Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #5: The Cathedral of the Holy Detonation

daveyd

Savant
But after release, not 3 years in advance
What about trust? Don´t they earn it after developing a pretty neat game - if that happens - ?

inXile probably could have earned a lot more trust if they had waited until after T:ToN was released before launching a crowdfunding campaign for W3... especially considering that members of the Torment team (including some people who didn't work on W2) will be working on it.

The reasons inXile gave for doing the Fig campaign now rather than next year make a lot of sense but still, crowdfunding a game when you still have two yet-to-be released crowdfunded games doesn't sit well with a lot of people. Sure, T:ToN is in early access and reception on Steam has been "mostly postive" but they could have afforded to wait. Doing the fig campaign now is a lot safer for them in case T:ToN tanks.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
still have two yet-to-be released crowdfunded games doesn't sit well with a lot of people
I could agree with that - partly I even do - if there wouldn´t be the fact that the Fig campaign is a success so far.
Also the positive argument -
T:ToN is in early access and reception on Steam has been "mostly postive"
- you mentioned in your post is an idicator that most people trust inxile.
Considering these two facts - and others I am not mentioning - it is hard, but not impossible for me to understand why trust is an issue!
Taking a risk in this case is the more rational way to go!

Darkzone

Arcane
still have two yet-to-be released crowdfunded games doesn't sit well with a lot of people
I could agree with that - partly I even do - if there wouldn´t be the fact that the Fig campaign is a success so far.
Success or failure is a relation of this event to previous and past events in current or other enviroment (if it is not measured by a goal). From viewpoint of collected revenues this project could be called quite successful, since it has collected more money than WL2 and BTIV. But if you consider the amount of Backers to this point it does not compare to other inXile projects and most of the funds are investments that have to be paid back, if WL3 sells enough copies. This can be due to the choice of the enviroment (Fig) or due to other factors, like that dissatisfaction with WL2 and the currently not released project, that are in the production pipeline and etc.
So your statement "is an idicator that most people trust inxile" does not hold water in view of the amount of the current WL3 backers (15.6k) and the relation towards of WL2 (over 600k on steam and 61k backers on KS) and T:ToN (95k backers current and 75k KS) owners. Even BTIV had more Backers (around 27k) in this stage of its KS.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
But if you consider the amount of Backers to this point it does not compare to other inXile projects
A very interesting observation, but let us not forget that the campaign is still going on. The chances are existent that the number of backers will rise.

and most of the funds are investments that have to be paid back, if WL3 sells enough copies.
I do not see why this fact is a trust issue towards inxile for not delivering a pretty good game.

Darkzone

Arcane
and most of the funds are investments that have to be paid back, if WL3 sells enough copies.
I do not see why this fact is a trust issue towards inxile for not delivering a pretty good game.
Technically it states nothing about the expected quality of WL3, but investing is not equal to buying a game. And all the KS backers were true buyers of the game, but this is not the Fig model.
Investing does not mean that you consider the upcoming product to be good, just that it will reach an amount of sales where there will be an positive ROI. WL3 has the breakeven point around 380k of sold units and around 520k sales with an avg income of $21 + Steam / GoG share per Unit will result in a ROI of 1.36.
And even if WL3 is not that good, it is highly probable due to Fargo's Snake Oil Salesman skill of 9 from 10 that it will reach the required numbers, if Fig is still alive in 2021.
Btw. I think that this should be a legitimate skill in WL3.

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
Fargo's Snake Oil: +10 Barter when you sell broken items.

(We need self-tagging, I would Prosper myself right now)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom