Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ubisoft will fail again: Prince of Persia

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Mr. Wednesday said:
Whatever, it was the best Canadian-made game I could think of.
That is the unfortunate part.

Is that ALL one can think of when it comes to good games developed in Canada?

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I like plot and dialogue and story, and the Wizardry and Jagged Alliance series are fairly light on those.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Fat Dragon said:
New PoP game looks okay to me. I make a habit of not holding games of other genres up to my RPG standards.
I don't think that's what they are saying. They just don't like heavy handed and forced cinematics, which is acceptable.
According to what some others have said in this thred the stuff some were complaining about is optional. And the OP's post seemed to be more of predictions than what the actual game would be like. And somebody demanding that a game's dialog be as deep as what he expects to see in an RPG is silly. And why do so many people seem to have a problem with cut-scenes all of a sudden? As long as their not Xenogears-long I don't see what the big deal is.
And I don't think they necessarilly only want open-ended games. I think what the guys here are saying is "If you are going to make an open-ended game, make it like it supposed to be. Otherwise stick to a simple linear formula."
The invisible barrier has been in sandobx games for years. It was in all the GTAs. It was never a problem in those games, it wasn't a problem in Assassin's Creed, I doubt it'd be a problem in this one. Also, keep in mind this is a platformer. Even if parts of the world are closed off in the beginning it could be becaus your guy might not have yet gotten the abilities needed to get there. Situations like that have been in platformer games for years. Even the new Banjo Kazooie game I bought yesterday still has that.
Do you think it's only Codexers who dislike Ubisoft Montreal's games? You'll find plenty of people outside here who don't like their games.
No, of course I don't think that. What made you assume I did? And obviously there are people outside of the Codex who don't like a certain developer, every developer around has people that don't like them.
BTW, I emphasise Ubisoft Montreal. It was the other Ubisoft studios who made Ghost Recon,.etc. Montreal gaming studios in general seem to be a bad thing. After all Deus Ex 3 is being made in Montreal.
Ubisfot Montreal has made some pretty good games. I enjoyed all the Splinter Cell games (especially Chaos Theory), Sands of Time and Two Thrones, Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2 (in before the predictable trolls).

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Ugh, it looks like a Final Fantasy game... complete with Anime-Magic-Girl(TM). And what are they doing in those trailers? Some sort of cirque du soleil routine?

Is that what PoP has become? Final Fantasy characters doing acrobatics? Shit.

You know, as much as I really liked Sands of Time, I wish that it hadn't revitalized the franchise. Each new game since has had even more shitty interminable baggage to haul around.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
The magic stuff looks really retarded. "Oh, a really long jump? Sure, let's just have the magic chick teleport in and help you reach that spot, yo".

Longshanks

Augur
IGN were impressed, giving it a 9.4. The reviewer sees the game as a return to SOT form, after the disappointing WW and TT.

Positives: more puzzles and acrobatics, less combat - in fact, it seems combat is pretty much optional, boss battles aside.

Potential concerns: "reduced focus on path-finding and puzzle-solving – with routes around the game world entirely linear in isolation and clearly telegraphed. Instead, Prince of Persia features a design that facilitates quick thinking and lightning responses – to the point where the whole observation, assessment and reaction pattern is more akin to a rhythm action title than a platform game." :? Also, lack of challenge.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Longshanks said:
Positives: more puzzles and acrobatics, less combat - in fact, it seems combat is pretty much optional, boss battles aside.
Sounds good.

What about story/writing? Is the prince more like in SoT too?
I'd forgive the lame art direction for that.

Longshanks said:
IGN were impressed, giving it a 9.4. The reviewer sees the game as a return to SOT form, after the disappointing WW and TT.
Longshanks said:
IGN were impressed, giving it a 9.4
Longshanks said:
IGN were impressed
Hai guys i read this review on IGN they say that game is totally awesome, so it must be totally awesome. They are honest reviewers who don`t take money or shiny things from Ubisoft. Decline of the Codex? No sir, absolutely not.

PlanHex said:
Sounds good.

What about story/writing? Is the prince more like in SoT too?
I'd forgive the lame art direction for that.
Fatdragon said:
I enjoyed [...] Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2 (in before the predictable trolls).
Disgusting.

Longshanks

Augur
SimpleComplexity said:
Hai guys i read this review on IGN they say that game is totally awesome, so it must be totally awesome. They are honest reviewers who don`t take money or shiny things from Ubisoft. Decline of the Codex? No sir, absolutely not.
Just referencing the game's first review and listing the described aspects I found positive and those not so. Nowhere did I say the game was awesome. You obviously took note of this with the repetition of "IGN were impressed", you know, IGN not being me. Unfortunately the meaning seems not to have penetrated your brain, or whatever vegetable substitute you are currently functioning with.

Idiotic, hysterical trolling. Decline of the Codex? No sir, it's always been this way.

Err.. i know that this review isn`t your opinion. It`s just not a good place to get good honest reviews from. But thanks for the insults, anyway.

Longshanks

Augur
SimpleComplexity said:
Bolded, embiggened part of quote implies I think the game is awesome because IGN do. My post you replied to did not give my overall opinion of the game, and detailed some clear concerns and some positives I took from the review. I also have a low opinion of gaming reviews, particularly scores, but they are still useful for finding out some basic gameplay information.

No, it doesn`t. Hence i didn`t quoted the rest of your post. It`s was just a parody of the usual IGN-reader who believe anything they read. The positives you found in the IGN review might not be positive at all, for example:
more puzzles and acrobatics, less combat - in fact, it seems combat is pretty much optional,
More puzzles =! automatically good puzzles, what i sense are the same copy`n pasted puzzles every 15 minutes. I really doubt the designers at Ubisoft have the motivation & needed brain cells to make challenging/various puzzles. And "less combat" can mean anything. My prediction (because i`ve had the pleasure to play their past games) is that it`ll fail, if not then respect to them. Are they good at something? Yes, at animating characters and hyping their games.

Longshanks

Augur
Yeah, more puzzles is not a positive if they aren't any good. I see it as a positive more because it points to a better ratio of acrobatics/puzzles/combat than WW and TT, which both had too much combat. Obviously quality in all three areas is still important.

And "less combat" can mean anything. My prediction (because i`ve had the pleasure to play their past games) is that it`ll fail, if not then respect to them. Are they good at something? Yes, at animating characters and hyping their games.
Well, I enjoyed SOT, and to a lesser extent TT, even had some fun with WW. Haven't played any others apart from Beyond Good and Evil. I am a fan of the POP gameplay, and if the new game is more like SOT than WW then I'll likely pick it up. Don't like the descripion of gameplay being more about quick reactions and more like a rhythm game than a platformer, the apparent lack difficulty, or the magic sidekick. Not a definite buy, waiting for more info.

I should have defined "past games" better. For me Far Cry 2 and Assassin`s Creed were huge dissapointments and from those games i know what to expect in the future, they did some things right (mainly in the graphics and animations department). Aside from the usual stupid design desicion like the setting (sc-ifi bullshit) and unskipable cutscenes , malaria and whatnot i think it was the repitition of the same quests and copy`n pasted game elements which killed it for me. From what i have heard Beyond Good and Evil is a great game and i believe they are developing a sequel. That and Deus Ex 3, can`t wait to see the results of stupid design from "hipster fucks straight out of college".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom