Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Using RPGs to learn a foreign language?

Atrachasis

Augur
Learning English with the help of games used to be a piece of cake back in the days of text-based games (ASCII graphics don't count)... I took up gaming in the days of Infocom and Magnetic Scrolls, and even my English teacher nodded his approval at this method.

My suggestion to you would be to consider interactive fiction, as text adventures are called nowadays, rather than RPGs. Graphics-based games just don't contain enough text, nor do they really force you to parse and understand it. An additional advantage is that there are a lot of freeware titles out there, although I have not come across many in French... but do peruse the Interactive Fiction Archive or Baf's Guide (unfortunately, the index of non-English games doesn't appear to be working, but a search for games in French returns 27 titles).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
MisterStone said:
I don't believe this shit... Canadian amazon.com doesn't have shit in French video games, unless I am missing something. Come on, someone throw me a bone here... where can I get me some francophile RPGs?
I take it you don't live in Canada. Then finding french games is going to be a bitch unless you import from overseas. Canadian online stores that have those only ship to Canada, those that I know of anyways.

Waitaminute. amazon.ca does sell french games. Search for vf or french in the video games section. Oh, but they only ship those to Canada. Looks like you're out of luck.

mondblut

Arcane
I learned english mostly from games (well, a bit of AD&D fiction too, but this counts into games too, really).

I also tried to play german games with a dictionary, but that was a wasted effort. Too little basic knowledge and too few games worth the effort.

Ammar

Scholar
I learned english partially from RPG's (Ultima V and the Underworld games mostly), but I picked up more by simply starting to read english books.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Why would I want to learn an inherently inferior language [/troll]

Seriously, though. How did you guys do this? Play the game with an english=>whatever dictionary until you started to pick it up?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Walkin' Dude said:
Why would I want to learn an inherently inferior language [/troll]

Seriously, though. How did you guys do this? Play the game with an english=>whatever dictionary until you started to pick it up?

Going into the game with an already existing knowledge of basic English, using a dictionary when I really don't understand a certain word, and getting all the other words out of the context. Like, when I see a halberd and it's called halberd in the game but I don't know what "halberd" means, I'll know what that word means as soon as I see that item having the name "halberd". It's simple as that. Nouns are easy. Verbs can be guessed out of context. Minimal dictionary-work required.

I do it the same way when watching a movie or reading a book. Okay, now my English is pretty advanced and I seldomly encounter words I never heard before. But if I meet such a word, I either immediately know what it is [if it's a movie or a game where I actually see the thing] or guess it out of the context. My only problem is that with some words that I've learned out of books, games or teh intarnetz... I read the word, know what it is, but always got the pronounciation wrong until I heard somebody speak it for the first time, which is a pretty lulzy moment :lol:
[like "wtf, I always thought you pronounce that thing differently!]

MisterStone

Arcane
Ismaul said:
MisterStone said:
I don't believe this shit... Canadian amazon.com doesn't have shit in French video games, unless I am missing something. Come on, someone throw me a bone here... where can I get me some francophile RPGs?
I take it you don't live in Canada. Then finding french games is going to be a bitch unless you import from overseas. Canadian online stores that have those only ship to Canada, those that I know of anyways.

Waitaminute. amazon.ca does sell french games. Search for vf or french in the video games section. Oh, but they only ship those to Canada. Looks like you're out of luck.

Amazon.ca can ship items from our Software and Computer & Video Games Stores only to destinations within Canada.

What. the. FUUUUUCCCK. Dammit.

Is the result of some kind of retarded law, or intellectual property concerns or what? Fuck. I guess I'd better give Amazon.fr a shot... it's going to hurt buying stuff in Euros...

Hmmm... let's see here. In the cheapie section (which has stuff that I can afford, that my computer can run, and that have more text we've got...

Civilization IV
Pharaon Gold (That means Pharoh, yay I just learned a new word)
Myst 4
Stonghold 1 and 2
Caesar 3
Various settlers games
Archlord
The shitty new bard's tale
D Siege 1 and 2
Sacred
Age of Wonder

Ah, FUCK. Amazon.fr won't sell me video games from France. Fuck you amazon. Sigh.

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
I just end up renting foreign movies to help me get accustomed to hearing the language. Itz defunutly cheepur. It seems everybody learned English from these games...what's a native English speaker to do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom