Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40k: Dawn of War

Ortchel

Liturgist
Weird little thing happened today the first time I ran Dawn of War ..

Sygate.gif

I noticed the interface was almost identical to Warcraft 3 but this is curious. Can anyone explain it?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Notice the 255.255.255.255? It's to check to see if your internet connection is active (specifically Port 6112, which is the UDP gaming port) for multiplayer and updates. It's harmless.

Astromarine

Erudite
to clarify: Blizzard Ent. Games/CDE Subprocess Control is what the Sygate firewall calls the 6112 port, has nothing to do with the server itself. Which is self-testing garbage, as Ex said. Don't worry about it

Ortchel

Liturgist
So why is the gaming port named Blizzard Ent Games?

I'd never heard of this before.

Astromarine

Erudite
just like post 25 is called the Mail port, even though you can put other stuff listening there. Because that's the best known service that uses the port. My guess is that port 6112 is used By Battle.net

Ortchel

Liturgist
Ah, okay. Go figure.

Did you play WH40k? I just got done uninstalling it.

I hate games that force me to expand immediately, I got done setting up basic defenses and I get a message telling me the enemy will win the match if I don't capture some critical point in four minutes.

I hate that shit. But the Orks are pretty cool.

Spazmo

Erudite
Ah--Ortchel's opinion is reassuringly contrary to mine. DoW is fucking awesome, lots of fun to play, if not really 'omg revolutionary'. It's fairly simplistic: you just build up a beefy army, research everything and go obliteratify everything. It's big fun though, probably because I usually suck at RTSes. Still, I think I liked Homeworld 2 better, although an HW game with the personality and style of Dawn of War would be doubleplus good.

Ortchel, was that in a skirmish match? Never happens in the campaign.

Astromarine

Erudite
er, that's the whole point of the game. you don't have to expand, just kill the orc's settlements at the critical points that THEY conquered. Each map has a few of those, and a few strategic locations. Whenever a player has over 50% he gets a countdown for victory. But you should get them anyway, because you get money off them.

The main feature the game brings to RTS is the necessity of actually fighting over the map, not just turtling at the base until max tech. If you need to turtle to enjoy the game, yeah, give it back. But you are not forced to expand, you're only forced to interact with the opponent.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Yeah, I guess I don't like it for the main reason most people do.

I'm a turtler :(

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Who says you can't turtle? This game is BUILT for turtling especially if you're a Space Marine. The Orks aren't good turtlers and they never were good turtlers in the board game, either. You can build up a huge defensive force and take enough strategic points to win the game, if you want. You don't have to destroy the enemy at all.

Astromarine

Erudite
true, but if you leave the base to get the strat points, and the other guy does too, you're contesting the points, i.e. not turtling

Ortchel

Liturgist
No campaign for me. I don't like the Space Marines.

Orks only plz

Ortchel

Liturgist
So much effort wasted fighting with my email client to recieve the topic reply notification .. and this is what I get.

TURTLES.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Yeesh, hard. I don't know how you people do it.

I never got the hang of these new fangled strategy games.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You have to treat them like games and conquer them. You musn't give up so easily. The only game I've ever given up on by playing Hard was Call of Duty. The reason? Snipers are too accurate and kill you in 2 shots on that mode.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Well, I can play hard on pretty much any game except strategy games. I'm just not good at them, even on easy.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I'd just beaten my first match on hard difficulty in skirmish mode (Orc vs. Orc), and I tend to have a terrible mind for strategy... so anything's possible. I just make good use of the terrain and the defense bonuses/penalties they give, go nuts with the turrets/Waaaaagh! Banners/what have you, and I try not to spread my forces too thin.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
My game hasn't arrived yet, but I'm playing the Demo right now, and I'm loving it like crazy. I have never had this much FUN in a RTS before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom