Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VOTE - Top Codex JRPG List - Using Scores - Closed

Gastrick

Cipher
I created a new top Codex JRPG list poll. Using the same system that felipepepe uses for the yearly best RPGs, but with some changes. People off Twitter aren't allowed to vote in this one, so there needs to be a way to filter them so they can't respond. The way to get around this is if everyone who takes this poll writes a post to confirm they did in this thread. Something like "Voted in the poll".

I chose a different software than the one Google uses, it should make submitting it a lot quicker, given that it uses horizontal radial-buttons instead of vertical ones. As I discovered recently though, it has a bug where editing your response is impossible for guests. Thankfully, I figured out a way around it, that I create a duplicate version of the poll and that allows everyone to vote another time. The old responses are still saved, so it is only necessary to score any new or changed responses.

The hope is that this ends up returning more prestigious results than the previous list. Pretty excited already.

THE LINK: CLOSED

Scoring methodology:
I've studied about statistics, and know the best way to depict the data. The aim is to only keep the results from JRPGs with at least 5-10 votes, so that a game played by 1 person and given a 5 doesn't reach the top of the list. It's so you can make a reliable guess of the Codex opinion of the game, like how many amazon ratings there needs to be to know whether a product isn't actually broken. Based on how many votes this poll receives, I'll be able to raise the votes cutoff point closer and closer to 10. Then from there reveal the top 10, and perhaps also the top 25.

It'll be possible to also rank the games in the major series from best to worst.
I'll put the results into two categories, one for all the games included, and one for "pure" JRPGs so one without Souls-like games.

Let me know in the thread if there's a missing game that you think has a chance of reaching the top places. As long as it's actually an RPG, and didn't come out in 2022, I'll add it in.

Closes August 22.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
It's how much i liked the game or how good do i think it is? Persona 3 is rough around the edges but i loved it when i played it, opened my eyes to the megami tensei franchise so it has a special place in my heart but it's objectively inferior to the secuels or mainline titles.

Yes, i'm autistic.
EDIT:Voted

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Let's be real, i don't think results will change that much, fags here fellate Chrono Trigger and FF shit like there's not tomorrow, specially niggers from the WRPG forum that only come to vote even if the last JRPG they played was back when they were 8 yo. If you really want to get true results only votes from people that frequent the "What are you playing right now?" thread should count, at least you know they play shit. We will have baby shit like Pokemon, Chrono Trigger and FF games in the top again when there should be Saga games up there.

Most people don't have unlimited free time to play dozens and dozens of JRPGs. If they only have a limited amount of time to play JRPGs then they're probably going to play the most acclaimed ones. You're setting aside your free time to have fun and playing the ones everyone says are fun is most likely to bring you fun, over playing some random obscure JRPG that people hardly ever talk about. Ofcourse Final Fantasy and Pokemon are going to be at the top.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Most people don't have unlimited free time to play dozens and dozens of JRPGs. If they only have a limited amount of time to play JRPGs then they're probably going to play the most acclaimed ones. You're setting aside your free time to have fun and playing the ones everyone says are fun is most likely to bring you fun, over playing some random obscure JRPG that people hardly ever talk about. Ofcourse Final Fantasy and Pokemon are going to be at the top.
Peak cattle mindset. Gotta play popular stuff to talk about on discord am i right? How about forming your own taste you retard nigger faggot. You fucking disgust me, people like you kill niche stuff so now every fucking game plays the fucking same.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
All I ask is that people replay Chrono Trigger before they give it a good rating. I've played it recently and I'm convinced it's the most overrated JRPG of all time. It sucked to me back then and it sucks even more now.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not that I know anything of JRPGS and won't even vote, but why isn't Elden Ring in that list? Is it too new or too hyped?

Gastrick

Cipher
Because its an old PC game made in America. Also, that I heard it is only a meme to say it's a JRPG.

Not that I know anything of JRPGS and won't even vote, but why isn't Elden Ring in that list? Is it too new or too hyped?
Nothing from the last year, just because of how new things can be overhyped. Also, that then it'll be only people who buy it new who are voting.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I voted but I really don't understand why the Souls games are on the list. Nothing about them fills any jrpg cravings.

"Hey I love Final Fantasy 4, you know any other games in the genre?"
"Got you covered, bro..."

I also wouldn't put the action-adventure/RPG-lite games like Secret of Mana or Terranigma on there.

But seriously, just because, as a joke, we put Souls games in the jrpg category on the Codex that doesn't mean you should do so on your poll.

And where is Secret of Evermore? Also not a jrpg and also American but Secret of Mana is on there.

Edit; oh you explained this at the bottom of your post, about having two result categories. Didn't see that. Ignore my question.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I created a new top Codex JRPG list poll. Using the same system that felipepepe uses for the yearly best RPGs, but with some changes. People off Twitter aren't allowed to vote in this one, so there needs to be a way to filter them so they can't respond. The way to get around this is if everyone who takes this poll writes a post to confirm they did in this thread. Something like "Voted in the poll".

I chose a different software than the one Google uses, it should make submitting it a lot quicker, given that it uses horizontal radial-buttons instead of vertical ones. As I discovered recently though, it has a bug where editing your response is impossible for guests. Thankfully, I figured out a way around it, that I create a duplicate version of the poll and that allows everyone to vote another time. The old responses are still saved, so it is only necessary to score any new or changed responses.

The hope is that this ends up returning more prestigious results than the previous list. Pretty excited already.

THE LINK:

https://cryptpad.fr/form/#/2/form/view/Iwag8kUGLSw7yROfTSeM9asXqniv5wmSLK+gW8VltWg/

Alt version for edits:
https://cryptpad.fr/form/#/2/form/view/MAZwBvGF6yQUFTSl06qF9B7CHg+FgTYfP3FxUmPON54/

Scoring methodology:
I've studied about statistics, and know the best way to depict the data. The aim is to only keep the results from JRPGs with at least 5-10 votes, so that a game played by 1 person and given a 5 doesn't reach the top of the list. It's so you can make a reliable guess of the Codex opinion of the game, like how many amazon ratings there needs to be to know whether a product isn't actually broken. Based on how many votes this poll receives, I'll be able to raise the votes cutoff point closer and closer to 10. Then from there reveal the top 10, and perhaps also the top 25.

I'll put the results into two categories, one for all the games included, and one for "pure" JRPGs so one without Souls-like games.

It'll be possible to also rank the games in the major series from best to worst.

Let me know in the thread if there's a missing game that you think has a chance of reaching the top places. As long as it's actually an RPG, and didn't come out in 2022, I'll add it in.
Why does this form require my name? I don't want anyone to know the shit I like. Everyone will make fun of me when they find out!

Gastrick

Cipher
Why does this form require my name? I don't want anyone to know the shit I like. Everyone will make fun of me when they find out!
The idea was to be the simplest way to make the poll only be taken by Codexers. Alright, I'll try and think of something that'll make it more anonymous.

Edit; oh you explained this at the bottom of your post, about having two result categories. Didn't see that. Ignore my question.
Which questions are you still asking then?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just two.

In Germany we used to distinguish between (j)RPG and action-adventure. I always found this a very useful distinction. Basically RPGs were closer to PC RPGs and action-adventures were closer to character action games.

So by that notion The Legend of Zelda (clearly not an RPG) would be an Action-Adventure, as would similar actiony games like Secret of Mana. Is there a reason this distinction isn't made in the list, or does the English-speaking world perhaps see no difference at all? Or is the intention to be more of a "game from Japan with RPG elements" poll?

And two, I'm wondering by what reason Secret of Evermore isn't on the list? Granted it isn't Japanese but it's the same genre as Secret of Mana so by that logic it should be on the list.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
But seriously, just because, as a joke, we put Souls games in the jrpg category on the Codex that doesn't mean you should do so on your poll.
Dark souls is in the codex top 70, so clearly it counts as an rpg in the eyes of the community, regardless of subforum labling.

Gastrick can you please add the rest of the rance series?
Rance 01, Rance 02, Rance 03, Rance IV, Rance 5D, Rance Quest Magnus, Rance IX.
The list already has a dozen fire emblems and final fantasies.

Is it possible to edit votes after submitting?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I didn't say it wasn't an RPG, I said it wasn't a jrpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom