Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WHAT DA FUCK? - a Gothic 4 thread

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm probably a real douchebag right now, but I can't stop loling when imagining all those gothic fanboys who were constantly bashing TES and comparing it as inferior PoS to much better Gothic series. the irony is just so fucking overwhelming that I can't help myself.

Lumpy

Arcane
skyway said:
I'm probably a real douchebag right now, but I can't stop loling when imagining all those gothic fanboys who were constantly bashing TES and comparing it as inferior PoS to much better Gothic. the irony is just so fucking overwhelming that I can't help myself.
The irony is so fucking overwhelming I can't see it.

The Nameless One said:
Sounds like Oblivion. Why would anybody want that?
QFT

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
The Rambling Sage said:
Lestat said:
Also, I hope that the previewer sometimes uses Arcadia instead of Arcania because he has this, not thisin mind.

[Nerdrage]

Little is to be expected of someone with that in mind, you foul mannered childling.

[/Nerdrage]
Come now, The Lost is an excellent game. Drastically different from The Dreaming - and I love The Dreaming - but excellent nevertheless.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
skyway said:
I'm probably a real douchebag right now, but I can't stop loling when imagining all those gothic fanboys who were constantly bashing TES and comparing it as inferior PoS to much better Gothic series. the irony is just so fucking overwhelming that I can't help myself.
It's a real shit pie for Gothic fans, but i also fail to see any irony there. Does Betheesda making Fallout 3 seem ironic to you too?
Depressed Construct said:
Lumpy said:
The Nameless One said:
Sounds like Oblivion. Why would anybody want that?
QFT
It's "anyone", duh.
RONG QOUTE!
Not necessarely. Even bodies of the dead wouldn't want Oblivion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gnidrologist said:
skyway said:
It's a real shit pie for Gothic fans, but i also fail to see any irony there. Does Betheesda making Fallout 3 seem ironic to you too?

the thing is there were constant flame wars (f.e. one of them is on ag.ru and counts like 100 pages, 25 posts each) between Gothic and TES fanboys. especially after the release of Oblivion Gothic fanboys started to bash it as an inferior clone of their game, with all those dumbing down like fast travel, quest compass etc and stupid AI as well. the irony is that Gothic is the clone of Oblivion now and G-fanboys got a really big unexpected surprise.

of course that doesn't mean I think that this is a good thing. but I already wrote that Spellbound is a PoS like a year ago.

with Fallout 3 there were no flame wars like TES is a clone of Fallout as you understand.

Raapys

Arcane
Nope, only dumbed-down aRPGs left, and a few open-world shooters with "RPG elements".

Kraszu

Prophet
skyway said:
the thing is there were constant flame wars (f.e. one of them is on ag.ru and counts like 100 pages, 25 posts each) between Gothic and TES fanboys. especially after the release of Oblivion Gothic fanboys started to bash it as an inferior clone of their game, with all those dumbing down like fast travel, quest compass etc and stupid AI as well. the irony is that Gothic is the clone of Oblivion now and G-fanboys got a really big unexpected surprise.

That is not irony. It wasn't really unexpected after developer was changed.

I hope that G4 will bomb (and it is likely), and that spellbound will see that slapping popular name on box is not enough:

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/874/874762p1.html

"The passion for the Gothic universe is at that level…The attachment to Piranha Bytes in German-speaking countries would be akin to the attachment to a BioWare in North America. Anything that Piranha Bytes does is gold in Germany, whereas here it's irrelevant. The decision to go with a new developer for this one was not taken lightly but taken with an eye to really reaching out."

Anyway the new PB games looks like it will be good, and that is most important to me. They would produce one game at the time anyway.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I still don't see irony of this. The franchise has been given to different developer That one thing. The fanboys of gothic were mostly right about the oblivion comparison. That's another thing.
Irony would be if Piranha themselves would've decided to oblivionise the franchise and faboys would've exaggerated.
No it's just DARK HUMOAR.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
skyway said:
I'm probably a real douchebag right now, but I can't stop loling when imagining all those gothic fanboys who were constantly bashing TES and comparing it as inferior PoS to much better Gothic series.
That's really funny because what I saw were Gothic fanboys on the semi-official German forums falling over each other "admitting" that Oblivion had such superior AI and was super great and of course you could appreciate the strength of both games.

Pseudofool

Scholar
Splicing these articles up for their perceived console-centric NA-centric faults, or for whatever is perceived as anti-what-i-demand is pretty juvenile.

Making a stink about the drinking potion animation is pretty silly if you ask me; they didn't say they'd eliminate it, but reduce the time--and that's realistic. It's not realistic to sheath one's weapon, and slowly gulp down a potion. I imagine there's a way to drink and keep the weapon out and chug the thing quickly.

The map-helper mode is fine, because you can disable it (called Gothic mode). We don't have the details of fast travel, but can it be any worse than teleport stones or mounts?

There's nothing in Spellbound's actual quotes that suggest "oblivion" that's ign/gamespot spin. And using Oblivion as a means of marketing rather than as an example of craftsmanship is fine with me. I seriously doubt, Spellbound is going to try to make Gothic more like Oblivion, rather they are going to make it more palatable to users who need a bit more direction.

There's plenty to like about the new iteration that I can see, the new armor, and weapon systems, a new protagonist, an improved combat system with a subtle lock on ability, smaller map, so hopefully more depth.

I don't think we should condemn a developer for 1) poor choice of the previewers words and focus 2) making the necessary decisions (such as palatability and intelligibility to NA audiences) to keep the series alive.

While I liked Gothic 3, there's was a lot of emptiness when compared to Gothic 2 in terms of explorative depth and NPC interation. All the regular NPCs in Gothic 3 just felt thrown in, and often betrayed their prior personalities. It's silly to fault Gothic 4, for moving in a different direction than Gothic 3 when Gothic 3 really mucked up some important parts of the Gothic series.

Raapys

Arcane
Wow, Pseudofool managed to make it all sound great! I'm really looking forward to this game again now!!1

Kraszu

Prophet
Pseudofool said:
Making a stink about the drinking potion animation is pretty silly if you ask me

The point is that drinking healing potion while fighting in Gothic was impossible.

Pseudofool

Scholar
Kraszu said:
Pseudofool said:
Making a stink about the drinking potion animation is pretty silly if you ask me

The point is that drinking healing potion while fighting in Gothic was impossible.
Let's see how it materializes. Certainly, it isn't realistic to stand there drinking a potion while getting stabbed. In Gothic 3, you'd get stuck in animation, it's not like you'd drop the potion, or quit trying to drink it once getting banged on the head.

And to be clear, I'm cynical too, and I'm not trying to laud laurels on Spellbound--I'm just trying to reserve criticism until we get more substantial details. Sure it's fun to speculate about how horrible the game might be. But the splicing of quotes from the articles is disingenuous if one actually reads the whole article, attempts to see what is spin and what the developer actually says.

Kraszu

Prophet
The problem is not if it is realistic or not, Gothic have system where you can't re heal during combat, that makes the combat more interesting.

Kraszu

Prophet
Pseudofool said:
making the necessary decisions (such as palatability and intelligibility to NA audiences) to keep the series alive.

Why is it necessary? Gothic was popular in Germany enough. Spellbound wants to sell game becouse of popular name in Germany, and find new buyers in USA. They want to eat the cookie and still have it, somehow I doubt that they will be able to accomplish this task.

MountainWest

Scholar
The team invested months of research into the differences between European and American gaming preferences, so much so that there will be two different color palates for Arcania: North American (bright and beautiful) and European (muted and gritty)

Reminds me of a gamespot review I saw the other day. I was looking for a good adventure game and found Overcklocked (whether it is good or not, I don't know). Anyway here's the summary of the bad points:

Visuals and sound aren't quite up to contemporary standards, Dark and depressing story , Relies heavily on established conventions.

Oh noez, the story made me suicidal!! Give me my fucking fairy castles and paladins.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
--I'm just trying to reserve criticism until we get more substantial details.
And was there even a single time when codex shitstorm turned up to be undeserved after we saw those "more substantial details"?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Hamster said:
And was there even a single time when codex shitstorm turned up to be undeserved after we saw those "more substantial details"?
VALID QUESTION

The team invested months of research into the differences between European and American gaming preferences, so much so that there will be two different color palates for Arcania: North American (bright and beautiful) and European (muted and gritty)

I can't breathe...

Lumpy

Arcane
Hamster said:
Mask of the Betrayer. Although it wasn't that much of a shitstorm because nobody gave a fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom