Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WHAT DA FUCK? - a Gothic 4 thread

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
I avoided joining the Codex until now since I haven't finished Fallout and Arcanum, but I decided to grief over the raped and charred remains of the Gothic franchise with you self proclaimed angry cunts.

I think I could fit in nicely since I dislike good amount of newer games, come from a former communist country, learned how to avoid meatspin and lemonteaparty, am rabid and have double standards.

Lumpy

Arcane
Unradscorpion said:
I avoided joining the Codex until now since I haven't finished Fallout and Arcanum, but I decided to grief over the raped and charred remains of the Gothic franchise with you self proclaimed angry cunts.
Then do so.

Unradscorpion said:
come from a former communist country
Romania?

Section8

Cipher
I think I could fit in nicely since I dislike good amount of newer games, come from a former communist country, learned how to avoid meatspin and lemonteaparty, am rabid and have double standards.

Thing is, we've learned to embrace lemonparty, meatspin, etc. And so will you. Welcome.

Fenril

Scholar
"The team invested months of research into the differences between European and American gaming preferences, so much so that there will be two different color palates for Arcania: North American (bright and beautiful) and European (muted and gritty)"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHA...

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA *wheeze* hahahhahahahhaa.....*choke*

American gamers just love bright pink and anime like graphic art....American gamers are gay in a happy colored way. European gamers are gloomy bastards. We had the best consulting agencies researching for months. FEAR NOT WE KNOW WHAT YOU WANT!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
From this thread:
Its a well known fact that Europeans like buggy games with low production value. Its a well known fact that Americans like dumbed down console type games.

Combine the two and you truly have something special.
:D

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Fenril said:

Dispelling the myth: Contrary to the popular urban legend, the word Hispanic does not come from the panic a white person feels when he is in a room with (or being pursued by) a group of Latinos ("his panic").

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Elwro said:
From this thread:
Its a well known fact that Europeans like buggy games with low production value. Its a well known fact that Americans like dumbed down console type games.

Combine the two and you truly have something special.
:D
low production value = no fucking ponies

Astromarine

Erudite
Crispy said:
Fenril said:

Dispelling the myth: Contrary to the popular urban legend, the word Hispanic does not come from the panic a white person feels when he is in a room with (or being pursued by) a group of Latinos ("his panic").

huh? what does Portugal have to do with Hispanic countries?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Astromarine said:
huh? what does Portugal have to do with Hispanic countries?

The word Hispanic is derived from Hispania, the name given by the Romans to the entire Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Portugal, Andorra and Gibraltar).

ironman3000

Novice
All you people bitching about bloom, you know there's a button you can press in Oblivion that lets you turn it off.

There's probably going to be an option for that in Fallout 3 as well. Given all the problems Fallout 3 is likely to have, the optional bloom feature isn't one of them.

WalterKinde

Scholar
But bloom is the specific thing they use to sell games don't they?
And in the case of Beth to hide some poor LOD and textures and it looks its the same for Fallout 3, you never see preview pics or review pics of these games without the bloom on, i wonder why that is.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Phantasmal said:
WalterKinde, like I said, G3 seems to hate certain hardware setups. I've read of people with old harddrives, AMD 3800's and 7600 gs video cards getting smooth as silk gameplay. Then people with core 2 duo's and sli 8800's getting jerky as hell performances. Just doesn't make sense and not worth bothering with, the game is dull as hell anyway with worse combat than Arcanum and a very non-Gothic feeling game world.

Actually, a lot can be done just by tweaking the ge3.ini file a bit. Apparently, a lot of the stuttering seems to disappear with some tweaking to the prefetcher settings, and so on. Here you can find a lot of suggestions, as well as here, if you have the patience. Still, I agree that it's a broken game.

Elwro

Arcane
My problem is that since I bought 2 GBs of extra RAM, Gothic 3 refuses to run at an acceptable rate. It runs fine for a minute or so, and then it slows down to 1-2 FPS.

And yes, I've patched the game so that it should recognize more RAM, and yes, I have Windows XP set up properly.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Elwro said:
My problem is that since I bought 2 GBs of extra RAM, Gothic 3 refuses to run at an acceptable rate. It runs fine for a minute or so, and then it slows down to 1-2 FPS.

And yes, I've patched the game so that it should recognize more RAM, and yes, I have Windows XP set up properly.

Did you add lines to the appropriate .ini (win.ini, if I'm not mistaken) file, to allow it to manage properly higher amounts of ram?

Disconnected

Scholar
Elwro said:

How much RAM do you have, video RAM included?

If you have more than 4GB total, the problem may be caused by WinXP.

Elwro

Arcane
Nope: 3 GBs of system RAM and 256 MBs of video RAM. The game ran fine when I had only 1 GB of RAM.

And it's boot.ini , and I've added the appropriate lines. The Witcher runs flawlessly now.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You're better off without G3. It's like playing an MMO with constant lag, off line. It doesn't even have any decent exploration, I've climbed most of the mountains and swimmed through the lakes and rivers to find nothing. No hidden treasures, shrines, caves, monsters, nothing.

Oh, wait I actually found a Dragon in one of those mountains and I killed him easily with arrows from above, killing boars is equally difficult/easy...

A user named cat

GeneralSamov said:
Actually, a lot can be done just by tweaking the ge3.ini file a bit. Apparently, a lot of the stuttering seems to disappear with some tweaking to the prefetcher settings, and so on. Here you can find a lot of suggestions, as well as here, if you have the patience. Still, I agree that it's a broken game.
Believe me, I've done all the tweaks including the font fix. I doubled, tripled and even tried to halve the prefetcher settings. It still played the exact same no matter what. My fps was fine for the most part, but whenever it would read off the disk to load certain areas it'd stutter or pause for a bit. Then again, I seem to get stuttering in some games that like to load areas on the fly for some reason, thought getting a raptor and more ram would fix it but it hasn't. Probably this old AMD 4000+ bottlenecking or something. I gave up a while ago trying to tweak this system, did just about everything possible. PC hardware sucks, especially when you waste money on shit and it doesn't begin to meet your expectations.

Elwro

Arcane
GeneralSamov said:
How much virtual? Also, did you reinstall after the addition?
How much would you recommend? (I've tried many settings.) Andyes, I've reinstalled. And eventually unistalled, but if you recommend a virtual memory setting, I might reinstall it in a few days just to try.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Well, I don't know for sure, but various rumours and tips on the 'netz advise 1.5* the amount of your physical RAM. Though, since you have 3 GBs, I believe you shoud be fine with 3 GBs of swap. Another thing to keep in mind is that it makes sense to allocate a fixed value to the swap file, putting the min value equaly as the max one. Both of these tips are contestet, but from experience, I can tell you it works fine dor me. Also, if you can be bothered, put the swap on its own partition, and give the partition the same size as the swap, plus the minimum requested overhead by windows (180 MB?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom