Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Vince D. Weller interviewed at Down the Wall

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lestat said:
75% of gamers in Russia
Only 159 votes have been cast by this moment
Don't you see something wrong here?
Have you studied sociology by any chance?

Fez

Erudite
If these sorts of systems and interpretations are okay for the various political lobbies then I don't see why Lestat can't get away with it.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Ander Vinz said:
Lestat said:
75% of gamers in Russia
Only 159 votes have been cast by this moment
Don't you see something wrong here?
Nope, but most of my friends prefer the originals to localized versions, and it's not like only elitists who refuse to talk to less discerning human beings are among them. I'm positive that there are money to be made in this segment.

Fez said:
If these sorts of systems and interpretations are okay for for the various political lobbies then I don't see why Lestat can't get away with it.
:D

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lestat said:
Ander Vinz said:
Nope, but most of my friends prefer the originals to localized versions
Please, stop it. Go read something about polling then.
You sound like that humorist: "I asked my friends if they need Chechnya. Nobody needs it."

Lestat said:
I'm positive that there are money to be made in this segment.
Well, you may be right. I wish you were.
But look at Snowball:Originals - nobody wants it. They aren't selling good enough.

Fez said:
If these sorts of systems and interpretations are okay for for the various political lobbies then I don't see why Lestat can't get away with it.
Stop giving him ideas.

Jesus, if they have to add another CD to the box to get both versions, then why the hell not? I mean, it's not like they're going to lose customers by doing it. And you can twist it anyway you like, but 10 extra sales is still extra sales. You're just arguing for the sake of it. Stop acting retarded.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Ander Vinz said:
Lestat said:
Ander Vinz said:
Nope, but most of my friends prefer the originals to localized versions
Please, stop it. Go read something about polling then.
You sound like that humorist: "I asked my friends if they need Chechnya. Nobody needs it."
I'm not pretending to be a professional sociologist, you know. I'm just saying that there seems to be a demand for originals, at least in St. Petersburg.

Lestat said:
I'm positive that there are money to be made in this segment.
Well, you may be right. I wish you were.
But look at Snowball:Originals - nobody wants it. They aren't selling good enough.
This may have something to do with the games that are released under this logo. Sins of a Solar Empire, Europa Universalis 3, Hearts of Iron - all of them are niche products.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lestat said:
I'm not pretending to be a professional sociologist, you know. I'm just saying that there seems to be a demand for originals, at least in St. Petersburg.
Nope. You're saying that your friends want to play originals. Nothing reflects that "Russians" and "St. Petersburgers" have a great interest to play games in english.

Lestat said:
This may have something to do with the games that are released under this logo. Sins of a Solar Empire, Europa Universalis 3, Hearts of Iron - all of them are niche products.
And arr peee geees aren't niche.

Dementia Praecox said:
Jesus, if they have to add another CD to the box to get both versions, then why the hell not? I mean, it's not like they're going to lose customers by doing it.
We're not talking about adding original version to the box. And I've never heard about such thing. Any examples?

You're just arguing for the sake of it.
You misunderstood. Re-read and use your brain if it's not inconvinient to you.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Ander Vinz said:
Nope. You're saying that your friends want to play originals. Nothing reflects that "Russians" and "St. Petersburgers" have a great interest to play games in english.
Ever heard of inductive reasoning?

Less niche than 4X strategies, that's for sure. If you give it a good deal of publicity and mention Fallout enough times, you may sell quite a number of copies.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lestat said:
Ander Vinz said:
Ever heard of inductive reasoning?

Weak induction

I always hang pictures on nails.
Therefore:
All pictures hang from nails.

119 of 159 visitors of ag.ru which participated in the poll want to play games in english
therefore
"75% of gamers in Russia are interested in being able to get original version of games"

"most of my friends prefer the originals to localized versions"
therefore
"there seems to be a demand for originals, at least in St. Petersburg"

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Ander Vinz said:
Weak induction

I always hang pictures on nails.
Therefore:
All pictures hang from nails.

119 of 159 visitors of ag.ru which participated in the poll want to play games in english
therefore
"75% of gamers in Russia are interested in being able to get original version of games"

"most of my friends prefer the originals to localized versions"
therefore
"there seems to be a demand for originals, at least in St. Petersburg"
I knew you would reply with something like this. :) Anyway, I'm not trying to calculate precise numbers, I'm merely saying that more than a one unshaved man and his parrot are interested in originals. Publishers are unlikely to lose any money on releasing a relatively small number of copies, around 5000-7000.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Lestat said:
I knew you would reply with something like this. :)
Actually I wanted to go with something like "This. Is. RUSSIA!"

Anyway, I'm not trying to calculate precise numbers, I'm merely saying that more than a one unshaved man and his parrot are interested in originals.
Publishers are unlikely to lose any money on releasing a relatively small number of copies, around 5000-7000.
Well, since you put it that way, I'm in.

Ander Vinz said:
We're not talking about adding original version to the box. And I've never heard about such thing. Any examples?
Then what the hell are you on about then?

Ander Vinz said:
You're just arguing for the sake of it.
You misunderstood. Re-read and use your brain if it's not inconvinient to you.

Ander Vinz said:
Lestat said:
ND has a nice habit of releasing the original version along with the localized one (see Dreamfal, Psi-Ops and several other titles). Iron Tower certainly can try negotiating this.
And why would they want it? To sell ten more copies in Russia?
What's there to misunderstand? Please enlighten me, oh all-knowing being of arcane prowess.

Ander Vinz said:
Anyway, I'm not trying to calculate precise numbers, I'm merely saying that more than a one unshaved man and his parrot are interested in originals.
Publishers are unlikely to lose any money on releasing a relatively small number of copies, around 5000-7000.
Well, since you put it that way, I'm in.
And you're implying that I'm daft?

MetalCraze

Arcane
ag.ru pretty much represents all gamers in Russia. to date it's the most popular site there. though it's too early to judge by that poll.

Ander Vinz said:
which rpgs do you mean? if it's oblivion and co - then sure. but if those are old school rpgs that require brains - then you can't be much wronger.
just take a look at all mainstream forums and see how many people are discussing mass-genres like rts, actions/shooters, arpgs - and how many people are discussing old-school stuff like motb - not speaking about the older ones.

Morbus

Scholar
I prefer original versions, so it's only logical that everybody else does ;)

j/k

Ander Vinz

Scholar
to Dementia Praecox
Lestat said:
ND has a nice habit of releasing the original version along with the localized one (see Dreamfal, Psi-Ops and several other titles).
It's not two in one. It's two version separately. Lestat is misleading you.

Btw, what's with your "I'm smart and you're stupid" attitude?

skyway said:
which rpgs do you mean?
We're talking about AoD here so hardcore ones, I suppose.

Ander Vinz said:
Lestat said:
Sins of a Solar Empire, Europa Universalis 3, Hearts of Iron - all of them are niche products.
My remark should be read as "they're niche too", not taken seriously, skyway.

sabishii

Arbiter
Ander Vinz said:
Btw, what's with your "I'm smart and you're stupid" attitude?
It's an extremely advanced logical art, hidden within the mists of the Eastern mountains, that disintegrates the opponent's argument by striking at its weakest point with the piercing needle of irrelevant accusation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom