Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Umineko + Chiru PS3 remake? This stuff's awesome.

Completely reworked HD graphics, full voice acting, all the original awesome music. What the hell? This stuff's awesome, why wasn't I informed of this? The first half came out about a year ago and, now, the second part came out a bunch of weeks ago. Just watch:

Rondo of Witches and Deductions (Umineko remake) OP.

Nocturne of Truth and Illusion (chiru remake) OP.

Umineko went from being that pretty awesome story about witches with great characters and beautiful music that had some really awful and vomit inducing graphics to being so very full of win it's not even funny anymore! Every single event image, character sprite, background, etc, now looks awesome.

Click here for a taste!

I need to get this shit ASAP, there's no way I'm going to finish reading Chiru with the awful graphics now!

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Kimagure Majo Yousei said:
Completely reworked HD graphics, full voice acting, all the original awesome music. What the hell? This stuff's awesome, why wasn't I informed of this? The first half came out about a year ago and, now, the second part came out a bunch of weeks ago. Just watch:

Rondo of Witches and Deductions (Umineko remake) OP.

Nocturne of Truth and Illusion (chiru remake) OP.

Umineko went from being that pretty awesome story about witches with great characters and beautiful music that had some really awful and vomit inducing graphics to being so very full of win it's not even funny anymore! Every single event image, character sprite, background, etc, now looks awesome.

Click here for a taste!

I need to get this shit ASAP, there's no way I'm going to finish reading Chiru with the awful graphics now!

Remake? Already?! It hasn't been a year since they released the last episode... And I still haven't finished it since my japanese ain't pro enough. :oops:

One has to rise the question: why on earth didn't they publish it in this form at the start? I sense cheap trick here for poor Otakus' moneyz.

Other than that the series started good, but quickly went into land of prosperity the preposterous. When in Chiru all my assumptions from Ep 1-3 got confirmed that made me give up. Typical japanese logic to explain the simplest things in the most convulted fashion, and then - tadam! - it was simple all along! Now, who would have guessed that!?

Frankly, I don't remember now why I had so high hopes for the series. I guess I liked the music quite a bit - I still have 'hidamari', 'hapiness of marionette', 'tomorrow' and 'answer' on my playlist.

Anyways, good news - but you won't see me 'playing' that (half of the reason being - I already know [almost] everything; the other - I cannot into moonspeak... yet).

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I was expressing my wish for a high def remake of xenogears, so that I can witness the game's true hero, Hammer, in all his MAD SKILLZian glory.

@ Mrowak

Myself, I really like the story so far, but then you know I have a really soft spot for stories about witches and demons. I have a lot to go through yet, most of Chiru actually, as I have just about finished going through the first set all over again to refresh my memory, and I had only read about the fifth and about a third or so of the sixth one before.

But yes, the music is bloody awesome and a pretty good runner up for best videogame music ever, even if Umineko's videogame nature is kind of suspect. I have it all in my MP3 thingie and never get tired of listening to it. And I personally really like the characters, there is so much awesomeness colapsed on that little island.

I don't know if it is a ploy or not, though. They started like a purely doujin circle, and halfway through it all they came to be super duper famous and stuffies. And changing the graphics in the last episode would have been pretty weird. Or maybe I'm naive and stuffies.

Anyways, if you are interested on Umineko but are kind of disapointed with the story you just need to wait for december 31 to get Ougon Musou Kyoku Cross, the expansion to the original super duper awesome fighting game about well dressed witches, high lords of hell looking like cabaret girls, and a bunch of other people.

Click me!

And you now can play as Jessica cosplaying Kirisame Marisa, among others.

:M

Ah, yes! Umineko had a PS3 version with vastly superior sprites and graphics. I've only actually read the first episode of Umineko's manga, because of one of my friend's insistence, and then I sort of got sick of it after that point (about halfway through episode 2, I thought "you know, this really should've just ended with episode one"), but she wanted to play the visual novel version. After I test-played the visual novel version, I realized: "Wait, this looks like absolute shit," so I went out of my way to find a torrent for the PS3 version patch once I heard about it.
It's really a *huge* fucking difference, very pretty and satisfying, from what I understand.

Kimagure Majo Yousei said:
Anyways, if you are interested on Umineko but are kind of disapointed with the story you just need to wait for december 31 to get Ougon Musou Kyoku Cross, the expansion to the original super duper awesome fighting game about well dressed witches, high lords of hell looking like cabaret girls, and a bunch of other people.

Click me!
NICE JOB OBSTRUCTING ALL OF THE GAMEPLAY THERE, VIDEO

@ laclongquan

They aren't technically games but dynamic novels. Think of a light novel written with an emphasis on dialogue instead of descriptions or narration, and then add images for all places and scenes of importance, sprites for all important characters reflecting their emotional states, professional voice acting, a very good soundtrack, etc. It's a weird thing from Japan.

The "dynamic" part of the name comes from they moving on their own, basicaly. Contrary to other such games which offer you choices every now and then, like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, dynamic novels have few to no choices. You are basicaly listening to a play acted by sprites and stuffies and accompanied by awesome music. Umineko itself is basicaly known for having one of the best soundtracks ever, as it focus itself on the music to create much of the mood and ambience.

There's an spin off game, Ougon Musou Kyoku, which is about to get an expansion. That one is a switch fighter with several interesting setting-based rules, like jumping between the normal and meta worlds halfway through the battles and the like.

Click here to watch Ougon Musou Kyoku's op.

Click here to watch Ougon Musou Kyoku's X-box version's op.

That aside, the story of the franchise goes like this: There's this stinking rich family that every years goes to the main estate in some small island where the actual ruler of the family lives and celebrate a reunion where they discuss what they did during the last year and how to advance the family during the next year, and stuffies. The ruler of the family is about to die, though, and this year's reunion will probably be about who gets to rule after it happens.

Once all the different sides of the family have arrived to the island they, as well as those already there and their servants, become trapped in the island by a typhoon, and while they all spend their time being jerks to each other and the like it soon becomes obvious something more is going on: People start dying, and it all seems to be connected to the legend of the Golden Witch, who once lived in the island and whom the family ruler, by then very dead, used always to say he knew. Or maybe someone's just killing the competition to get all the inheritance, or maybe it's all a twisted game by the family head and his obsession with the story of the Golden Witch, a picture of which is in the house main room along with a strange inscription.

That's a pretty bad and pretty shortened version of the premise. From here it goes, depending on who you ask, into either way too weird shit, way too dumb shit, or way too awesome shit. Probably a mixture of all three. The characters are pretty nicely written and their interactions, dramas, and ambitions make a good deal of the story.

Once the first chapter ends, though, the story starts repeating itself, only every single time it happens events start changing, the focus going from very rational explanations of what happened in the island to completely weird versions of it. And then everything goes to hell and gets really weird/dumb/awesome.

That's the gist of it, more or less.

@ malko_sundervere

The anime and the manga are indeed horrible, and the way they did the plot is a total mess. Kind of reminds me of Chaos;Head, another awesome visual novel which got turned into an incredibly bad anime. :(

Anyway, have some actual gameplay videos of Ougon Musou Kyoku:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYP3Ddlas5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO_IzZgzTvM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne0gq5Yb4ag

It's pretty fun, I like it quite a lot. Hard to play with a keyboard, though, without a mod that changes how some thingies work so that you never need to press more than two keys at the same time, as most keyboards can't recognize it. It plays perfectly with a pad, though, and the X-Box version has some extra characters (though they will be in the expansion too, along more new ones).

Also, every pair of characters get their own dialogues, scenes, and story, or version of the story. Is pretty cool.

Mrowak

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Basically, in one short paragraph, just what are those games?

These are not games. Not at all. They are basically 100% visual novels (no, not comic book). The only 'gameplay' you get is watching reading stuff, and as the story unfolds trying to piece together who the culprit was. That's about it. It's not an adventure game, where you can talk to characters, use items and suchlike. You just sit there and read walls upon walls of text.

Still, I found it quite entertaining. Especially the concept of open warfare between fantasy vs mystery story (basically, weird, unexplicable stuff happen - your (and the protagonist's) task is to separate wheat from the chaff). Yes, warfare is the word - you have concepts actually fighting each other (red/blue truth). It's hard to explain... Weeaboos.

If you have shitloads time with you, can into weird stuff, and can appreciate slightly juvenile tone of the series - give it a shot. If not, you will quickly realise how un-codexian this 'game' is.

Fickle Fairy Witch said:
And I personally really like the characters, there is so much awesomeness colapsed on that little island.

For me it's a mixed bag. Sometimes I have no idea what made authors have e.g. Sakutarou in there. One moment you have a mystery sotry full of murders in most gruesome fashion, and then you have a talking stuffed animal. The shift of tone in those situations is just unbearable and does little to enhance seriosuness of the story. Also, Kanon - the whole character concept rubbs me in the wrong way - but at least now I know why.

Then, there is Beatrice and her entourage. Special props for Ronove. Frankly, until ep 4 the entire 'magical' cast were awesome (except for Siestas). Later, it got worse - much worse. All the same there was some major incline with Bernkastel and Labdadelta.

Last year, around this time, certain black cat dropped the news about this game here on 'Dex. I spent whole two months playing it - finally that gamepad proved of some use. As a dumbed-down (in comparison to 'serious' :obviously: titles) arcade fighter it was perfect for my needs and abilities. Some musical rearrangements were quite good too. I liked how it captured the wacky humour of the franchise.

I don't see Bernkastel and Lambdadelta as playable characters in the expansion. It's both bad (they are kewl) and good (considering how beneath dignity the whole afair is to them).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
laclongquan said:
Basically, in one short paragraph, just what are those games?

Were you living in some slums without any chance to see any recent art? What question is that? Next time you would say you don't have any clue about what is Chaos;Head, or Touhou, or ANNO 1404, or Final fantasy X, or Fate/Stay Night, or Drakensang, or Gothic 3, or Fatal Frame, or 永遠のアセリア -この大地の果てで-. Where are you living?

At lest download the musics from that. You want that FLAC version.

Also where is an updated PC version?

@ Mworakun

I'm honestly more worried about George and Jessica being playable characters in a game whose entire rooster is made of witches, demons, and thingies. Sure, they both have their moments and stuffies but, like, they fighting an actual battle against, say, Beatrice assisted by the seven sisters of purgatory and coupled with Lucifer as an actual character? That would be short, yet painful and quite bloody.

@ Raghar

The ChäoS;HEAd visual novel is one of the better thingies to come out of japan in years. You have good taste and stuffies.

:love:

Did you play the Noah version or the PC one? Noah is available both for Xbox 360 and PSP, and it has new routes focused on each of the Gigalomaniacs, which is cool given it's quite stupid to create such an awesome cast of characters to have their traumas, personalities, and particular forms of insanity only hinted at and implied in one or two scenes.

And the PSP Noah version has the best opening video and song from all the available ones.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I like these games in principle actually. It's just that I wish there's more to dating games than just pick multiple choices. And most often than not, it's not available for English PC. So yeah, the last 'dating game' I played was a side scrolling beat'em up called Duel Savior Justice which never got translated. I like the gameplay, the H parts are just bonus.

@ RK47

Neither Umineko nor ChäoS;HEAd are dating sims, they are visual novels. Interactive stories, basicaly. Or, well, ChäoS;HEAd is interactive, barely so in the original PC form and quite a bit more in the Noah version. Umineko is just a story you read through while enjoying the best music, like, totally ever.

Also, isn't Duel Savior Justice the one that happens in the same universe, multiverse, or setting than Otome Crisis? I have to add that one to my games about witches thread.

RK47

Patron
Oh wait it's more like Ever 17? I finished that game but I never understood why it's a game of sort..it's just reading and reading and reading..I like the story, but wondered where's the 'game'? Might as well watch anime.

As for Otome crisis, it's terrible. Stupid power ups dropping from the sky and bombs breaking your combo chains. That shit is just retarded. Popamole.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So is the fighting game any good? Or is it that Otomo Crisis the fighting game the trailer of which was posted earlier?

RK47

Patron
So is the fighting game any good? Or is it that Otomo Crisis the fighting game the trailer of which was posted earlier?

To clarify. What Black Cat posted. Isn't fighting game. It's a 'choose your own adventure' storybook in Japanese. I don't know the plot and such, but there's graphics, lotsa dialogue, kinda like what Planescape Torment should've been. Imagine Lone Wolf without the combat pages.

My link, Duel savior justice is side scrolling hentai fighting game. It's a beat'em up with 2d graphics that made Dungeon Siege 3 combat boring in comparison.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
BC did post a link to a trailer of an Umineko fighting game once though, or was the fighting game part just a mini-game barely there?

RK47

Patron
Wow, you're right. Beats the fuck out of me, bro. This one she posted reminds me of GG.
I think it's like that vampire novel - what do you call it oh, Melty Blood - the one where this kid can cut through people's life line...oh happy new year, fire works outside the window. Happy 2012. :salute:

Back on topic, the Vampire game started as an interactive novel and branch out into fighting game. I seen the machine in arcades before.

I guess this Ougon Musou Kyoku series has one too.

@ Vaarna Aarne

I love the fighting game, myself. As some said it's kind of a light fighter and not a super competitive one, but it is both really pretty, it plays smoothly, and it has some pretty interesting mechanics like the world switching and different characters having particular mechanical bonuses. The music, as it befits Umineko, is beautiful and awesome, and the characters are all distinct, both superficially and in gameplay.

And it has... wait for it...

:love: Witches!

Game of the year, every year.

@ RK47

Is Otome Crisis really that bad? I got it because it has a witch on it but never yet got to play it beyond a little bit to try it out and stuffies. :(

RK47

Patron
Compared to Duel Savior Justice? Yeah, very much so. I don't play it for the story, just for entertainment sake, but picture playing streetfighter with anvils dropping your head every 2-3 second. I have no complaints about the fighters and move lists, but that dropping from the sky randomness was blah.

MaroonSkein

Augur
I didn't like the Umineko fighting game because of the tagging. Felt too Marvel to me. At least it's not as loose and floaty as Marvel. The world switching mechanic looked interesting too, so if you're into tag team fighting games, you might want to give it a try.
Bah, Puzzle Fighter is still the king of all fighting games! :p
1325350421312.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom