Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tried Deus Ex - linear popamole shit, no choices, wtf?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p><a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14" target="_blank">Some asian dude</a> apparently still remembers <a href="http://hellmode.com/2010/06/11/fallouts-forgotten-revolution/" target="_blank">Fallout&rsquo;s Forgotten Revolution.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Games like the <em>The Witcher</em> and the critically acclaimed <em>Dragon Age</em> have been touted as revolutionary to the role-playing genre for their freedom and multilinear narrative experience. In some ways, they deserve the praise as they have done a lot for the genre.</p>
<p>In other ways, they don&rsquo;t.</p>
<p>An encountered guard may be made to flee, be bribed to leave, or give up his life in a fight against you depending on the chosen dialogue option. One of these choices might merit disapproval from Morrigan, while another could earn you a shiny new sword. However, while the narrative vehicle differs, the end result is that the guard is removed&ndash;he is no longer an obstacle in your path and you are free to proceed to the next checkpoint of the game.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p><em>Deus Ex</em>, another game often touted as revolutionary, featured a multilinear storyline forking at the game&rsquo;s finale into three separate, yet wholly unfulfilling endings. The choice felt cheapened by the fact it happened literally moments before the credits rolled. To the game&rsquo;s credit, you could choose to save your brother Paul or let him die, but the option had no bearing on the ending.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>If anything, <em>Fallout</em> is a forgotten revolution, and it&rsquo;s about time that someone else picked up the torch. After so many false revolutions, the genre deserves a new champion.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I fully expect the witty and educated elite to analyze the C&C in the games mentioned in this article down to the tiniest detail.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>This newsitem is a courtesy of Vault Dweller. Thanks!</em></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://hellmode.com">http://hellmode.com</a></p>

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Deus Ex, another game often touted as revolutionary, featured a multilinear storyline forking at the game’s finale into three separate, yet wholly unfulfilling endings. The choice felt cheapened by the fact it happened literally moments before the credits rolled.
This has always been an asinine complaint to me. It makes sense that JC would be able to make those choices at that point in the game. It's one thing how in Kotor you can play full light side and then switch at the last moment, but in Deus Ex it makes perfect sense because, for one, you're not dramatically changing anything based on previous actions; and two, this is the only point in the story (and the only place) where you would logically be able to have that decision to make.

Also, at least Deus Ex did offer meaningful choices at the end that took the conclusion in three completely different directions, and furthermore, they went beyond the simple good/evil choice and actually required the player to think. Not that many rpgs can make a similar claim, including Fallout. And it's much better to have meaningful choices at the end of a game, regardless of whether anything was blocked out from earlier actions, than to have earlier choices in a game deadlock you into a situation where you have NO choices at the end.

Not to mention that Deus Ex was never touted as an RPG...at least I don't remember it being so when it first came out. The fact that it holds many more CRPG conventions than most of todays CRPG offerings is purely coincidental.

Yeah, and I've never actually heard Deus Ex praised for it's C&C (I may be wrong) but rather it's well told story and awesome level design.

LEAVE DEUS EX ALONE!!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deus Ex has a linear story but non-linear level design. When people praise it for "choices" and "non-linearity", they mean the levels, not the game itself.

So yeah, article-writer is re-ta-dred.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Mangoose said:
Slow news day, huh?

I guess so. Moral of the story is that open levels make for a much better game than an endless series of corridors filled with boxes to hide behind. Nothing that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum on this site.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Deus Ex isn't an RPG and probably shouldn't be judged as one. It is a very well designed game, though, and goes out of its way to let the player make choices in most areas of gameplay.

Zomg

Arbiter
Deus Ex actually makes a good illusion of a complex structure on the first play, like ex. I thought I had changed he plot significantly by trying to save Paul (and getting KO'd) the first time I played it. Does a game get any credit for presenting a convincing illusion on a given playthrough, or do you only judge it from message board jerkoff sessions where everyone compares notes?

Eh, the consequences in Deus Ex are narrative, but since it's never advertised as being more than that, it gets a pass. Deus Ex didn't have the tagline "Your weapon is Choice". Since we have decided that C&C is not the most important aspect of RPGs, in that way it is fine.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Helpless and vulnerable, Aradesh needs someone to save her and you are there. It is up to you, however, if you want to save her or ignore the opportunity completely. The latter would not yield a positive outcome for the player. He’ll hate your guts and expel you from the town, and unspeakable things will happen to Tandi, but it is an option.

Can someone please remind me how this worked? You can't exit the quest ofer without answering Yes or No?

Or was there a timer?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Games like the <em>The Witcher</em> and the critically acclaimed <em>Dragon Age</em> have been touted as revolutionary to the role-playing genre for their freedom and multilinear narrative experience. In some ways, they deserve the praise as they have done a lot for the genre.</p>
There was one choice and consequence in the Witcher. Be with order, neutral, elves.

The choice felt cheapened by the fact it happened literally moments before the credits rolled.

The same applies for Bloodlines. Open it, or don't choice happened right before end.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Since we have decided that C&C is not the most important aspect of RPGs, in that way it is fine.
No we haven't. Pretend otherwise if that makes you feel better.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Dicksmoker said:
Deus Ex, another game often touted as revolutionary, featured a multilinear storyline forking at the game’s finale into three separate, yet wholly unfulfilling endings. The choice felt cheapened by the fact it happened literally moments before the credits rolled.
This has always been an asinine complaint to me. It makes sense that JC would be able to make those choices at that point in the game. It's one thing how in Kotor you can play full light side and then switch at the last moment, but in Deus Ex it makes perfect sense because, for one, you're not dramatically changing anything based on previous actions; and two, this is the only point in the story (and the only place) where you would logically be able to have that decision to make.

Yeah that. Furthermore, that JC has ended up in a position where he can make this decision freely is a rather significant plot point in itself.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Since we have decided that C&C is not the most important aspect of RPGs, in that way it is fine.

Typical Dicksmoker reply:

"[insert banal denial of subject at hand]. Pretend otherwise if that makes you feel better."

For a wannabe writer you don't have much imagination. Or brains.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
Dicksmoker said:

"[insert banal denial of subject at hand]. Pretend otherwise if that makes you feel better."

Hey, his first post ITT is pretty good. :M

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Dicksmoker said:

Well, I agree. "We" have not decided that C&C is not the most important aspect of RPGs, that's abusive to say the least, unless by "we" you mean you and... that faggot that agrees with you, I don't know get the fuck out of here with your bold statements

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Dicksmoker said:

Dicksmoker said:
That's a shame, because Xenogears has the best video game story ever made.
That's the best you've got? Maybe one day you'll realize how pathetic you are, but until then I'll just point out that you keep showing your own ignorance on the subject every time you post since you've decided to make that quote your sig in some retarded way to try to make me look stupid. To anyone who's actually played the game and has even a moderate degree of taste, it only shows how much of a retard you really are.

FeelTheRads said:

Typical FeelTheRads reply. Make an attack without substance and then hope that no one notices. Which I'll then reply to, eventually humiliate you at which point you'll run to your corner like a little bitch. I would think you'd get tired of it, but I guess some people never learn.

Flying Spaghetti Monster was the one who made a retarded statement with no backing whatsoever. In a case like that the only thing that's needed is a simple denial. Nothing more is required.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Which I'll then reply to, eventually humiliate you

AHAHAHAHA. You? A little dumbshit?

Make an attack without substance

Check your posts. See how many end in the same retarded way. I bet you feel really proud each time you make one of those posts, though. That's how it is with mentally challenged people, proud of every little thing they manage to do more than once.

What are you lot arguing about?

The whole point of the hilarity is that Deus Ex was not sold as an CRPG. The fact that it holds more elements in this department than many of the wonderful new CRPG's, and is the reason why it has dejour RPG after the fact.

As time goes on, I am sure more games that were never sold as CRPG's will slowly drop into the genre due to the mechanics of the game.

This isn't to say Deus Ex is a poor game. It is easily in my top 20 games of all time. But it was never originally sold as an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom