Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Walking around in real life - The Pokemon Go thread

leino

Cipher
Pokemon go seems pretty neat tbh

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Anybody know of a way to play real Pokémon on iOS? I'm craving a Nuzlocke playthrough of Leaf Green or Silver for the nostalgia, but with some added challenge, and GO wouldn't do jack shit for that.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Anybody know of a way to play real Pokémon on iOS? I'm craving a Nuzlocke playthrough of Leaf Green or Silver for the nostalgia, but with some added challenge, and GO wouldn't do jack shit for that.
Here you go.
Sorry, been to that link a dozen times before, all results either require jailbreaking, or cost me money/lots of personal info.

Johnny Zaxxon

Literate
Now, I don't personally play Pokemon go since generally I don't like games that require me to go outside in 100deg weather. However, my wife, her friends, my kid and my kids friends all play Pokemon Go together and I think it is great. Personally, I think that the Pokemon go people are business geniuses in that I have rarely seen a videogame with such a wide range of player demographics. Moreover, even though they could make WAY more money by letting people buy their way out of having to walk down the street, they don't allow this and they stayed true to their original concept of going out and actually catching Pokemon, forcing otherwise couch dwellers to get off their asses.

So other than everyone trying to be comedians on internet forums, I don't see the reason for all the Pokemon Go hate.

hello friend

Arcane
What I can't figure out is how it caught on. Nothing new about pokemon, and the gameplay of Go is mechanically inferior to most of the franchise. Mobile games that require you to physically show up at hotspots has been done before too, there was that intervention, invasion, infinity - whatever it was called. And I am not aware of any significant marketing push either, though that might just be me being disconnected from what's hip and happenin'. But it seems to me that these factors, insignificant by themselves, combined to create this phenomenon. I don't get it. Maybe it's just one of those things.

Johnny Zaxxon

Literate
What I can't figure out is how it caught on. Nothing new about pokemon, and the gameplay of Go is mechanically inferior to most of the franchise. Mobile games that require you to physically show up at hotspots has been done before too, there was that intervention, invasion, infinity - whatever it was called. And I am not aware of any significant marketing push either, though that might just be me being disconnected from what's hip and happenin'. But it seems to me that these factors, insignificant by themselves, combined to create this phenomenon. I don't get it. Maybe it's just one of those things.
I don't know why it caught on but I can speculate. As you said it is not the tech. The mechanics being simple is actually a benefit to get more people playing the game i would bet. But I think the real draw is the ability to go to a real location and catch a pokemon because that is something that everyone who ever watched the show or played the games always wanted to do. It meets that need initially and then everybody gets 'GOTTA CATCH EM ALL"itis.

Game design genius because it is so simple but the gameplay makes so much sense its really easy for anyone of any age or background to play.

I still dont play it but people like to tell me about their experiences with it for whatever reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom