Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Very promising upcoming title

Loki

Educated
From Dust

The interactivity with such a high quality graphics engine is what has got me most excited, not sure on the gameplay.

Some are saying that it's a high-end minecraft, but I see the human element of minecraft entirely lacking, which has been a large part of the infectious appeal.

Either way, something to keep our eye on.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's Ubisoft, man. Abandon all hope. You'll be the game will be doing complex stuff for you while you'll be twitching a space bar and nothing else.

Raapys

Arcane
Looks cool. Will probably end up being very disappointing. I think the problem with games such as these is that the developers just make the engine and think "great, 90% done, now let's put on some gameplay and ship it".

You'll have fun messing around with those neat engine features for a while, then realize how shallow the game is.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I get a "Black & White" vibe from the video, specially after looking at the floating symbol. Anyway, looks interesting, but there's plenty of room for what skyway said here.

Loki

Educated
yeah, I don't see any sign of really good gameplay, it looks limited. I just think it's a promising sign of greater games to come. Really love the fluid interactivity and spanning of vast stretches of time.

Raapys

Arcane
Can't argue with that, but at the same time I feel I've been thinking that very thing for like 10-15 years now. Someone shows a cool concept or tech demo, and 5 years later every 'proper' game that comes out is still just another mindless clone where none of these new features are even considered.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Uh huh. And it will end up being a tech demo.
Have you noticed the constant trend with "do-what-you-want" games? They just make a map/world/etc, drop player into it and expect that you'll entertain yourself yourself (this goes for aforementioned Minecraft too)

Terramorphing is fun and all for a while. But what's the point?

Raapys

Arcane
That's why I'm greatly looking forward to the time when computers are fast enough, and AI programmers are smart enough, to make actual thinking( and talking) NPCs. Combine this with completely realistic world/nature interaction and you likely wouldn't even need to do anything but place some NPCs here and there and drop the player in the middle of it. Imagine the fun of trying to convince a NPC that he is really just...well, a computer simulated being created for your amusement.

Loki

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Have you noticed the constant trend with "do-what-you-want" games? They just make a map/world/etc, drop player into it and expect that you'll entertain yourself yourself (this goes for aforementioned Minecraft too)

Minecraft is an utterly facinating feat of programming. It's a game that has been programmed, but not designed. Yet, it was programmed so well, that great designs emerge from the underlying principles of the game. When I play that game, I find myself forming a large array of unique goals, and the struggle toward those goals leads to interesting situations with real tension, a sense of high stakes, and strategy. when I play minecraft, I don't feel like I'm aimlessly playing around with no point, I feel all the things I feel when playing a good action/adventure game, it's goal oriented adventure, it just has the added perk of creative building. On top of that, a buddy of mine is running a server where they are playing with the source code to create quests, using a town of programmed npc's who deliver dialog that leads you through a game within the already great content. It's a beautifully flexible and adaptive piece of work.

Baron

Arcane
Ordinarily I'd agree with the anti-Ubisoft comments...

But this is Eric Chahi. Eric "Another World" Chahi.

anotherworld2.jpg

As far as I'm concerned Ubisoft gets my credit card number and the keys to my car.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Another 2010 member detected.

Lawl some dev did a single game of his own worth playing 2 decades ago, Ubisoft I like your cock!

Baron

Arcane
Chahi is a unique and creative designer, Urkanistan. Another World is one of my all time favourite games.

And secondly, you're Skyway. Three more years on the 'Dex doesn't give you any greater authority when it comes to gaming, just fourteen thousand more uses of :(

MetalCraze

Arcane
Baron said:
Chahi is a unique and creative designer, Urkanistan.
Unique in that he doesn't make games?

Another World is one of my all time favourite games.
I like it too.

And secondly, you're Skyway. Three more years on the 'Dex doesn't give you any greater authority when it comes to gaming, just fourteen thousand more uses of :(
It doesn't give any authority. I just use common sense.
1 good game ~20 years ago doesn't mean anything. Moulyneux was good 10-20 years ago too. So are Thief/System Shock developers which now churn out Guitar Hero and Biocock. Plus Ubisoft is in charge and they made nothing but attrocious shit in the last... what? 4-5 years?

Tycn

Savant
MetalCraze said:
I just use common sense.
Common sense would be to avoid making judgments based on your preconceptions when other information is available. Needless to say, the one known as Skyway is notorious for refusing to do so.

Loki said:
Minecraft is an utterly facinating feat of programming. It's a game that has been programmed, but not designed. Yet, it was programmed so well, that great designs emerge from the underlying principles of the game. When I play that game, I find myself forming a large array of unique goals, and the struggle toward those goals leads to interesting situations with real tension, a sense of high stakes, and strategy. when I play minecraft, I don't feel like I'm aimlessly playing around with no point, I feel all the things I feel when playing a good action/adventure game, it's goal oriented adventure, it just has the added perk of creative building.
I think you might find this of interest:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying

Oblivion is a superior goal oriented adventure to Minecraft. It actually has goals.

Anyway, the tech demo looks pretty damn cool.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tycn said:
Common sense would be to avoid making judgments based on your preconceptions when other information is available.
It's Ubisoft. What other information could possible redeem this fatal flaw in the upcoming game?

Needless to say, the one known as Skyway is notorious for refusing to do so.
Actually I do consider all the information available. Always.

spectre

Arcane
Minecraft? Black& White?
Naw, it's just Populous all over again, just look at the tribal huts, they even have similarly looking symbols over them.

Which isn't bad, it's been some time since I last played any populous, couldn't get 3 to work on Win7 for the life of me.

Also, purdy water effects.

Tycn

Savant
MetalCraze said:
It's Ubisoft. What other information could possible redeem this fatal flaw in the upcoming game?
I find it far more reasonable to believe that Ubisoft's influence is probabilistic rather than absolute, which results in the shittyness of their games being slightly less transparent. Besides, most of their popamole is channeled towards established cash cows. This seems like it could be novel enough to escape their corrupting influences.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Tycn said:
Common sense would be to avoid making judgments based on your preconceptions when other information is available.

Ubisoft have zero redeeming qualities, this smacks of a ploy to garner support for the legions of fans they already fucked hard with no lube and sand for grip for months. Note it only talks about AC2 and Splinter Cell, none of the other games.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/const ... oft-games/

Now, for me, if the DRM was gone, I MIGHT look into the game further and possibly check it out, but the DurRM Ubisoft has a hardon for just smacks of stupid asshole treat customer like a criminal.

Joghurt

Augur
Ubisoft cannot into good games anymore. I'm trying to remember the last game I enjoyed that was made by Ubisoft and the only thing that comes to mind is Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and it was long ago (2006 ?). And that game wasn't even THAT good, but I enjoyed it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Exactly. It was a neverending stripe of shit since then, consisting of nothing but games that you literally play with a single button, smashing your space bar to death for all character actions, and linear railroad even in shit like Ass Creed makes sure you won't have to press something else.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Luzur said:
guys, GUYS!

its just Populous: Next Generation., okay?

Except it's probably gonna have less gameplay. Until proven otherwise, this game is unnecessary and most likely shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom