Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Visualization vs text.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, i've found out as time goes by that i'm pretty much immune to most graphic hoorishness. I think there is a reason - i find it easy to visualize text, by way of intensive book reading/piracy.

Of course "visualizing" the thing is not exactly what is going on, more like a mental image-like symbol is created in my mind that replaces the actor. ^The symbol (or idea of the image) is not always used - that would be awkward to say the least - but whenever i subconsciously feel like it, it can emerge in a narrative as a (semi-consistent) visualization.

This - of course - makes good books awesome, and awesome books re-readable.

I've noticed a similar effect - but reduced - in wordy games like PS:T and BaK.

Does a similar effect ever happened to you in either:
1) A "wordy" game like the above mentioned, or even a IF game?
2) A game with little text, but consistent symbolic representation that is supposted to replace something more detailed like a rogue-like or the older ultimas?

I'm interested in watching a discussion in how symbols replace images and vice-versa in games.

protobob

Liturgist
First of all, don't respond further to anyone's comments here. The truth is that you've passed a certain mental threshold that will open doors to untold mental and spiritual progress. Sadly the lower forms of sentience on this forum will be unable to appreciate it. But we do. Expect to be contact by my organization within the next week. I can't say who or what we are, but without us the human species would still be living in caves.

Until then, contemplate potted house plants.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/2115781/

Wyrmlord

Arcane
If your game has extraordinarily bad graphics, you need to keep it to text as far possible. I do not want to see ugly pixelated faces moving their mouths.

DraQ

Arcane
I automatically visualize descriptive text all the time, especially if it's well written, so yeah.
I also have no problem complementing even relatively spartan graphics, although I may if the graphics is artistically inconsistent (realistic+symbolic, for example), utilizes what it takes poorly or is otherwise in state of disharmony (for example, a lot of 1337 shadurz and very blurry textures). I have no idea when it comes to symbolic representation, though early sprite graphics often bordered on symbolic.

I agree that you should tell what you are not able to show properly, rather than trying to show this poorly or in a gimmicky way (melee hit flashes, etc), then failing. Good text is good.

ChristofferC

Magister
Yes and yes. Isn't it like that for everybody? Otherwise I could understand why so many people hate to read books.

denizsi

Arcane
The text on the arena painting you face after you die in AoD combat demo is the best thing about the combat demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom