Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Defines the RPG Genre?

derill

Novice
I'm just getting into the RPG scene, and have been reading about what games define the genre. Some say anything with the infinity engine, some say diablo and its ilk-born clones, some say every rpg born before the 90's, some say roguelikes, some say jrpgs, and the list goes on ( mmorpgs, muds, etc ). What game defines the RPG genre to you, and why?

I'm merely asking to get a real feel for the genre. I missed out on the D&D games of my high school peers, and when I tried afterwards, I found that I was too nervous to speak in front of people ( I have social anxiety ), and then tried some MUDs. After that, I played through Planescape, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + expansion, Neverwinter Nights, Dark Sun ( both Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager ), WoW. What else could I try? I've read about Arcanum, but is it worth sludging past the bugs?

I mean, anything on the Inifinity engine gives me a helluva fight with random stuttering and lags every so often, and I think it's due to Vista. Most good RPG games were released before Vista, and it causes some issues.

So, what can I do to better myself, in terms of RPG gaming? I thank you for your patience. I'm rather new to forum-etiquette, although I did try to search through the forums for an answer, but there were too many different answers, so I thought I might as well get them all in one thread.

Thanks ahead of time. :)

Derill.

BonziBUDDY

Scholar
If you're willing to try out some JRPGs then give Chrono Trigger, Earthbound and Final Fantasy VI a try.

derill

Novice
Oh, I've played through all the Final Fantasies, and dabbled in Chrono Trigger. They weren't my cup of tea. I found them to be more of a "sit-back, shut-up, and kill things while you watch this sorta-kinda movie."

I like a little bit of options in my RPGs, and it's a little difficult when you're going down a specific road and can't turn at the three-way. :(

lordfrikk

Scholar
Fallout, Knights of the Old Republic (if you'll like it then also Jade Empire), maybe even Morrowind.

Thrasher

Erudite
It depends on what you like.

There's all kinds of RPGs out there.

derill

Novice
How could I forget to mention Fallout 1/2??? I do believe I deserve to be hit with a stick! KotOR wasn't too bad, although I didn't enjoy the sequel. Jade Empire was a fun timesink, and Morrowind was another good timesink.

Thrasher

Erudite
If you like options and lots of non-linearity, then Arcanum and Fallout, and as said above Morrowind. Daggerfall is incredibly open-ended (and almost rougue-like).

lordfrikk

Scholar
Wizardry 8, System Shock 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Neverwinter Nights.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
haloxd5.jpg

*I did not create this image, I forget who made it.

derill

Novice
1eyedking and JarlFrank said:
Not this shit again...

:( sorry. i didn't realize I was doing something wrong.

lordfrikk said:
Wizardry 8, System Shock 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Neverwinter Nights.

I've never tried System Shock 2, actually, nor Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and Wizardry 8. Thanks for the point-out.

Thrasher said:
If you like options and lots of non-linearity, then Arcanum and Fallout, and as said above Morrowind. Daggerfall is incredibly open-ended (and almost rougue-like).

As I asked, is Arcanum worth the bugs? Or are there fixes for it yet? I remember when it was first released I considered buying it, but after a word or two from a few friends, I avoided it. I've heard Daggerfall is worth at least one run. I'll go hunt for it.

@Jaesun : That pic confused me. :shock:

lordfrikk

Scholar
Arcanum is decent game and I haven't noticed any eye gouging bugs while playing it with the latest Unofficial patch by Ogre_Ogre.

lordfrikk

Scholar
I guess it's your bussiness, but why would you want to support a company that no longer exists?

Thrasher

Erudite
How could I forget Wizardry 8? It's also somewhat open ended, and has what I consider one of the best character building systems.

Yes, with the patches, Arcanum isn't very buggy. Just remember to save frequently.

derill

Novice
Thrasher said:
How could I forget Wizardry 8? It's also somewhat open ended, and has what I consider one of the best character building systems.

Yes, with the patches, Arcanum isn't very buggy. Just remember to save frequently.

This has always been one of my problems. I remember playing NWN or something, and getting 3/4 through the game in one long thoroughly-caffeinated day, and then everything froze. I didn't save. At all. :(

Thrasher

Erudite
I'm a compulsive saver. I dislike games without quicksave buttons.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Just go here. It already has every RPG listed that people are gonna recommend here. As for Arcanum buginess, dude there's a sticky at the top of this very forum for a huge fanmade patch that fixes many problems.
I'll try it out, then. Gotta find me a copy for sale, first, though! Heh.
Just download it for free from a torrent site. Its developer went under years ago, your money would only support some fat jackass who overpriced it on ebay.

Squeek

Scholar
RPGs are the ultimate games, because they're based around imaginary worlds with asserted realities, so anything is possible. The idea is to put players into roles like the ones in their favorite fantasy-adventure and science-fiction stories and then allow them to have their own unique adventures. It's something that works better with collaboration, and RPGs are generally considered collaborative games.

Computer RPGs are a little different, mostly due to the nature of computing, its limitations and how we interface with PCs. Some folks have funny ideas about all of that, and so every distinction pertaining to this genre is in dispute (which is why folks don't enjoy discussions trying to define it).

Zomg

Arbiter
Here is where I would have posted an airtight critical framework that would have obliterated all other stupid opinions and made their interlocutors feel ashamed to have ever articulated them if I could be bothered.

Jagged Alliance 2. Wether or not it's considered a rpg around here, play it. I have tried it (and Arcanum and TOEE, by the way) on Vista64, and it's compatible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom