Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Unreal Engine 5: final nail of Unity's coffin?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't seem to find the thread for this, but it's pretty big.

https://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engi...royalties-on-their-first-dollar1m-in-revenue/

Unreal Engine games no longer owe royalties on their first $1M in revenue

By Tyler Wilde a day ago

Epic used to collect royalties after $3,000 in revenue per quarter.

ATKgZTRo5gvvXeZRM6ypAL-320-80.png

(Image credit: Epic Games)
On top of unveiling Unreal Engine 5 today, Epic Games announced that developers who build games with the Unreal Engine will no longer pay royalties on their first $1 million in revenue.

The Unreal Engine has been free for anyone to use for a while, but until this change, 5 percent royalties were due on commercial Unreal Engine games once they made $3,000 in a quarter. This new $1 million threshold in is measured in lifetime revenue.

It isn't too complicated, but for example, a game which made $2 million in gross revenue would owe Epic Games $50,000, because it would pay 5 percent of $1 million, keeping the first million entirely—minus whatever other fees are owed, such as Steam's cut. (For revenue earned on the Epic Games Store, Epic still waives the five percent royalty fee entirely, so devs just owe the 12 percent Epic Store distribution fee.)

RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU...
pcgamer_mobile_carousel.svg

For comparison, Unity doesn't draw any royalties from commercial games. Instead, the engine maker charges $1,800 a year for Pro license, which is required for Unity installations in companies that have brought in $200,000 or more revenue or funding in the past 12 months. The Unity Pro license also includes source code access and other features not available in Unity's free versions.

This change to Epic's royalty model is retroactive to January 1, and you can see more about how Unreal Engine royalties work here.

Unreal Engine 5 will release next year, and like the latest version, will be free to use. The royalty scheme announced today will apply to all versions of the engine, and when the time comes, games made in Unreal Engine 4 can be moved to UE5—more details on that announcement here.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
While I prefer Unreal ofc, Im not sure this will kill Unity.

Its still beginner friendly and has a large community, tons of assets, etc.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Based Epic always pushing the market forward with their pro-developer policies.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dont know why the OP care so much, that blueprint system on Unreal will mean alot of inneficient games written by people too lazy to learn how to code, the greatest advantage of Unity is the lack of a visual programming system right now so people are kinda forced to learn how to code C# at least. I cant imagine the amount of buggy, spaguetti code written asset flips made on Unreal by people that dont know how to code. Why people think people who do asset flips, people who many times dont even learn how to code will improve?

Naraya

Arcane
I don't know. I can always tell when a game was made in Unity. They all have this plastic, artificial feel and atrocious loading times. In my opinion Unreal is much more performant and somehow games... just feel more professional?

duke nukem

Augur
I dont know why the OP care so much, that blueprint system on Unreal will mean alot of inneficient games written by people too lazy to learn how to code, the greatest advantage of Unity is the lack of a visual programming system right now so people are kinda forced to learn how to code C# at least. I cant imagine the amount of buggy, spaguetti code written asset flips made on Unreal by people that dont know how to code. Why people think people who do asset flips, people who many times dont even learn how to code will improve?
In unity you need even less skill to do. Just buy one asset like unitz from unity asset store and rename it and publish.

Let's take a look at the character shown in the demo:
unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo_smjw.1080.jpg

Those eyes: :prosper:
images

Worse than fortnite's characters.
Yeah, unity looks lot better:
8ed55e00-f9f6-4202-ad08-88ec31d0025f.webp

Codex Year of the Donut
In unity you need even less skill to do. Just buy one asset like unitz from unity asset store and rename it and publish.

images

Yeah, unity looks lot better:
8ed55e00-f9f6-4202-ad08-88ec31d0025f.webp
image.png

https://unity.com/the-heretic

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Unreal engine 5: final nail of unity's coffin

images

A 12 year old kid with anorexia and cat genes.

This shit is scientifically optimized for the sexual needs of 14 years old boys, what do you expect.

Burning Bridges

I have played a few games with Unreal and I must say this is fucking amazing.

For example Train Sim World is only a small studio and they can't program for shit, but the graphics are pure win

Burning Bridges

Yeah, that's why everyone is using Unity, oh wait...

Unity is such garbage :lol: many companies have gone bancrupt only because they use Unity (for example the Zero-G / Hellion guys who if it wasnt for their engine almost made the Star Citizen killer on a shoestring budget). Others are pretty near finished because they simply cannot get this shit to work.

A few games are indeed looking decent but would look much better with a real engine.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

The lack of a Blueprint System is actually another big downside to Unity.
The system works, it's efficient and you can make a well optimized game with it. The problem is most people think that you don't need any programming knowledge to use it. And that is false.
Thanks to Blueprint graphs, you don’t have to type in the code in text form, but you still have to construct the same code sequence using graphs.
You don’t need to "learn to code", but you need to think like a programmer. You still have to know all the code functions that UE4 has to offer, to make a game. The difference is just connecting certain graph nodes, that represent code functions, instead of copy pasting the code sequences from the manual. Either way – you still have to know how to construct scripts, equasions, how to count angles, use arrays, hash tables, bools, floats, vectors, etc…

DeepOcean

Arcane

Unreal Engine 4 is free to use under this license. A 5% royalty is due only when you monetize your game or other interactive off-the-shelf product, your lifetime gross revenues from that product exceed $1,000,000, and your gross revenues from a calendar quarter exceed $10,000.
Umm... Why didnt they mention this little detail?

Codex Year of the Donut

The lack of a Blueprint System is actually another big downside to Unity.
The system works, it's efficient and you can make a well optimized game with it. The problem is most people think that you don't need any programming knowledge to use it. And that is false.
Thanks to Blueprint graphs, you don’t have to type in the code in text form, but you still have to construct the same code sequence using graphs.
You don’t need to "learn to code", but you need to think like a programmer. You still have to know all the code functions that UE4 has to offer, to make a game. The difference is just connecting certain graph nodes, that represent code functions, instead of copy pasting the code sequences from the manual. Either way – you still have to know how to construct scripts, equasions, how to count angles, use arrays, hash tables, bools, floats, vectors, etc…
blueprints were a mistake and do nothing but fragment the ecosystem, no real game will be made using them just demos from designers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom