Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Merc (the game)

dagorkan

Arbiter
I was going to say (my long post was lost in a computer breakdown) that I'm currently working on an RPG. Actually an RPG Combat System but with real strategic depth and realism (hit locations that matter). I want to turn it into a CRPG with some simple programming, C++ or something, but I don't have a clue how to do it (or the time to learn). Choose your stats, arms and armor, location then you just get a screen giving you your stats, your opponents stats and a simple top-down view hex board.

Personally I know it would beat the shit out of the combat in any existing 'CRPG' and I'd play a million graphically simple CRPGs like that but with real mechanics before I even touch Oblivion (I still haven't).

It's the gameplay that makes the game, not the graphics... Graphics/sound can be a nice bonus but without gameplay you have nothing. It's not hard to understand.

Test yourselves. Check out Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode. Then go and play NWN2. If you go for the second, just be honest and admit to yourself, you're just another whiny graphic-whore bitch.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
I totally disagree with you , im not an Oblivion fan , but i think at least semi decent graphics are in order to provide a decent overall experience , as someone else allready said a computer game is a sum of parts , its not PnP where the system makes the game , its Plot/Dialog/Sound/Gameplay/System/Graphics combination , some of those can be weaker then the others but in the end for me there is no real excuse these days for providing shit graphics , since its so easy to do with software and if you cant you can find thousands of hobists that would gladlly contribute on sites like cgtalk , people that still delude themselves to the fact that graphics is unimportant probablly still live in the 1980's.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
OsirisGod said:
I totally disagree with you , im not an Oblivion fan , but i think at least semi decent graphics are in order to provide a decent overall experience , as someone else allready said a computer game is a sum of parts , its not PnP where the system makes the game , its Plot/Dialog/Sound/Gameplay/System/Graphics combination , some of those can be weaker then the others but in the end for me there is no real excuse these days for providing shit graphics , since its so easy to do with software and if you cant you can find thousands of hobists that would gladlly contribute on sites like cgtalk , people that still delude themselves to the fact that graphics is unimportant probablly still live in the 1980's.

Either that or our body prodcues testostrone.

Roqua

Prospernaut
dagorkan said:
I was going to say (my long post was lost in a computer breakdown) that I'm currently working on an RPG. Actually an RPG Combat System but with real strategic depth and realism (hit locations that matter). I want to turn it into a CRPG with some simple programming, C++ or something, but I don't have a clue how to do it (or the time to learn). Choose your stats, arms and armor, location then you just get a screen giving you your stats, your opponents stats and a simple top-down view hex board.

Personally I know it would beat the shit out of the combat in any existing 'CRPG' and I'd play a million graphically simple CRPGs like that but with real mechanics before I even touch Oblivion (I still haven't).

It's the gameplay that makes the game, not the graphics... Graphics/sound can be a nice bonus but without gameplay you have nothing. It's not hard to understand.

Test yourselves. Check out Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode. Then go and play NWN2. If you go for the second, just be honest and admit to yourself, you're just another whiny graphic-whore bitch.

You, good sir, are a man of tatse and quality.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I wish I could make an argument for the case of art improving a game, but I can't think of any new good graphics games that are on par with some of the older ones in terms of gameplay. I guess maybe Zelda. The new Zelda's had pretty much the same gameplay elements as the old ones but were made better by the free range supplied by 3d graphics and the ability to fully take in your surroundings and go Ahhhh at the nice artwork. Other than that, I can't really think of anything. Guess I'll go back to playing Arcanum. K Bye.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Jasede said:
Roqua said:
(dumb shit)
Roqua said:
I want to be a dumbfuck.

hahahah. You're so funny.

Art is beautiful. Form beats function. I can picture you walking through a museam in tight jeans and and a head full of hair product, sipping a cosmopilitan, talking about fruity nonsense. I have an idea, why don't you go help your mother with the dishes? And then talk to her about proper hygene of your vulva, you fucking art fag.

Reading one of your posts is like listening to someone with down syndrome masterbate, but makes less sense and isn't as entertaining.

I hope Oblivion's awesome graphics bursts your monitor in awesomeness, and a piece of it flies at you and punctures your ovaries, you mary bitch.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You don't get it.
You just don't get it.

Do you even read my posts? Then you'd know I care little about special effects or bombastic graphics or high resolutions or whatever. My favourite RPGs to date are RoA and Wizardry, all of them, and I replay them to this very day. You work like a computer, Roqua. You make a judgment of "graphic whore"/"non graphic whore", but not only are your criteria stupid, no, it's also a very one-sided way of viewing things. I'd rather go with you for dinner than play Oblivion, I'd rather touch your mother than play NWN 2.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Sure. And you think a lot of great games are unplayable because of superficial nonsense related to graphics, which you label as art. You also judge a game's gameplay value based on screenshots. Computer roqua is calculating and the result is Ms. Jasede equals graphics whore who probably dreams of naked boys frolicing in front of his window, with little-boy ballsacks flapping in the wind as they ride their bicycles to and fro as their sweet, innocent little boy giggles amplify the beuaty of the sun and peacefulness of the day, and the nice, warm feeling your crotch makes as the blood forces the estrogen out of your labia and and replaces it with your seldom used penis erection.

Anyone can say they like good games, only graphic whores dismiss due to graphics whoreness, and in your case, a little bit of pedophilia.

I hope you got your mommy's dishes to sparkle. Remember, wipe front to back so your cunt doesn't stink from feces particles, bitch.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok, name the games I dismiss because of my graphic whoredom.

Wait, I'll do it for you:

LIST OF GAMES I WON'T PLAY BECAUSE THEY'RE UGLY

Avernum 1/2/3/4

END OF LIST

Conclusion: Fuck! You were right all along. I am a wussy graphic whore! I don't see the glory of Avernum! Oh dear me. And just because because I'm such a stupid tool that only wants good graphics/artwork/furbutt.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
OsirisGod said:
Are you missing the obvious here or what? Even if you talk som hobbyist CGTalk member into contributing graphics to your game, you're going to see demands for compensation is some form or other as soon as the game starts selling. On a tight budget it's by no means given that you can afford to pay a graphics artist. And how does your "graphics software = good graphics" line of reasoning work exactly? Are you saying that graphics software has some inherent ability to make good graphics? Last time I checked graphics software was just another tool to be used. Wether or not the result is good is up to the artist. Finally, yes, graphics are unimportant.

Back to the topic: Tell us more of the gameplay. Screenshots alone doesn't say much.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Ms. Jasede, I'll reply to your silliness when I get home from work, you cocksucking pansy ninny.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No, I don't care about your replies anymore. You have no common sense, no brain, and you're not even funny.

I've had it with your idiocy. Give me your address and I'll send you plane tickets so we can settle this like the savage you are.

Oooh, but you won't say yes, I know. You're too much of a pussy to face me in fisticuffs.

Ladonna

Arcane
Why is the first thing that appears about a game is a screenshot? Any more news on how the game works?

Just to add something to the graphics/gameplay argument, User Interface is important as well. Many a game, no matter the graphics or gameplay, has been brought down by a toxic user interface.

Though UI could perhaps be part of the gameplay...hmm...Perhaps a topic on 'What is Gameplay' might add some spice.

Jasede: Loved the link. :lol:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Jasede said:
No, I don't care about your replies anymore. You have no common sense, no brain, and you're not even funny.

I've had it with your idiocy. Give me your address and I'll send you plane tickets so we can settle this like the savage you are.

Oooh, but you won't say yes, I know. You're too much of a pussy to face me in fisticuffs.

I live in Cumberland, RI. If you are buying me a ticket please have the flight leave from TF Green, its closer than logan. And if I'm flying wouldn't I need your address instead of vice versa. I can find my house without flying anywhere. But if you want it I guess I can pm you with it.

Let me articulate why you are a graphics whore and why graphic whores are so bad.
Since about 94-96, graphics have improved as the gameplay of rpg’s has suffered. People decided to stop valueing gameplay/game mechanics and judge a game’s worth based upon the superficial. Aesthetics. Nonsense when applied to an interactive activity. A great football game is a great football game whether not its viewed on a huge HDTV in HD or on a 9 inch fuzzy black and white. One way of viewing it might be more enjoyable aesthetically, but has no impact on how good of a football game was viewed. And football games aren't even interactive.

You have posted in many threads knocking the graphics of games that never tried to have the best graphics, perpetuating the common notion that games do not push the envelope graphically aren’t worth the hard drive space. I like, and appreciate games for being games and providing good gameplay. Big fancy graphic developers do not make the games I like. They are made by people that do not have the resources to poor into graphics, and having the finest “art” and graphics was never a goal of theirs.

You say Avernum is the only game or series you passed up due to graphics. I call bullshit. Avernum’s graphics are light years beyond wizardy 1’s, and even 6’s. You probably passed up countless games that were fantastic due to a bitch reason that you help perpetuate with your bitch comments. Hurting the sales of those games I like, and creating this myth that unless you can have great graphics you shouldn’t even attempt to make a game, which hurts my future chances of playing games.

Take this thread for example, 2 college students are making a game as a school project. Neither are artists, and the graphics are early. This was all explained in the first post. Yet you, like the bitch you are, have to throw in your graphics whore comments when they are unneeded, unwanted, and uncalled for. With your little gay graphic whore buddies chiming in. Look at the spiderweb thread. What useful bit of insight to you provide besides that the graphics suck? Nothing. Spiderweb has explained why the graphics suck, and anyone that isn’t a graphic whore can play and enjoy a game that has serviceable graphics.

Also, this notion of tying graphics with a game's worth hurts indie developers chance to be profitable and make new games. People will say, “I will play it, but it isn’t worth $28, its only worth $15 or so.” Or pirate it. You might not be able to express that thought in your head, but that thinking has a huge disparate impact on how people view and value indie games, and leads to disparate treatment of those games.

Not only are you a graphics whore who is directly responsible for the ongoing dick that the rpg community has been shoving deeper in my ass for years, you are also a pansy bitch who I will smack the shit of with the head of my penis. I’ll put you in the hospital and the visit you and pee in your IV. You’ll have my urine coursing through your veins. I’ll pee in your nose also, orin your mouth and make you laugh and spit it out your nose. Either way your nasals will be drenched in my piss. Fucking graphic whore.

dagorkan said:

Isn't that fraught with bias mostly due to Neverwinter Nights being total crap?

denizsi

Arcane
Actually an RPG Combat System but with real strategic depth and realism (hit locations that matter). I want to turn it into a CRPG with some simple programming, C++ or something, but I don't have a clue how to do it (or the time to learn).

If all that matters is the rule system (for future use), you can even use flash to make a flash game with the system in a limited interface for presentation. I've been doing something similar with a free game engine using visual basic: just dummy models in a simple room, implementing a rule system for combat to see how it plays out and trying to balance it. It won't ever grow into a big, real project from its current form of codebase, but when I'll be looking for people for a game project, I'll have something to show that will represent the basic mechanics I have in mind.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Roqua said:
Not only are you a graphics whore who is directly responsible for the ongoing dick that the rpg community has been shoving deeper in my ass for years, you are also a pansy bitch who I will smack the shit of with the head of my penis. I’ll put you in the hospital and the visit you and pee in your IV. You’ll have my urine coursing through your veins. I’ll pee in your nose also, orin your mouth and make you laugh and spit it out your nose. Either way your nasals will be drenched in my piss. Fucking graphic whore.

Bring it on, bitch. BRING IT ON. I'll kick your ass until you cry for your mom before I sodomize you, you little shit. I'll fill you until you can't -walk-. I'll-

Let's have a date.
I think I'm falling for you.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Ivy Mike said:
OsirisGod said:
Are you missing the obvious here or what? Even if you talk som hobbyist CGTalk member into contributing graphics to your game, you're going to see demands for compensation is some form or other as soon as the game starts selling. On a tight budget it's by no means given that you can afford to pay a graphics artist. And how does your "graphics software = good graphics" line of reasoning work exactly? Are you saying that graphics software has some inherent ability to make good graphics? Last time I checked graphics software was just another tool to be used. Wether or not the result is good is up to the artist. Finally, yes, graphics are unimportant.

Back to the topic: Tell us more of the gameplay. Screenshots alone doesn't say much.

I probablly didnt make myself to clear , what i meant is that with todays software you can make good graphics easyer , actually i tested it one day and i'd say you can produce 1-3 models/day /artist with ease , and on your second point what exactlly is the issue with them demanding compensation in retrospective ? Or you feel that if someone helps you get up once you are on the stairs you just spit in his face and turn your back? Compensation is logical on a comercial product but hobist will not require it in advance , thats the whole ideea.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Jasede said:
Roqua said:

Bring it on, bitch. BRING IT ON. I'll kick your ass until you cry for your mom before I sodomize you, you little shit. I'll fill you until you can't -walk-. I'll-

Let's have a date.
I think I'm falling for you.

Okay. I like flowers and candy and I don't fuck unless you pay for dinner.

p.s. you are not good at hostility.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom