Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Update #19: Prototype Getting Combat and Parkour, New Screenshots

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
LGS games have always experimented with player movement - 3d in Underworld, leaning, crouching and crawling in Shock (plus those laser skates!), stealth, mantling and rope arrows in Thief and SS2... if they try new things for this project, so much for the better.

Sonus

Educated
The usual concerns are of 1., that they meet the deadline with a polished game for the expected player types who are long-time fans of Blue Sky+LGS; those who still wish for a return of what's been missing for them in the industry. And 2., that precision or fast-twitch playing is never forced, but simply another choice, another set of goodies in the toolshed. At least allow save anywhere.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Today we are updating the Prototype build with new gameplay features. First up is more advanced movement modes. The team are fans of Jackie Chan movies, Parkour and David Belle, and American Ninja Warrior. Moving through a space with grace, flow and just feeling awesome doing it, is one of the goals for movement in the Underworld.

Should be read in thick Eastern European Accent to realize how retarded it is.

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
LGS games have always experimented with player movement - 3d in Underworld, leaning, crouching and crawling in Shock (plus those laser skates!), stealth, mantling and rope arrows in Thief and SS2... if they try new things for this project, so much for the better.
Exactly...i don't get the talk about this being too ambitious and not rpglike. This is Paul Neurath ffs. Combining rpg mechanics with interaction in a 3d space is what UU was all about.
I'm actually glad they think big in terms of making this a spiritual successor, instead of making it another mediocre 3d action rpg.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Certainly sounds...interesting I mean whoever thought Ultima Underworld mixed with Mirrors Edge is either a fucking genious or a fucking retard

Neither. We already have Messiah of Might and Magic and that was meh.

Also, this ain't no UU successor. I just see someone trying to make a run of the mill game and how it exactly plays will be determined by Unity (ie it will be Unity same same game 101: "Like Ultima Underworld")

I find their whole approach interesting. When I first heard that they want to make the combat slow and stat-based (Morrowind right away comes to mind), I was very disappointed. Over the years I have really become a proponent of player-skill over character skill, as I think that translates into fun and interesting gameplay. But now, what they are trying to do with player-skill based abilities being unlocked by the player who wants them, that is very intriguing. I don't know if it will work out well, or better than pure player skill based systems, which I generally like, but this should at least make for an interesting experiment. Any company trying something new these days deserves respect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find their whole approach interesting. When I first heard that they want to make the combat slow and stat-based (Morrowind right away comes to mind), I was very disappointed. Over the years I have really become a proponent of player-skill over character skill, as I think that translates into fun and interesting gameplay. But now, what they are trying to do with player-skill based abilities being unlocked by the player who wants them, that is very intriguing. I don't know if it will work out well, or better than pure player skill based systems, which I generally like, but this should at least make for an interesting experiment. Any company trying something new these days deserves respect.

The combat will not be stat-based, for the simple reason that there are no stats

Darkzone

Arcane
ICH10016.jpg

Hwy, I had this castle when i was a kid...

1986-heman-castelo-de-grayskull-estrela_iZ324XvZxXpZ1XfZ120686590-464805146-1.jpgXsZ120686590xIM.jpg
hmmm... almost...:negative:
Because the first one looks like the small series remake (MotU Classic) in 2013-2015 with extra add on.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Still as weird as it sounds I am cool with their experimentation, having player skill based systems sounds about right for their whole approach; the same way that Thief was based on player skill instead of stats and their parkour ideas...
Maybe the fact I am not very invested in this lets me see things in a more "ah cool" sort of way
But if they fuckup System Shock 3 with their "innovations"...
:mob:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That looks like shit, I was ok with the jumping around to get to higher plataforms, maybe the sliding but the wall running... Fuck they should be doing a Unreal shooter as this shit doesnt fit their medieval theme at all
I understand this is a test and all but the concept of what they have in mind is what what totally turned me off

So it's more or less going to be a first person Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? FP platforming seems like an annoying concept though; from what I've seen of Mirror's Edge it "works" because it's a long linear map for you to zip through and feel ze rush without getting hung up on too much precision work. Combining FP parcour with minute positioning when evading guards a la Thief or solving puzzles or whatever seems like it'd become frustrating.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's more or less going to be a first person Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? FP platforming seems like an annoying concept though; from what I've seen of Mirror's Edge it "works" because it's a long linear map for you to zip through and feel ze rush without getting hung up on too much precision work. Combining FP parcour with minute positioning when evading guards a la Thief or solving puzzles or whatever seems like it'd become frustrating.

The prototype arena is just demoing this particular feature. You won't have to parkour in the actual game, in all likelihood it'll be an optional character build.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Just stack crates or cast a levitation spell or something.

I think the parkour stuff is going to be integrated into character development, so you won't be able to do it by default.

I don't see the problem, how else do you make speedy rogue characters more than just crappy fighters who can pick locks.
Parkour is part of the warrior tree, BTW.

They also mentioned they were adding abilities above the baseline of player skill, so they don't artificially gimp the player.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Even if that turns out to be true, it doesn't matter since anybody can take anything

Shevek

Arcane
This is sounding like a souped up version of Enclave/Rune/Blade of Darkness. Should be fun.

Cortex_Reaver

Novice
I'm loving the shitty awkward sword play. Very Thief like. None of that "make the player feel empowered" bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom