Ja.....that is everyone's favorite peeve.

nomask7

Arcane
Not enough game, no innovation of any sort, no brains, no talent, too politically correct, too pointless, too toothless....

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
nomask7 said:
Not enough game, no innovation of any sort, no brains, no talent, too politically correct, too pointless, to toothless....

Yeah, nowadays "mature" means we're going to have bigger guns and more F-bombs flying around. It has nothing to do with actually having "mature" content, i.e. food for thought.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fat Dragon said:
Timed-button presses or "quick time events". Nothing can take the fun out of an action game faster than a random pop-up that kills you instantly if you don't press a random button within the split second you're given (Resident Evil 4, God of War to name a few).
THIS

But the worst trend of all, the trend that threatens to kill video gaming, is that in order to develop a new commercial game you need to spend a huge load of money to use "next-gen" graphix you need a big company (that will fuck up your developing procedure) to publish your title and thus you need to make a game that is safe and and completely unimaginative since it has to be like all those other games that had moderate success.

BearBomber

Scholar
Mediacore games (like Halo) are copycated as hell, unlikefucking awesome games (Myth, Freedom Force*) that are usaly forgoten.

*All mutherfuckers that don't know how to make real time with pause without making game fucking unplayable (like those fucks who made new UFO games) should play it.

lightbane

Arcane
-Annoying, unkillable NPCS that forces you to travel with them and hear their constant whinning (*cough* any of Biowhore for example *cough*).
- Selfless, non-charismatic, plain NPCS ("You have my ear citizen").
- That BLOOM is considered good.
- EXTREME gore as mature.
- Fallout 3...

Carceri

Arcane
Bloom is evil.
Games developed on consoles and ported to PC.

The thing that probably pisses me off the most is: The reinventing mania. Developers should stop "reinventing" aspects and elements of games. Really, that's just lame and....where the fuck did they come up with this disgusting word anyway?!

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
-Games are too short
-Computer Opponents CHEAT
-BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS
-Shallowness and the fact that games appear to be made for Children
-Consoles
-MMORPG
-The fact that old games appear to be much better then new released games.

Krash

Arcane
zerotol said:
the fact that games appear to be made for Children

Newsflash; that's because they usually are. Manchildren, that is.

Fortunately there are a few exceptions...

Fat Dragon said:
Timed-button presses or "quick time events". Nothing can take the fun out of an action game faster than a random pop-up that kills you instantly if you don't press a random button within the split second you're given (Resident Evil 4, God of War to name a few).

Preach it brother. I loathe these things, though for a different reason as well. In addition to being cheap attempts at difficulty, they're usually the crutch of poor developers who can't make a good, exciting combat system and use them to try and liven things up. News flash; I'd much rather be able to twitch the fuck out and take out that demon/dragon/tentacle monster/ninja-pirate on my own rather than watch a mildly interactive cutscene with button prompts. The number one reason why God of War's excuses for boss battles hardly even reach the quality of DMC3's weaker bosses. Hell, they don't even touch Ninja Gaiden's. Not even statue man, or the tunnel worm.

checkpoints and lack of quick saves

Huh. I'd actually disagree on this one. Checkpoints/save points, used well, can create a lot of tension and provide a much better challenge. It's why games like Ninja Gaiden, Painkiller on Trauma, Devil May Cry, Gears 2 on Insane (no bitch difficulties) and such are so intense...because you can't hide behind F5. And if they are done well, you won't ever have to worry about time issues.

What else annoys me?

-Franchising before the first game is even developed. Not only is it arrogant as all hell, but it's rather annoying as well when a developer announces a trilogy during development of the first game. What happens when it doesn't sell well? Do the other two just get sunk? Take for instance Mirror's Edge. Regardless of what you think of it, it didn't exactly garner tremendous sales. Will the other two even get a green-light? This tactic also has a lot of gameplay and pacing problems packaged with it as well.

-Shitty enemy and encounter design. Games will come at you with great weapons, a nifty combat system, and loads of possibilities (or more than likely not)...but then never push you to use them all because you just fight "samey" mooks and foozles placed in boring environs and with little thought to enemy placement and tactics. Think Mass Effect, God of War, Bethesda games, BioShock, all Bioware titles post ToB, and more. How hard is this to get?

-Forced tutorials. I can read the fucking manual thank you very much. Or maybe I played the previous game in your stupid, drawn out trilogy. Or maybe all games nowadays seem to control the goddamn same. It's a rare sight for a game like Gears 1 or 2 to come along and actually let you skip the tutorial sections if you so please. Now if only everyone else would catch on...

I'll hulk out more later.

hiver

I actually like all these shitty trends in modern games.
And the direction where most of the mainstream is heading.

It all serves to bipolarize consumers to those who like it or buy it without thinking.
And a growing consumer base that hates it, like us.

We are still buying it because we dont have much choice but its a market ready to be taken over by indie development studios.

So as far as im concerned mainstream should continue what they are doing and make even more shallow, "accessible" and stupid boring games.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
zerotol said:
-BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, BUGS
As...
Pressing on release with unfinished beta-like piece?

"Fools! They'll buy it anyway. Our evil scheme is workin'. Again!"

barzam

Novice
At this moment that I lost my fucking DS stylus and as I have the old DS I can't find a replacement and have to use a pencil instead.

Apart from that, I wish all games would run natively in Linux.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
^ HAHAHHAHAH FAG. Dont you get splinters in your ass?

badge3.png

What am I missing except for Bloodlines and ToEE and Mass Effect?

hicksman

Liturgist
how about unrewarding exploration? You drift away from the plot or lack thereof, and go wandering around, and find a cave or get around to the back of a building or into somewhere you would never have to go.... and what do you find? absolutely nothing.

wtf? :roll:

DiverNB

Liturgist
Not being able to name my saves OR at least have them separated for different characters

Man does that get confusing.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Yeah, changing the formula is annoying. Especially when it worked so well in the first place. Evolution good, revolution bad. Deus Ex being an example.

Personally, another thing getting to me is the lack of puzzles in modern RPGs. In the dungeon crawls of yore, you could always expect to find a couple tricky puzzles that rewarded you with ph@t l3wt. I blame this entirely on consoles, since we can't just detach the mouse anymore and use it to manipulate the environment (good puzzles require this).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom