Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
"Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite"

UTTER DECLINE. There are no miniguns in Doom! It really should read:

"Grab the CHAINGUN" or even better, MUCH better: "Grab the SUPER SHOTGUN" Ideally it should also be a picture of the super shotgun, and not a Cacodemon.

...And that new artistic button is indeed superfluous. I would also consider it a negative rating based on how it looks - which probably isn't the intent.
Know your lore, heathen:

"If the Doom chaingun is associated with real weaponry, it is a Gatling-style weapon with rotating barrels similar to a minigun. An actual chain gun only has a single barrel and uses an electric motor to drive a chain connected to the bolt assembly, moving it back and forth to load, fire, extract, and eject ammo cartridges.

The weapon's classic first-person sprites are based off of a toy minigun called the Tootsietoy Ol' Painless.

The weapon was originally an assault rifle or submachine gun-type weapon in the Doom alpha, but was redesigned into a slow-firing rotary-barrel gatling gun to give it immediate visual differentiation from other weapons, as well as to give it its own distinct style."

Corvinus

Arcane
"Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite"

UTTER DECLINE. There are no miniguns in Doom! It really should read:

"Grab the CHAINGUN" or even better, MUCH better: "Grab the SUPER SHOTGUN" Ideally it should also be a picture of the super shotgun, and not a Cacodemon.

...And that new artistic button is indeed superfluous. I would also consider it a negative rating based on how it looks - which probably isn't the intent.
Know your lore, heathen:

"If the Doom chaingun is associated with real weaponry, it is a Gatling-style weapon with rotating barrels similar to a minigun. An actual chain gun only has a single barrel and uses an electric motor to drive a chain connected to the bolt assembly, moving it back and forth to load, fire, extract, and eject ammo cartridges.

The weapon's classic first-person sprites are based off of a toy minigun called the Tootsietoy Ol' Painless.

The weapon was originally an assault rifle or submachine gun-type weapon in the Doom alpha, but was redesigned into a slow-firing rotary-barrel gatling gun to give it immediate visual differentiation from other weapons, as well as to give it its own distinct style."

Indeed. But calling the weapon a minigun? I haven't been making hellspawn do the CHAINGUN CHA-CHA since 1993 with one, now that's for sure!
rating_prestigious.png

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
With the introduction of the recent redundant buttons it occurred to me that we have perhaps reached 'peak button'. Perhaps it does not take more than maybe a hundred buttons to express all our feelings and thoughts. Perhaps this may be the beginning of newspeak a wonderful new language.

(We still lack some kind of anime/desu desu button)

Semiurge

Cipher

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'll agree that my original intention behind artistic was to replace the creative icon, which I've never been a large fan of, and rename it to artistic - to allow broad representation and thanks of those who have created artworks that have been posted here and rated as such. However, than I came across posts such as this: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...hat-garbage-here.89809/page-1697#post-6704846

Now while I readily agree the post is clearly creative, is it artistic? And thus, torn from conflict, I added artistic in addition to creative. Allowing creative to be used at those times when someone doesn't wish to acknowledge humour, but rather a perhaps creative attempt at winding their way out of an issue, or something that is "creative" but not related to art.

Semiurge

Cipher
Bring on the "fabulously pessimistic" button already
E4d7ikY.png

I'll agree that my original intention behind artistic was to replace the creative icon, which I've never been a large fan of, and rename it to artistic - to allow broad representation and thanks of those who have created artworks that have been posted here and rated as such. However, than I came across posts such as this: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...hat-garbage-here.89809/page-1697#post-6704846

Now while I readily agree the post is clearly creative, is it artistic? And thus, torn from conflict, I added artistic in addition to creative. Allowing creative to be used at those times when someone doesn't wish to acknowledge humour, but rather a perhaps creative attempt at winding their way out of an issue, or something that is "creative" but not related to art.

I thought it conveys 'artistic' in a derogatory sense, like 'arty-farty' it can be the opposite of 'creative' and simply pretentious, or just 'creative' but with a twist of pomp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom