Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Van Buren/FO3 good news

Spazmo

Erudite
You're British. It's colour for you.

Deathy

Liturgist
I think it's more of the "I don't even know how to spell my own name" if you're British.

Feh. They create the English language and they don't even know how to use it anymore.

Voss

Erudite
Except they didn't create it.
It is a bastardized hodge-podge of a half-dozen or so different languages that simply accreted over the centuries.

Thats why it is so fucked up.

Jed

Cipher
Constipated Craprunner said:
That is not really true. In that case, all languages are not really made by thier people if they are indo-European. They are infact Russian-Ukranian, because that is where the indo-European languages started.
"In fact"? Do you have access to the written records of these people? Oops, that was long before writing. You know someone who was around then? Honestly Crappy, you need to be a little less strident in your sweeping declarations. Whose theory are you citing? The common belief is that the indo-european language family originated in the middle east, not russia or the ukraine.

Voss

Erudite
Constipated Craprunner said:
That is not really true. In that case, all languages are not really made by thier people if they are indo-European. They are infact Russian-Ukranian, because that is where the indo-European languages started.

It isn't really true? How so? First of English is a highly specific case (and not a good example of typical European languages), it started as a local dialect (in the region around London) with an Anglo-Saxon root, but was heavily influenced over the centuries by Celtic, Latin, French, and Scandinavian languages (the Celtic and Scandanvian languages influenced it at all levels of society, while French and Latin were top down influences, coming primarily from the upper classes and church, French of course, largely coming after the Norman Conquest), with German reinforced from time to time, and some Greek in educated circles. This is why you find all these different languages being listed in dictionaries as the roots for different English words.

And you can't really classify Indo-European languages as Russian-Ukrainian as those political entities didn't exist during the migration period. It's like calling something American prior to the 16th century (which is pushing it, even then). There were also way too many different groups in that region to pin it down on any of them. Russia, like England, had a lot of influence from many migrating groups with different linguistic and cultural bases, in addition to the groups that stayed in the region. Its why Russia (in various incarnations) has had a great deal of trouble with ethnic conflict over the centuries.

On the other hand, Jed, I have seen theories placing the root of the Indo-European language families around the Ural mountains. What became the 'Euro' language groups migrated west, and the 'Indo' groups migrated south (and then southeast).

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
That was my point.
English is certainly extreme, but look at French- the native Romanized Gallic language was as much Latin as it was Gallic (similar in Northern Italy because of Gallic influence), so that is two distinct branches of the Indo-European uber-language right there. Then in comes the Francs who add alot of German words. Then came the Hundred Years war, where many English nobels sat on French titles. So that is three primariy influnces, and one already mixed beyond belief influence-Engish.
Or Greek. I dont think that anyone would argue that modern Greek is not a language, but modern Greek is for the most part a mishmash of Bulgarian, Turkish, Armenain, Latin/Italian, French, Thracian and some of the Anatolian languages. So many influences that it has a larger vocabulary than English so I am told.

Spazmo

Erudite
a) Don't ressurect old, dead threads.

b) Don't ressurect them with such complete idiocy.

c) Fuck you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom