Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

US version of the Witcher

Solaris said:
Saxon1974 said:
Wow, that is pretty stupid.

I agree I have said a long time it is very bizarre that people get so upset about nudity but are ok with people being killed in nasty ways. Seems like that should be worse to see for a kid.

The move "Saw" is an R rated move however, and wouldnt be shown on regular TV, but in movie theaters and pay channels. You can however regular TV channels nationwide that show people's heads blown of.

I don't get it, never have.

I don't get either.

It's one of the great mysteries of the world I think.

Sex in the media promotes promiscuity that can lead to reproduction. In turn leads to urban sprawl and overpopulation. This is bad.

Violence in the media promotes assault and murder. This helps the population control of usually unsavory (lower class) individuals. This is good.

It could be due to much more complicated factors like the religious and racial history of the US, but im not so sure!

obediah

Erudite
Matt7895 said:
I was just about to laugh and say 'How can Americans find nipples so offensive when films like Saw IV are released every year'.... then I remembered Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl. Lulz.

Hey, I was in Rome when the original Saw was released there. There were signs with cold amputated limbs all over the cirty. Most of them were on the little billboards on the sidewalks at crowded intersections - right at little kid face level.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Firewater Burns said:
Solaris said:
Saxon1974 said:
Wow, that is pretty stupid.

I agree I have said a long time it is very bizarre that people get so upset about nudity but are ok with people being killed in nasty ways. Seems like that should be worse to see for a kid.

The move "Saw" is an R rated move however, and wouldnt be shown on regular TV, but in movie theaters and pay channels. You can however regular TV channels nationwide that show people's heads blown of.

I don't get it, never have.

I don't get either.

It's one of the great mysteries of the world I think.

Sex in the media promotes promiscuity that can lead to reproduction. In turn leads to urban sprawl and overpopulation. This is bad.

Violence in the media promotes assault and murder. This helps the population control of usually unsavory (lower class) individuals. This is good.

It could be due to much more complicated factors like the religious and racial history of the US, but im not so sure!

The violence is needed to make combat and killing a cool thing, making you want to join the army to do the real stuff. Then, one could guess that violent games are a preparation for joining the army. For example, the US Air Force promotes the Do Something Amazing! site through game sites.

http://www.dosomethingamazing.com/

caliban

Scholar
There is sex in the game because there is sex in Sapkowski's books, which are based on folklore, fairytales and mythology (mostly Slavic, but also western: Celtic etc). Ribaldry is inherent in folk tales, sexual innuendo can be found even in modern fairytales (which are for children, OMG!!).

So is this little bit of erotica really such a fucking problem, that it must be criticised and discussed in every fucking TW thread? Get over it, ffs!

Texas Red

Whiner
You know, I wish they would forbid women to dress like they do now. Every guy goes around being tempted and distracted.

Otingocni

Novice
And what theories do we have about German censorship? That it is designed to prevent the rise of the Fourth Reich?

It is no secret that the ESRB is harsher towards sex than violence, and American publishers see an AO (Adults Only) rating as a game killer, as most major retail stores will refuse to carry it. To my knowledge, the only released games that earned an AO rating for violence have been Manhunt 2 and The Punisher, and both were reworked before release to bring that down to a M. So it is a bit of voluntary censorship by publishers for commercial reasons, because retail stores want to avoid controversy.

caliban

Scholar
Actually, mastectomy should be compulsory at age 18. That way we could avoid all the distractions and unclean thoughts caused by looking at those thongs women have attached to their chest.

I know it may seem a bit harsh, but it's necessary to uphold the decency and moral values that made America a great country.

Micmu

Magister
Lethal Weapon said:
Click here for the uncensored version of the NPC.
ORC ORC ORC ORC ????
icon_dribble.gif

Lethal Weapon

Novice
micmu said:
Lethal Weapon said:
Click here for the uncensored version of the NPC.
ORC ORC ORC ORC ????
icon_dribble.gif

You mean ORC as in warlike creature or ORC as in Open Rerearch Compiler? Anyway, I think she's a druid and you can see more of her in the uncensored version (someone mentioned the carpet matching the drapes).

Micmu

Magister
You mean ORC as in warlike creature or ORC as in Open Rerearch Compiler? Anyway, I think she's a druid and you can see more of her in the uncensored version (someone mentioned the carpet matching the drapes).
Too bad. At least she's green and has a nice, tastefully placed skull necklace.

Ordered!

slipgate_angel

Scholar
No nipples in amarican version? So it's okay to have the witcher slice & dice with a sword, but when it comes to nudity, purity of the human anatomy, we shy away and hide privats? Kids are still going to get the wrong impressions when they play the witcher...even then, dumb teens and kids shouldn't even be playing these type of games.

Sorry, but I forgot that if there were nipples in the amarican version, then it would be consider AO, which wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the fact that AO titles barly sell. -.-

Please watch

Yatzee makes a good point in this review. As for the Witcher thing, I may actually import a UK version, if that's possable. XD

aries202

Erudite
pug987 said:
aries202 said:
As for the whole sex & nudity thing you really see the same attitudes towards this in some South European countries e.g. most South European countries are at par with the US when it comes to the view on the sex & nudity issues while most Northern European countries and the Scandinavian countries have a somewhat more relaxed view on the sex & nudity issues than both the US and most South European countries have.

There has never been a cencored game in my country as far as I know. Of course noone would go to the trouble of cencoring a game for such a small country but still things are pretty free here. As for sex and nudity, everyday the TV is full of it.

As for the other South European countries, I can hardly believe that Italy is at par with the US when it comes to those issues with shows were half-naked women try to find an item in a pool filled with colored balls with a man dressed as a snake grabbing and pulling trying to prevent them from finding it. :P

I can't speak about Spain, Portugal or Malta but if you count Turkey among the South European countries then they may have an even strickter additute towards nudity and sex than the US.

I understand what you're saying and maybe I didn't explain myself well enough :?: The point was to say that Scandinavian countries are more ok with the showing of nudity etc. than some South European countries are - at least when it comes to games. Both Italy and Denmark use the PEGI rating for games so it really is a compromise and a balance between nudity, language and violence.

The Witcher's PEGI rating is 18+, If I'm not too mistaken. I'm OK with this, but I can also tell you that the average Danish teenager probably will have seen his parents naked hundreds of times, so they aren't too surprised or interested in seeing naked pixelated boobies or playing with sexcards they get in a game. In some family-oriented series shown in prime time, TV shows stuff that would be shown late at night in the US --- it is that explicit. Nothing in the Witcher seems to be to be as explicit as that.

My take on this is that The Witcher really doesn't need to be censored, and if you're worried that little kids might see something they shouldn't see, then slap an 18+ rating on it. And lo and behold: PEGI did just that. If the parents think that it is OK for little Manuel or Peter to play The Witcher, then it must be so. I think you share this opinion or am I jumping to conclusions here :?:

I don't think, however, that any South European country would cut nipples from a game.
They are, afterall, a natural part of the human body. And the great painters of Europe have painted women in the nude - with nipples still on them. For some odd reason it seems that the US have a problem with nipples in games, tv-shows and movies marketed to the American family&their kids which I somehow get&understand. What I don't get is why a game like The Witcher whuch has been rated M has to be cut in order to sell at Walmart which checks the age of the gamer buying The Witcher anyway, making sure than nobody under the age of 17+ actually buys this game. It just makes me a litte confused in my head. Especially since the TV in the US also seems to full of sex and the city, eh, I mean Sex & Nudity...

edit:

Here's PEGI's ratring of the game 'the witcher'

http://www.pegi.info/da/index/global_id ... C3%B8gning

It is rated 18+ for violence ONLY (that's what the hand icon, the fist means). No rating for nudity, discrimination, sex or language since apparently you can say things like 'you momma suck on dwarf cock' according to a Swedish's newspaper's review of the game.
I'm not surprised that The Witcher got an 18+ from PEGI, but is the violence really that blood & gory?

mlc82

Scholar
Here in the US, we try to keep to that old historical Christian status quo- Violence Good, Sex Bad!

Remember the idiot parents who were horrified to find that the Grand Theft Auto games they'd bought for their children contained a hidden sex scene depicting nipples? I'd hate to have such an unsavory influence in a game otherwise concerned with morally wholesome actions such as stealing cars, murdering civilians, and dealing drugs. I mean really, come on- which would you rather YOUR kids be involved in one day? Drug dealing and murder (which could make them rich and famous in the MTV driven, appeal to the lowest common denominator pathetic society we live in here), or playing with the ultimate tool of Satan, human nipples?

Deacdo

Liturgist
slipgate_angel said:
Sorry, but I forgot that if there were nipples in the amarican version, then it would be consider AO, which wouldn't be bad if it weren't for the fact that AO titles barly sell. -.-
I suspect it is more Atari than the rating board. If console games like Conan and God of War can have nudity I'm sure a game like The Witcher would still get an "M" rating.

Inziladun

Magister
Oh yeah. People blow American's tolerance to nudity way out of proportion. It isn't necessarily that they're intolerant to nudity all together, they just want to protect 'tha innocent children!'. You see nudity all the time in R rated movies and M rated T.V. programs.

Anyway, the point is 'The Witcher' could get away with an M rating, as long as there isn't anything explicit. I'd be curious to see how the ESRB would react to the beaver of the Bruxa, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom