Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Trials of Fire - card-based tactics in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Apr 2, 2019.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://www.whatboy.com/game/

Show Spoiler
    Trials of Fire, a cool-looking strategy game with deck-building and tabletop-ish aesthetics:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
    • Brofist x 7
    • Informative x 3
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bladderfish Augur

Bladderfish
    Anyone tried this? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038370/Trials_of_Fire/

Looks like the game Knights of the Chalice 2 wishes it could be, but mainstream media - RPS and Eurogamer - are fellating it quite rapidly, so I'm wondering who they know on the development team.

Perhaps I'm just cynical, though. Steam reviews are also pretty good.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-rpg-a-card-battler-and-a-lovely-digital-book

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/07/trials-of-fire-early-access-review/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    ^ Top  
  4. Catacombs Cipher Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm not into the cards aspect of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Some board games had good deckbuilding aspects (Starcraft or mage knight for instance), so this could work. Actually, it definitely sounds like Mage Knight (or Gloomhaven), so we cannot rule out the game being good. But I would really like to hear how different it plays from Slay the Spire, or Dreamquest.

^ Top  
  6. Projas Information Superhighwayman Patron

Projas
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Looks coolio, would try if Druidstone wasn't coming out tomorrow. Will prob. try at some point and report back if no one else does.

^ Top  
  7. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    Did you ever get around to trying it? I just got an email saying it was on sale, but I have no memory of adding this game to my wishlist. Checking the Steam page shows weekly updates, which is promising.

^ Top  
  8. Projas Information Superhighwayman Patron

Projas
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Kinda ended up forgetting about this tbh. Perhaps one day. It does look interesting though.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    I went ahead and bought it. I like it. If I took the time to write out why I like it, would anybody care to read it?

The short version is that the combat is interesting, especially for card games. It's nothing like Monster Slayers or Slay the Spire where your goal is to generally make decks that allow infinite plays per turn. It's more about using the few cards you have in the most effective way. Discarding cards is the primary way to generate the resource you need to play cards, so you usually can't even play the 9 cards you get each turn (3 for each character).

I like this tactical approach that makes your decisions in battles feel more engaging.

There's a big update coming in the next two months that'll supposedly make some big changes to the non-combat portions of the game, but I already think it's worth the money. I've put 43 hours on it, and it's still interesting to try things.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito
    Have you played Gloomhaven? Does it compare?

^ Top  
  11. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    I haven't bought the board game because I don't buy legacy games. I haven't played the PC version because I watched a trailer and it looks like just a bunch of slow-ass animations in the trailer. Sorry, I can't compare.

^ Top  
  12. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Looks like the same mechanics as Card Hunter, but with better abilities and more money put into the art.

^ Top  
  13. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    Huge update released today.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Coming April 9th.

https://www.pcgamer.com/trials-of-fire-review/

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Bara Magister

Bara
  16. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    is this good

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
  18. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    I like it. I've logged about 80 hours on it. I just fired it up for the first time in a while, and it's fairly different from last time I played it. So far, it seems harder, but that could just be because I went straight to Cataclysm 1 after resetting all my progress. There are unlocks of classes, cards, and basic starting items, but you can toggle an option to just get it all from the start if you don't like the grind. The classes offer a fair bit of variety, and you get to choose 3, so it's got some good replayability even if you skip the unlocks.

I think giving your guys a reason to move around during combat is important for a good tactical game, so that's why I focus on that in this post. If you hate card games, I'd skip this one, but if you like card games, it's different enough to be worth a look.

More thoughts on movement (open)
    Positioning is very important, so it's not just your guys running straight across the battlefield to clobber the monsters. A key mechanic of the game is combo attacks when a melee attacker has an ally standing next to the target, and that ally has no other adjacent enemies. Even the warrior will be clobbered in short order if she gets surrounded on the enemy turn without any of your other party nearby. Also, movement from one space adjacent to an enemy to another space adjacent to an enemy spends all the movement from a card, so it can be really tough to get out of a pack.

There are cards with pushes, pulls, flight, and "this movement ignores enemies" effects. There's AoE to keep you from wanting to bunch up all the time, obstacles to get around, chokepoints, battle effects like random lightning strikes that are telegraphed 1 turn, and so on. Ranged attacks have infinite range but can be blocked by obstacles. Magic attacks all ignore obstacles, but most have limited range. Melee attacks do the most efficient damage, but are obviously more risky.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Just found out about this; I normally loathe the card aspects that have been plauging cRPGs over the past half decade, but this looks really good. Only other flaw I can see is that it uses tokens instead of real models/animations/sprites. But looks a lot of fun...is the storyline any good/worth getting invested?

^ Top  
  20. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    I actually like the tokens and the way the game looks like a book turned into a board game. One fun thing to do is see how high you can get enemy tokens to bounce. They bounce higher the more damage you do in a single attack.

There's a tiny bit of story on each adventure, but the adventures are only 1-3 hours each, and you're expected to replay them a lot. I don't think it'd be a good game if you need a strong narrative element. It's your typical post-apocalyptic setting with mutants, raiders, and slavery. I mean, the first adventure is to find a water chip gem to save your village...

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Are the spellcaster classes unique in their spells or is there any overlap?

^ Top  
  22. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Ok broke down and got it. Got wayy to much on my plate already but couldn't resist, alsot each run is about 1-3 hours after which your party resets, so it could be good for pick up and play.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Dickie Arcane Patron

Dickie
    I realize you already bought the game, but to answer this question for anyone else, the spellcasters all have unique cards in their class deck, but equipment also gives you cards. Each class has six specific equipment slots, though, so the cards from equipment are completely available to every class.

The different spellcasters do have different uses for sure. The witch is all about making enemies discard cards (extremely helpful for bosses), the elementalist is more about direct AoE damage, and the alchemist has lots of cards that create random cards, but the cost to play them is reduced. I guess the warlord is sort of a caster in that she can be set up with no cards that actually attack and just buff other characters or grant them bonus actions, even though she gets some decent weapon and armor slots.

Since cards can always be discarded for movement, gaining defense, or gaining willpower (resource to play cards), the alchemist isn't as bad as you'd expect. He also gets a power (semi-battle-long buff) that gives willpower when you play a card that creates cards, so he can actually get into a situation where he's gaining willpower repeatedly without even using up his hand.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...iew-seduced-by-sculpting-the-perfect-rpg-team

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.