Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

vain, naiive question.

damaged_drone

Novice
lets say i want to make an rpg. where do i start?

ha!

seriously tho...

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
Take elements of the genre, which were established a decade ago, give them new fancy names and call them your innovations.

MountainWest

Scholar
I'd say a simple first step would be on paper. Everyone has these grand ideas for movies, books and games they'd like to create - omg, I can write much better than this loser ftw - but it's not until you actually sit down and make them visible on paper you'll know if they're any good. If you think they're good, hope to god you're a person that can objectivly critizice your own work (cause many can not) and then pass it on to friends so they can critizice it.

Without proper education a second simple step would be modding.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MountainWest said:
I'd say a simple first step would be on paper. Everyone has these grand ideas for movies, books and games they'd like to create - omg, I can write much better than this loser ftw - but it's not until you actually sit down and make them visible on paper you'll know if they're any good. If you think they're good, hope to god you're a person that can objectivly critizice your own work (cause many can not) and then pass it on to friends so they can critizice it.

Without proper education a second simple step would be modding.

Yea, I also got such an amazing idea for an RPG. It's unlikely I'm ever going to do it, but I'm already thinking about storylines and quests, just for the fun of it.

Castanova

Prophet
Learn how to program or how to raise enough money to hire programmers. Make sure you have a playable build as soon as possible and then have chimpanzees test your game all the way until completion. If they have trouble, remove complex features. Then get Atari to distribute it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Castanova said:
Learn how to program or how to raise enough money to hire programmers. Make sure you have a playable build as soon as possible and then have chimpanzees test your game all the way until completion. If they have trouble, remove complex features. Then get Atari to distribute it.

He said he wanted to make an RPG, not a game labelled RPG for no visible reason.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
Put in at least two of the following:
Swords
Elves
Bloom
Stats

And you have yourself an RPG.

What about Fallout then? Well okay, it had stats... and there was a vibroblade, I think.

JoKa

Cipher
@JF: please do a sarcasm-check before answering...and reread the posts you've quoted...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
JoKa said:
@JF: please do a sarcasm-check before answering...and reread the posts you've quoted...

I know that it was sarcastic. My reply was also sarcastic. Make a sarcasm-check on replies to sarcastic posts :wink:

LCJr.

Erudite
Jim Kata said:
JarlFrank said:
JoKa said:

I know that it was sarcastic. My reply was also sarcastic. Make a sarcasm-check on replies to sarcastic posts :wink:

He was being metasarcastic.

He was being a douche.

damaged_drone said:
lets say i want to make an rpg. where do i start?

ha!

seriously tho...

Make an RPG?! What are you, some kind of idiot? Do what every other company does. Purchase the rights to a beloved RPG franchise, make a game that's an Action/Shooter, and then just slap the RPG-moniker on the box. Hire Casey Hudson and Peter Molenieyskljsuex to handle PR, slip a few Benjamins to IGN every few months, and then you'll be set.

Oh, and I second the good Admiral's Bloom recommendation. Better yet, make it HDR. Its an acronym, its a technical buzzword, and put those two together and hardware geeks will eat that shit up.

flabbyjack

Arcane
MountainWest said:
Thats from a writing/setting/story standpoint. Lets talk about the actual game shall we?

Try to take a class about game design, but make sure the class is something you'd want to take ahead of time -- it shouldn't be a class about scripting, but about game design.

If you have a vision of your game and it's gameplay, create a features list. It lists the things you can do in your game, and the way it plays. It should be rather exhaustive. Keep it simple, you'll want to talk to a computer programmer(C++) who can tell you the best way to implement your features, which ones just won't work, and basically which ones are feasible.

Software projects are mostly planning and testing. There are more formal software project design documents, but there are books about that. But this isn't the first step.

kris

Arcane
If he is on a one man project it is best to use a engine, like that ISO-world we see a link too in this forum.

MountainWest

Scholar
flabbyjack said:
MountainWest said:
Lets talk about the actual game shall we?
Be my guest.
Thats from a writing/setting/story standpoint.
Yes, isn't that a part of an RPG? A Big part? But why limit yourself to that trio? Why not quests, branching quests, dialouge, branching dialogue, NPCs, features - about everything that makes an RPG except the coding?

Hence my suggestion:

Write down your RPG on paper. If you can draw pictures to go along with the text, all the better -> Look at it and realize that what you have makes for one shitty RPG, or look at it and say, hey, this is pretty darn good -> Send it to friends, friends that are able to tell you what's good and what's not good. Not your "Hey, dude! Wanna go for a beer"-friend but one that could give you constructive feedback. For example a programmer or a writer . I thought that was obvious. -> Start modding = a cheap way to create your first RPG, and you'll probably learn tons along the way.

Is this the only way? No. It's one way to start out. A very EASY way to start out.

And that's exactly what he asked for. He asked where to start, and that in a language that made me think of a kid with a dream and no prior education. He didn't say: "Hi there, I'm an 30 year old expert programmer/writer/designer with this neat idea that I'd like to have ready for sale next christmas. Should I licence an engine or should I code my own?" And you appareantly didn't think he was either since you suggested he attended a game design course. So what's the problem?

Or where you talking of a Doom-kind-of-game? Then I could understand your dismissal of my suggestion to start out your career with writing.

A big reason the game industry is retarded is because the people involved aren't artists. Most have deep understanding of mathematics, physics, coding and technology. But at the same time zero writing experience. They couldn't make ONE good quest even if their life depended on it. They could make it look good, but they couldn't make it play good, or feel good, or make one think.

Nah, write your RPG first. Then start programming. The other way leads to a game filled with features and no game. Like Oblivion.

User was nabbed fit

Admiral jimbob said:
Swords
Elves
Bloom
Stats

You forgot the fucking boobies!

Jim Kata

Arbiter
flabbyjack said:
MountainWest said:
Thats from a writing/setting/story standpoint. Lets talk about the actual game shall we?

Try to take a class about game design, but make sure the class is something you'd want to take ahead of time -- it shouldn't be a class about scripting, but about game design.

If you have a vision of your game and it's gameplay, create a features list. It lists the things you can do in your game, and the way it plays. It should be rather exhaustive. Keep it simple, you'll want to talk to a computer programmer(C++) who can tell you the best way to implement your features, which ones just won't work, and basically which ones are feasible.

Software projects are mostly planning and testing. There are more formal software project design documents, but there are books about that. But this isn't the first step.

Any class about design will probably be totally bogus and probably just formualize the game.

Software design documents are useless when you have one programmer. They only matter for legal reasons or when you have a large team of developers or to impress clients you know what you are doing.

If he doesn't have any programming skill AT ALL then he will have to basically use another engine that already does 90% of what he needs which is in most cases being virtually equivalent to a modder...and not just the low level parts of the engine, if that makes any sense.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
ViolentOpposition said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Swords
Elves
Bloom
Stats

You forgot the fucking boobies!

Come on, mate, the guy's just starting. We're just covering the essentials at this point, boobies are one of those additional features that make an RPG great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom