Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unlocking Mounted Combat in Oblivion OMG OMG!!

denizsi

Arcane
Judging from all the reviews and impressions I've read, which goes beyond saying shit like "omg NPCs sit and drink!", I'm having a hard time understanding this one thing;

Why did Beth not want to implement a half-assed mounted combat system? Wouldn't it fit perfectly with the rest of the game? Or did they not have a go at making one in the first place? ( which is very likely, since there are things which indicate this even if mildly)

On a side note, I'd like to mention two 10+ year old games with mounted combat, on air and on groud: Terminator: Future Shock (That was 1995!) and Terminator: SkyNET (1996). Both are Beth games. No, there was never a pre-defined path for the vehicles in the game. You could try driving up a mountain and get stuck there.

Also these two titles are probably the very first 3d non-racing games to feature combat with functioning vehicles in a very accomplished way, and even make them available to players in deathmatch in multiplayer!. Read: vehicular MP combat in 1995! Battlefield my ass.

The controls of the vehicles - A military jeep with an attached turret which fires laser and rockets, and one of those flying shits in Terminator movie (here; http://www.goingfaster.com/term2029/vtoltech.html) with more rapid laser and the same rockets - were incredible good and responsive, very smooth. Think of the dune buggy in HL2. The exact same thing ( even the wheels were rotating for real in relation to the speed and direction, unlike the pseudonym effect in the first NFS ).

You could hop on and off them in the game as you wished. And if you hopped off the flying thing in mid air (ah yes, you could do that! ), it would even land down on the ground itself in a simplistic manner. Quite some shit for a game in 1995 in my opinion.

Of course I'm sure there is a lot more to implementing a mounted combat system but still.. they had the important basics, the infrastructure back then. I can't believe how Beth games devolved through time.

I'm compelled to believe that the departure from their proprietary "Xngine" with all the years of experience and familiarity ( all of their games up to and including Redguard used that engine, except for ancient 2d platformers perhaps ) made them move around like headless chickens and in the end they got so mind-fucked, they just can't help screwing around now. That's where, I believe, they got lost.

Another indication of that; The animations of the robots and the players ( as all of them were nice 3d models) in multiplayer in those two Terminator titles were much smoother (even if fewer as one might expect ) than what we see now. Plus when you looked up/down in Morrowind, your avatar didn't even bend; he just stood still like a stick and you moved the camera angle. In both Terminator titles however, player models bend up/down in conjunction with how much you look up/down.

These two games are up in my Beth games list, right after #1 Daggerfall, and bfore #3 Arena.

This is not to say "graphics suck this sucks that sucks" or that graphics are everything, but to show how Beth degraded with time in skill and innovation.

Chefe

Erudite
I believe the official word on it was that mounted combat made fighting in the wilderness too easy, and the system wasn't perfect so they didn't want to add in a half-assed feature, because they were aiming for a game that had fewer but more perfect features.

Unfortunately, from what I hear fighting is pretty much easy anyways. It also seems that the rest of the features are less than half-assed, they're quarter-assed.

Simply put: Bethesduh r dumb.

Crnobog

Liturgist
Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you sincerely wish you had some meat.

denizsi

Arcane
Chefe said:
I believe the official word on it was that mounted combat made fighting in the wilderness too easy, and the system wasn't perfect so they didn't want to add in a half-assed feature, because they were aiming for a game that had fewer but more perfect features.

Yes that was the official word, but I find it highly suspicious. They haven't even made horse-riding right. As what it is now, it's alrady quite half-assed. Also
jJudging from the countdown video with the horses, it's just an ugly and kind of a "laggy" sight when you rotate on your horses. Looking at the game as it as now, I don't buy it when they claim they made a mounted combat first but it unbalanced the game so they took out.

It also seems that the rest of the features are less than half-assed, they're quarter-assed.

That's why I said even a half-assed mounted combat could make it into the game.

Also, MSFD has stated that every single formula in the game is editable regarding skills etc., so if the reason for taking out a mounted combat system implemented earlier were unbalance, which is usually a statistical problem, then I'd think that it could be fixed anyway. They either never made it, or they just couldn't pull it off, failing to implement a system in the first place.

Chefe

Erudite
Crnobog said:
Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you sincerely wish you had some meat.

Not if you were a vegetarian. In that case, you wouldn't want the sandwich to have meat on it. People in this mindset usually think killing animals to eat is wrong. These kinds of people are usually hippies. Hippies smoked alot of weed. They smoked this weed during the 60's and 70's. This was also an era of mucho sex. Having sex can sometimes produce children. Smoking weed while pregnant can damage your baby's brain cells. Back then, not much was known about the side effects, so people did whatever they wanted. That was almost 40 years ago. The Bethesda staff are around their mid 30's to early 40's. Their hippie parents probably smoked pot while pregnant, thus enforcing my point that Bethesda is composed of idiots.

Chefe

Erudite
Maybe you unlock mounted combat once you get a certain number of points in Xbox Live.

Or maybe you have to beat the game twice without dying once and without using any special moves.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Didn't sacred have mounted combat? Hardly revolutionary, but very enjoyable. And how fast you rode wasbased on the horses stats and your own riding skill,etc.

denizsi

Arcane
Didn't sacred have mounted combat? Hardly revolutionary, but very enjoyable. And how fast you rode wasbased on the horses stats and your own riding skill,etc.

One would think Beth needs High Math Profs to adjust those stats to "un-unbalance" the mounted combat they "claim" to have made and later took out.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
For a moment I though someone found a way to implement mounted combat :evil:

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
HardCode said:
Pr()ZaC said:
For a moment I though someone found a way to implement mounted combat :evil:

Someone did:

www.taleworlds.com
You mean...
dagfall.gif

The Internets

Scholar
I think it would be cool in some situations, worthless in others. The wolves that chase your ass all over are one example of worthless. To stoop waaay over and stab at one seems a bit much.

That said, when your horse gets attacked it fights back on its own, so why couldn't that get modded into your control scheme? I'll give that one some time.

One way that would seem worthwhile would be to romp around the woods hacking heads off at the neck. That would be sweet, but probably hard to control.

I don't miss it at this point.

HardCode

Erudite
Never played DF *ducks* At that time, I dropped out of PC gaming a while. It was "bar season" back then.

FaranBrygo

Educated
HardCode said:
Never played DF *ducks* At that time, I dropped out of PC gaming a while. It was "bar season" back then.
The bugs made it hard for the game to gain greatness. There were two plot lines in DF that came together part way through, different ways to solve the quests (main and side quests), and multiple possible endings, although choices you made earlier to do not conflict with possible endings. Some characters do betray you, a trait forbidden I believe in Morrowind and Oblivion. Daggerfall had some inventive quests, although most boiled down to goto dungeon, get item/kill thing.

HardCode

Erudite
I know enough of the gameplay of DF from this forum. I just didn't know if it was 3D. With its age, I assumed 2D.

FaranBrygo

Educated
HardCode said:
I know enough of the gameplay of DF from this forum. I just didn't know if it was 3D. With its age, I assumed 2D.
It was 3D alright. Bethesda used the same graphics engine that powered Terminator: Future Shock on Daggerfall.

Section8

Cipher
Daggerfall had some inventive quests, although most boiled down to goto dungeon, get item/kill thing.

Ah, but even though the templates were obvious, the actual actions involved were usually pretty interesting, and the time limits imposed added a whole extra dimension to questing.

"Go here, do that" is misleading if the process of getting to your target involves many challenges. After all, you could essentially dismiss Fallout as being nothing more than a FedEx item quest and a kill task, completely ignoring everything the player has to go through to get said item and kill said critter.

Chefe

Erudite
Daggerfall wasn't real mounted combat. It was normal combat with a horse sprite in the middle of the screen.

Edit: My 2052nd post. Oh joy! Oh rapture!

FaranBrygo

Educated
I was going to mention the interesting story most of the quests had but I got lazy, so here it is.

I particularly liked the quest to rid a merchant of his hated mistress who happened to get herself kidnapped by the Dark Brotherhood. The merchant wanted to make sure she didn't make it back so you could A)Steal the ransom that her vile cousin has stashed away B)Kill her C)Kill the cousin
What could have been a standard ransom quest got turned on its head.

The standard ransom quest that was in the game, man had his wife/girlfriend/daughter kidnapped by Thieves Guild, turned out different if you were a member of the Thieves Guild. If you were a member with enough status the ransomers would end the operation after learning of your involvement out of fear and respect. It was a nice little touch.

The mummy's finger, stolen book, and fake gold are some of the other memorable ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom