Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #4: Let's Talk Multiplayer

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How would losing a battle work in multiplayer? You obviously cannot reload. Imagine everybody in my party dies; do I get resurrected at a spawn point? Does the other group have to travel across the world map and right click all of my corpses? Or is losing a battle never fatal, and instead causes your party to "retreat" and suffer a debuff?

Last edited:

acer palmatum

Scholar
God, how misguided this whole co-operative (co-played?) multiplayer gimmick is... I mean, please raise your hand if you have a
-reliable friend/partner you can play with
-regularly
-in a timeslot where both of you are always available
-share a similar approach how to solve issues
-and who won't be a dick with you and go ahead to complete 90% of the missions while you are sleeping off your epic hangover after partying with trannies and sucking cocks on a regular Tuesday night

You know, Bayesian probability theory is showing us how fucking improbable it is for things with multiple trigger conditions to happen. This multiplayer thingy is an epic waste of time and resources. I'm just glad that it seems I will be able to enjoy meticulously exploring everything in Colorado in my own pace, according to my own rules and morals, writing my own story based on my own actions and my own sense and judgment.

*rises hand* have two friends who are interested. And I think I kind of like cleaning up mess done by them, it's a whole new experience. Of course I will play a singpleplayercampaign besides that, whenever both have no time. What are all those saveslots for anyway?

Bubbles: why should it not be possible to reload?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

How do you implement reloading in a co-op game where players can be doing different quests on different maps at the same time, possibly working against each other? You have to reload the game state for both players, and if one just beat a challenging battle while the other one got their party wiped, it's going to be boundlessly frustrating.

acer palmatum

Scholar

How do you implement reloading in a co-op game where players can be doing different quests on different maps at the same time, possibly working against each other? You have to reload the game state for both players, and if one just beat a challenging battle while the other one got their party wiped, it's going to be boundlessly frustrating.

Well there's got to be saves. I doubt you have to play Wasteland 3 through in one session. So I guess there are reloads, maybe like if you wipe your party in singleplayer only both have to go back to the last save. I would really be surprised if this wouldn't be possible.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Of course there will be save games, but I don't see them forcing a reload every time one of the players loses a battle.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Of course there will be save games, but I don't see them forcing a reload every time one of the players loses a battle.
I guess game will make different saves for each of the players and both will be sending important data to other player (like quest completions) and if you load a save before doing that quest the other player will get new data.. or maybe this will cause endless problems for the dev team, cause months of delays for everyone and it will be another game where MP will have ruined a good SP game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What if you give an item to the other player and then reload?

Weasel
Stop applying your pesky German logic to everything Bubbles, daddy Fargo is involved so just lie back and accept his multi-headed dose of incline :shittydog:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
This is the kind of question that the devs really should be answering right now - unless the answer would cost them sales, of course:

ZTrp7v7.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Split screen co-op is a much bigger draw than internet co-op; the typical image of modern console co-op is two people sitting on a couch next to each other, controllers in hand. If inXile don't offer a split-screen mode, it's going to make the co-op mode nearly worthless in a lot of people's eyes.

acer palmatum

Scholar
Split screen co-op is a much bigger draw than internet co-op; the typical image of modern console co-op is two people sitting on a couch next to each other, controllers in hand. If inXile don't offer a split-screen mode, it's going to make the co-op mode nearly worthless in a lot of people's eyes.

Maybe it is normally, but 2 groups of 7 chars each, in maybe two different locations... who would want to play that on one monitor/tv? I would go crazy.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That's assuming that the group size will still be seven. The developers have so far declined to answer that question.

Darkzone

Arcane
The co-op seems been not entirely thought through by InXile, if they cannot give at this point some specific informations.

norolim

Arcane
The co-op seems been not entirely thought through by InXile, if they cannot give at this point some specific informations.

They are probably still playtesting that system, to see how they like it best.
I don't think they are that far into the process. More like "We told them, we gonna have multiplayer. OK, guys, how da fuck do you make multiplayer?... [sound of typing] wikiped..."

M0RBUS

Augur
I have to say the only reason I completed D:OS was because I had a friend to push me on and make the experience more fun. Can't say I needed it for WL2:DC though.
I think I'll stick to single-player on this one, and I'm glad to see I won't be missing content by doing so.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Maybe multiplayer in this will turn out like modding tools in W2: nonexistent.

Sounds like boring, pointless bullshit anyway, but it's another one of Fargo's pet ideas so I guess he must do it. Remember he tried to sell the coop shit in the W2 Kickstarter, but it didn't work because of these pesky people who gave them money.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Maybe multiplayer in this will turn out like modding tools in W2: nonexistent.

Sounds like boring, pointless bullshit anyway, but it's another one of Fargo's pet ideas so I guess he must do it. Remember he tried to sell the coop shit in the W2 Kickstarter, but it didn't work because of these pesky people who gave them money.

That WL2 announcement was actually pretty critical of co-op:

We have received many questions about multi-player, and my feeling is that we do not think it would be the right decision for such a heavy narrative RPG. Even in an open sandbox world there are sequences and clues that need to happen in order for things to flow and make sense. This is not an MMO where we create instances of one-off events and scenarios, but it is a deep fluid world in which your actions do matter later. I don't want a game where my buddy triggered an event I didn't know and causes a repercussion for me, and at the same time I don't want to see every little event that my buddy sees to ensure I didn't miss it. Multi-player is a design issue and not a technical one in this case. However, we will introduce social elements like I hinted at above so there can be a communal type experience. * Note this would be TOTALLY OPTIONAL should you want to share.

***** Update for the update*******

Everyone remain calm....

There has been a lot of panic that any kind of element of sharing will ruin the classic old school RPG. I think some people are overreacting to the word "social" which I can kind of understand. But here is the bottom line. We will post a description of our thoughts in the forums and if YOU the fans still don't want it then we will not fight the majority. We can now get back to our normal shouting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More important than multi-player I would prefer to have a robust set of tools so the community can create mods and make the Wasteland world bigger than any one company ever could. Rest assured we are spending our efforts to determine at what tier we can have a team work on this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/195161

I wonder what changed his mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom