Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What did you hate about Dragon Age: Origins?

roll-a-die said:
Also Stainless, Grotsnik is an ork mad dok, not a gretchen/grot, thus my ninja redaction.
What ninja redaction? :retarded: (reads) Ah!
No, I only meant that shoota, or big shoota, is more recognizable.
Well, at least I got to post Da Rebellion strip.

grotsnik

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Also Stainless, Grotsnik is an ork mad dok, not a gretchen/grot, thus my ninja redaction.

Would it clear up all the confusion if KC posted some pictures of him for you?

ZbojLamignat said:
Oh, and the only impression that DA made on me (apart from "oh, it's that again, who knew), from the few gameplay videos I saw, is how after what they did in Mass Effect they somehow managed to make the characters look like a failed dr mengele experiments.

Pretty amusing.
You do realize that ME used UE3, and DAO used Eclipse engine? Shitty Aurora roots, crooked hands, etc.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
roll-a-die said:
Here's my problem with DA, it just feels so samey, if you've played KotOR, or JE or even ME, you've played this. Same type of factions, same type of story line, same companions, same 3-6 hubs storyline, with assorted quests in each hub, design.

That. Bioware just has a blank script and fill in the gaps with new names each new game, apparently.

The very simplistic, cookie-cutter character builds.

And the bloody useless DLC's (even the "free" ones are shit: they don't add anything to either the story or the gameplay, they're just like additional levels that makes no sense to play after one has finished the main storyline).

And the cliche' sensational plot devices (rape, family murdered, betrayal, close friend dies, etc etc): not cliche' per se, but used in a very cliche'ed way.

The fact that bioware of late seems more concerned with homosexual softcore rather than actual content and story depth.

Kinky bras and thongs in a high fantasy setting. o rly?

The fact that is was also released on consoles.

Radisshu

Prophet
"Oh, hey, a dungeon!" Combat combat combat combat
"Oh hey, an empty street!" Combat combat combat combat
"I'll try some diplomacy!" Combat combat combat combat combabudnisdgmlg

Too much shallow content of all sorts (mostly combat) instead of what could have been a shorter, more focused game. Also, it was kind of sad how most companions became progressively less interesting as you learned more about their respective background stories, etc.

I gave up about halfway through. Had they sped things up like Andyman said and cut about 60% of all content (i.e. all filler combat and MMO-style questing) it could have been quite enjoyable, but too much is too much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Atrocious pacing, not enough required variation in tactics, overpowered mages, and HP/attribute-bloat. I frequently switched my party make-up so I didn't have as much of an issue with the filler as everyone else (a party of two warriors a dog and a rogue or three rogues and a mage, etc. have to do things a bit differently), though the enemy cap should have been 500-600 instead of over 2000. Oh and the consequences could have been more biting and severe.

Lesifoere said:
Shit-eating grin.
Thought his look was just retarded enough to complement the thread, but that works just as well, I guess.

Andyman Messiah said:
Can you fuck Dog? No, I didn't think so.
Well, he can do something about a gory mess, I hear...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Lesifoere said:
Shit-eating grin.
Thought his look was just retarded enough to complement the thread, but that works just as well, I guess.

Andyman Messiah said:
Well, he can do something about a gory mess, I hear...
And if you download the nude male body with erect penis mod... BY GOD!

The one redeeming factor, we have found it; having a dog lick your foreskin clean from brain matter. I am reinstalling immediately.

edit: Found my old bash thread. http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... ge#1270021

Andyman Messiah said:
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Also, every single companion that isn't Shale. Shale was p. cool, but alas he was recycled from HK47.
Nonsense. Dog was the best companion, and you know it, Horsie.
dogak.jpg
DA2/modders will fix it.

Radisshu

Prophet
The dog was stupid looking. What's with that constant snarl? Bioware cannot into canine faces. Only canine feces.

Radisshu

Prophet
baronjohn said:
RaXz said:
EA

I rather don't play games from EA, I care about my mental health.

Mirror's Edge was p. good.

It was the first first person game I played that didn't make me feel like I was controlling a floating head.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
When I first started playing the game, I was impressed. Very impressed actually, until I got to the part where you leave the old ruins that were converted to a military camp.

Holy shit did the game go down hill fast. Filler combat everywhere. The Derp Roads. The Fade. Everything was incredibly drawn out, and it wasn't interesting enough to pull it off. After the Derp Roads (first place I went), the game left a bad taste in my mouth. When I first started playing, I enjoyed the origin story and I was wondering what to do with my next character. After that bullshit, I highly doubt I'll ever make another run.

Now once I finished the Bioware mandatory 'go to four places' part, I do think the game picked up again. I was pretty satisfied with the ending. Like someone else said (sorry, too lazy to find it again), it would have been a decent enough 5-10 hour game.

Pros:
Origin stories
The dog was a true bro
Starts off and finishes fairly strong
Some of the armor does look pretty cool
I thought the graphics were overall fantastic

Cons:
Individually killing each member of the Darkspawn horde
level scaling
lame mmo combat
Derp Roads
The Fade
There are only like 3 or 4 unique armor models
The idea behind Gray Wardens is pretty lame

P.S. the Dragon Age Ultimate Edition (game, expansion, DLC) is on sale at Impulse for 25 bucks if anyone is masochistic enough to want it.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Stainless Veteran said:
ZbojLamignat said:
Oh, and the only impression that DA made on me (apart from "oh, it's that again, who knew), from the few gameplay videos I saw, is how after what they did in Mass Effect they somehow managed to make the characters look like a failed dr mengele experiments.

Pretty amusing.
You do realize that ME used UE3, and DAO used Eclipse engine? Shitty Aurora roots, crooked hands, etc.
Well, I'm no expert on engines used in Bioware games so I didn't know that. Just putting out that characters in DA looked hilariously disfigured.

Btw I'm really surprised that ME used UE3. That game looked mind-numbingly shit except for the characters.

piydek

Cipher
Most of all, i hated that with not so many changes it could have been really great. Shit, even I, who am not a game designer could easily and very specifically see these relatively easy to make changes that would improve the game to no end all the freaking time. I could go into details, but i don't have the willpower to do that.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Combat was far from strategic, for me IWD 2 had the most strategic combat.

Zevran first encounter was a bitch, 4 archers on a hill + some melee in front of you in a very tight place it was like 10 vs 4 and was the beginning of the game, i thought that`s the end game fight.

Project: Eternity
Radisshu said:
Serious_Business said:
Radisshu said:
The dog was stupid looking. What's with that constant snarl? Bioware cannot into canine faces. Only canine feces.

:yeah:

No actually that shit was weak, sorry bro

:yeah:

whatamiyeaaahhh.png

I am, in fact, playing through Dragon Age again (started last week or so). Instead of saying all the stuff again that everyone else and their pet horse have been dishing out, let me instead list some user-made mods I installed to lower the pain a little:

- weapon rescale mod: what this does is change the visual sizes of all the weapons to not be ANIMU-SIZE GIANT. I just had to put this in because I started the new game as a female city elf (this was a fun origin featuring tasteful rape :smug: ) focusing on two-handed weapons, and the first big warhammer I picked up was literally as big as she was. I know, like that even matters with all the other absurd shit in the game, but I just couldn't stomach it.

- loot automation mod: you automatically pick up all loot in a container/body instead of having to click the "take all" button, and you even get a special new skill button that gives you all the loot lying around on the ground without having to click each one.

- character respec mod: change and reset all preset abilities on yourself and companion, also opens up all abilities from specialization classes from the beginning

- armor tinting mod: apply a different color scheme to your armor/weapon. Only cosmetic, but some of the color combinations you can get just pissed me off too much to go on without it.

- a helmet visual mod: Couldn't stand the look of the "Helm of Honnleath". Yeah, that will make DA a true RPG hehe.

- No Fade mod: I enjoyed playing through that Fade labyrinth the first time, but I didn't want to go through that again. This mod just bypasses the whole mage tower fade bit and just has you go to the companion dreams immediately.

None of these make DA a great game, but I am enjoying it well enough I guess.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ZbojLamignat said:
So basically all of you completed it or at least played through a large portion.
Of course we did. Otherwise the "YOU DID NOT PLAY THEREFORE YOU CANNOT JUDGE" accusation would've been thrown around page 1.

baronjohn

Cipher
Freelance Henchman said:
- loot automation mod: you automatically pick up all loot in a container/body instead of having to click the "take all" button, and you even get a special new skill button that gives you all the loot lying around on the ground without having to click each one.
Why not just a win game button mod?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom