Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Well paced JRPGS'S, WRPG'S, ARPG'S.

ZACKIE

Educated
See title

I'll start

Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest 5
Baldurs Gate 3
Devil Survivors 2
SMT4
Deus Ex
FF7
FNV
Dark Souls
Lisa
Undertale
Legend of Dragoon
Dragon Quest Origins
Mass Effect 1
Gothic 1 and 2
VTMB

Odoryuk

Educated
Dark Souls is everything but well paced. Dark Souls 3 is the most well paced game in the trilogy, probably because of how linear it is.
Maybe defining well pacedness for a starter would help this thread not to spiral into shit slinging contest.

ZACKIE

Educated
Dark Souls is everything but well paced. Dark Souls 3 is the most well paced game in the trilogy, probably because of how linear it is.
Maybe defining well pacedness for a starter would help this thread not to spiral into shit slinging contest.
Linearity doesn't equal good pacing, good pacing means the game is never boring and it constantly introduces new things (enemies, traps, hazards, setpieces, boss fights, unique combat encounters, mini games etc) Dark Souls 1 has gimmick boss fights and DS3 is just a roll fest and even that new Lies of P korean soulslike game understood what makes souls games great, you would love it, it's very linear, way more linear than DS3.

Beans00

Augur
Chrono Trigger
Deus Ex
FF7
FNV
Legend of Dragoon
Dragon Quest Origins
Mass Effect 1
Gothic 1 and 2
VTMB
Those are the games I played from your list.

Legend of Dragoon? That game is one of the most hated jrpg's on the ps1 because of how shitty slow grindy it is, and how high the encounter rate is. How exactly is that a 'well paced game'? You tried to sneak that shit in because you didn't think anyone on the codex would have played that trash.

Disagree with a few others(DA:O,FF7,ME1), Agree with the rest.

Odoryuk

Educated
good pacing means the game is never boring and it constantly introduces new things
Once you defeat Ornstein and Smough, the game's quality plunges and feels unfinished. Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3 never reached such a state.
At this point your definition of a good paced game is entirely subjective ("I had fun while playing this game!"), while a videogame's pace is something that could be measured. The lack of meaningful shortcuts, interconnectivity and interesting encounters (compared to the first half of the game) clearly shows bumpiness in pacing.
Also good pacing is not required for game to be good, as Dark Souls is best in the trilogy, if not the best FromSoftware game (though Bloodborne's linearity gives a very smooth paced experience and I'd pick that one for being the best).

agris

Arcane
Patron
good pacing means the game is never boring and it constantly introduces new things (enemies, traps, hazards, setpieces, boss fights, unique combat encounters, mini games etc)
wherein the subject learns that, much like in matters of art, taste is subjective

Fink

Novice
RPGs are the least well-paced genre.

Fallout 1 is pretty well done in that regard. Struggling to think of many other examples. Not sure I even agree with some of the examples listed in the OP, despite some of them being among my favourites; VTMB - sewers and other dungeon crawls kill the pacing. Gothic 1 and 2 - they become tedious in the endgame, like all PB games.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you don't like the game's pacing, it's on you to play it faster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom