Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos - sequel set in a single dungeon

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.ultimate-adom.com

https://af.gog.com/game/ultimate_adom_caverns_of_chaos?as=1649904300

ss_16984815189c4861e66823063d775b6bb62ebe00.1920x1080.jpg

The Story so Far
Evil has been vanquished. Peace has returned to Ancardia, and the peasants dare to dream once more of prosperity. Seven very different factions vie for control over the cataclysmic aftermath left behind by Andor Drakon’s defeat. And somewhere, deep down in an inhospitable cave, ChAoS is stirring again.

Pick up your blade, prepare your spells, check your daggers and ready your bow, for you are about to enter the ominous Caverns of Chaos. Choose your allegiance carefully, for you are nothing more than an expendable asset to the masters you choose.

Fight for a mercenary's glory and purse, for the justice of a folk in decline, for the light of purity or even for ChAoS itself. Every choice you make will determine how you approach the ever-changing Caverns of Chaos before you.

Features and Gameplay
  • Ultimate ADOM is a modern reimagining of traditional rogue-like dungeon-crawling.

• Endless procedurally generated dungeons, countless monsters, items and a grand selection of very different skills allow for unlimited replayability

• Intuitive control system will get rid of the need to memorize hundreds of keys. Though you can still do so, if you're into that. We are not judging.

• Your chosen class, gender, race and allegiance will change the way the game challenges you. NPCs will react differently, new quests will be open to you and the world may change completely based on your performance.

• A deep magic system with several unique schools of magic and dozens of spells per school. Flaming auras that damage nearby enemies, cold snaps that freeze rivers, animating the very walls of the dungeon to aid you - everything is possible.

• A stealth system introduces a totally new way of playing the game: Instead of hacking or blasting all opposition to pieces you now can sneak past adversaries and avoid conflict by silently sneaking out of deadly situations.

• Interactive items! Topple braziers to spill their burning oil on unsuspecting enemies. Push coffins to block passage ways, or smash them in hopes of loot. Lock doors, smash them, open them or turn them into wooden golems to (hopefully) serve your bidding.

• Turn yourself into an abomination and graft your enemies’ body parts on yourself. They won’t need them any more, and what is better than wielding two swords? Two swords and an axe to harvest more bodyparts than ever before.

• Choose or toggle between graphic mode and traditional ASCII at any time. Toggle between 3d mode and top down view, in ASCII or in the graphic mode. Toggle everything you wish, we probably have a game mode just for you.

• “Play the way you want” – countless options of how to tackle the dungeons awaiting you. Befriend or tame creatures, slay monsters, delve deeper or keep exploring and expanding the cavern levels you have already found. Set traps and smash doors, or unlock them with the keys you found. Push coffins and other objects!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Fuckin sweet. I used to love me some ADOM. Haven't played the graphical version yet but this makes me want to give it a try.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.ultimate-adom.com/index.php/2020/05/20/alpha-patch-notes/

ALPHA PATCH NOTES (20. MAY 2020)

0.1.3 – 20. May 2020
  • Mac-players (both of you) rejoice! There is a standalone version for you now.
    More bodyparts and appropriate equipment. You can also graft these to yourselves, and if you add a left and right humanoid leg, you can wear an additional pair of boots.
  • Pants! And footwear. Less naked hobgoblins and dwarves in the dungeons.
  • A first look into our diary and quest system. This is accessible via the character screen.
  • Redesigned the look of our tooltips – now they are much more beautiful. We think.so, at least.
  • The minimap is now clickable and expands.
  • A new special level: The maze of minotaurs.
  • When you’re low on health, you will now notice this much better. This can be toggled off if you want to live dangerously, or if the health bar is enough information.
  • The kobold caves’ throneroom now actually holds a throne.
  • More traps, traps, and more traps.
  • Added lots of images and graphical resources.
  • Lots of internal things done to prepare for… Missile Combat! Which isn’t in this build yet. But it will be soon.
  • Combat animations are now somewhat smoother.
  • Damage numbers now should make more sense and are quicker.
  • Some modification of how the player camera behaves.
  • Bugfixes and performance optimizations.
  • 11 bug fixes removing all kinds of crashes: the minimap no longer shows wall decorations, some unpleasant concurrency crash bugs no longer should happen, etc.
——————————————————–
Past notes:

0.1.2 – 08. May 2020
  • There is now a Linux version!
  • We have activated in-game analytics. We do not track personal data because we take data security very seriously. But we try to learn how and what you play… classes, races, skills, dungeon levels you explore, levels you gain, etc. This will help us balance the game better in the future. Additionally we eventually also will start tracking patterns like “do you prefer keyboard or mouse”, “are you playing in ASCII or graphical mode” so that we can better allocate our development resources to the issues important and dear to you, the players./li>
  • We have added two special levels for kobold fans. These are not yet finished… especially decorations and mood texts still need a lot of work. They also still need quests and story hooks. But we are getting there, and this is an indication for the direction of things.
  • Basics for new traps have been added (animations still missing).
  • We have added a sample story dialog to the start of the game that will guide players through the story of their character. The associated stories are not yet implemented but they should give you a good idea of things to come.
  • There are some visible (no longer do items fly around) and invisible performance improvements (levels after the animated forest should be much faster, generally everything should be a little faster).
  • Lots of preparation this week was internally in order to move forward with story content faster. We hopefully will be able to reap the rewards in the weeks to come.
  • 11 bug fixes removing all kinds of crashes.
0.1.1 – 30. April 2020
  • Work in progress: Better general user experience (“e” actions now have fixed letter assignments, spells have fixed letter assignments for your current character depending on the order in which you learned spells; faster tooltip popups depending on context).
  • Work in progress: Inventory finetuning (much better tooltips, various bug fixes, better texts and more icons showing what you can equip).In the image below you e.g. can see more detailed tooltips (which soon also will receive a visual update) that also explain what you can do or not do with an item, items in the backpack are now annotated with icons to quickly tell you what you can use or not, equipment slots tell you what you can equip, etc.
  • Work in progress: Graphical UI revision and clarification. Many lovely details have been added to the UI and even more goodness will appear over the coming weeks.
  • Grafting now works (but there are still some usability issues like delayed messages and graphical glitches like incorrect anchor points for additional limbs)
  • Added destruction sound effect and animation to all room decorations
    53 bug fixes removing all kinds of crashes

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Instead of going for top down and spending more time to handcraft their dungeons they spent years on that fugly "3D" engine ...

Oh well, there's other games to play.

The goblin sprite is nice though.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They still have the option for ASCII or top down. But I hope they haven't wasted too much effort in 3D engine and not in important things.

I want this to be good and succeed. Never completed the game but have very good memories playing it 2 years ago. An improved ADOM game with more interesting dungeons, expanded magic and tweaked classes should be great.

I prefer other roguelikes like DCSS, but ADOM is a great concept that needed to be updated.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...Alpha_available_free_for_a_short_duration.php

Ultimate ADOM in early Alpha, available free for a short duration!

After over 25 years after the release of the ground-breaking and genre-defining rogue-like ADOM comes the official sequel: Ultimate ADOM.

Ultimate ADOM is currently in early Alpha testing and hast just released a new stable Alpha version which will be available here for free for Windows, Linux and MacOS for free for a short duration: https://teamadom.itch.io/uacoc/download/Rf49oxDDKxiw7Qxn0WTazOdUoBVKHc2wEt2dLPRq

The new version fixes several stability and performance issues and adds several new functions such as a clickable mini map, footwear and pants for monsters and players, a diary system for the upcoming quest system, a complete overhaul of the tool tips, various new traps, more icons, images and other graphical improvements.

Ultimate ADOM already features a powerful emerging interaction system. For example, it is possible to cut off a monster’s limb, animate it to become a trusted and powerful companion, use its help defeat the monster it originated from, dispel the animation attempt, and then graft the limb to your player character to wield an additional weapon.

In a nod to the community that made the predecessor so successful, Ultimate ADOM features a fully realized ASCII mode in both traditional top-down and unique 3d mode.

ALPHA State

The game is currently in an EARLY APLHA state. Many things are still missing from the game: Right now, there are only 12 of over 60 skill trees available, only 80 monsters out of several hundred. Many spells (and schools of magic) are missing, and there are not many elemental interactions (like freezing or boiling rivers) implemented yet.

There is also no balance of note in the game and the monster’s AI is still very rudimentary. There is no sign of the eventual metagame, and the during the Alpha phase, the game will only be available on PC and Mac for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

Steam Wishlist

You can now add Ultimate ADOM to your wishlist on Steam to be informed of Early Access and release dates! It also helps us gain visibility, so if you like what you’re seeing in the Alpha, please add us: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266820/Ultimate_ADOM__Caverns_of_Chaos/

Watch the trailer!

To celebrate the launch of the Alpha, please check out the Ultimate ADOM Teaser Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_WpFY9gXPo

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.ultimate-adom.com/index.php/2020/07/30/lore-of-skills-mundanity/

LORE OF SKILLS: MUNDANITY!

After we had a look at Stealth and Traps a while ago, and our heroic elven archer Alynna showed off their sneaking skills, we want to look at the so-called mundane skills in general and what you can do with them.

Unlike flashy magic or powerful combat maneuvers, mundane skills will boost your hero’s means of survival in more subtle ways. Ratling adventurers in particular are very sturdy due to the large amount of survival skills available to them. Let’s have a more in-depth look at the four skill trees currently in the Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos Alpha.

Literacy

Literacy.png

Literacy is a straight forward skill tree. Increased points spent here will allow you to more reliably decipher scrolls, books and the occasional cryptic rune engraved into the dungeon wall. Higher levels of the literacy skill tree will allow the magically inclined adventurer to wield significantly more power and regenerate it faster.

Athletics

Athletics.png

A strong mind comes from a strong body. Not only warriors and fighters benefit from a good constitution and nimbleness. Skilled athletes learn to dodge enemy blows and traps, take blows without staggering or jump much further than usual. The later is especially useful to pyromancers, whose higher level spells tend to leave the very dungeon floor a mess of molten stone and hot lava, but jumping over raging rivers and traps is beneficial to every adventurer delving the Caverns of Chaos.

Scavenging

Scavenging.png

The art of looking into places others wouldn’t. To find the lost gold coins that rolled into near invisible cracks in the floor. Rifling through a defeated enemy’s pockets. The scavenger is skilled in generating additional resources. For crafting, for selling, for animating or necromantic purposes, or to soul harvest additional items for more health, power or experience.

Stay tuned for more skills! We have a total of 16 mundane skills planned, ranging from crafting armor and traps to negotiating with NPCs. We are looking forward to showing them all to you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

While we are still waiting for the POTIONS update to be stable enough to record things (look forward to this next week!), here's a friendly reminder that while Ultimate ADOM aims to be a lot more accessible than any other complex rogue-like out there, death is a near certainty.

Just because you can jump into the lava, try not to do it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

"Can I play in ASCII?" "Can I play top-down?" "Can I play the game the way I want?"

Yes, you can. A single press of the "g" key will toggle between our fully realized ASCII mode and the standard 3d view. A single press of "f5" will toggle between a free-moving camera and one that's locked to top down.

Are you at GamesCom next week? We'll be featured at the Magenta Telecom Gaming area where you can download and play for a limited time!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Still waiting to show off the latest patch, so here's a small overview of different characters you can create and play in Ultimate ADOM: Caverns of Chaos. A martial elven adventurer worshipping ChAoS? A dwarven wizard driven by greed? Sneaking around?

With limitless combinations based on your faction, race and profession, you can play whatever you desire.

More skills coming in soon!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I tried to play the demo, but darn thing keeps crashing all the time.:|
Also someone thought that it's good idea to put button for slowing game speed at default Steam screencap button.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The Mad Minstrel has something to say to you.

Whether you celebrate Samhain, Halloween, Reformation Day or nothing at all, the Minstrel is there for you.

Trust the voice inside your head. It only wants the best of you.

jungl

Augur
I found ADOM to be boring also the most janky roguelike I played. It obvious why they updating the graphic. RL developers realized by now you get 10x more sales if the game is visually pleasing. Normies dont want to play these "lines and boxes" games but if you make them pretty they do.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I found ADOM to be boring also the most janky roguelike I played. It obvious why they updating the graphic. RL developers realized by now you get 10x more sales if the game is visually pleasing. Normies dont want to play these "lines and boxes" games but if you make them pretty they do.
Steam version of ADOM is quite pretty these days.
0DBE29CE402400F22FB0147DB614673F1DC42ECD
Which makes horrid state of this new one even more baffling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom