Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you guys think of this old PSX era graphics?

Ash

Arcane
If that any problem worth noting (it's not, wtf), then the PC is hell in gaming form. It has the largest library in existence by lightyears. Which is also one of the main things that makes it the best gaming platform of all time, not coincidentally. The more games, the more likelihood of good games.

Makes sense that beans is a bit mentally stunted when he picked out the dumb shovelware and grew up on that lol.

Beans00

Erudite
If that any problem worth noting (it's not, wtf), then the PC is hell in gaming form. It has the largest library in existence by lightyears. Which is also one of the main things that makes it the best gaming platform of all time, not coincidentally. The more games, the more likelihood of good games.

Makes sense that beans is a bit mentally stunted when he picked out the dumb shovelware and grew up on that lol.

Because you didn't have a ps1 as a kid. You're a poser, and you admitted you grew up with an n64. Kids don't know shit about picking games, especially back then with limited internet on shitty dial up for 90% of people.

So yes, 85% of the library being shovelware is a negative.

I'm sure you enjoyed emulating all the jailbait jrpg titles on the ps1 years later though, since you're a pedo.

Poseidon00

Arcane

Because you didn't have a ps1 as a kid. You're a poser, and you admitted you grew up with an n64. Kids don't know shit about picking games, especially back then with limited internet on shitty dial up for 90% of people.

I'm sure you enjoyed emulating all the jailbait jrpg titles on the ps1 years later though, since you're a pedo.

I honestly don't think the shovelware ratio is that bad, there are lots of good titles on the PS1 library, for all sorts of genres

Twisted Metal and Critical Depth

Legend of Mana and Legend of Legaia

Monster Rancher and Marvel vs Capcom

Tomba and Tronne Bonne

Darkstalkers

The Unholy War

Jade Cocoon

Demolition Derby

If you picked up a random no-name PS1 title there was a good chance you obtained an actual gem.

Beans00

Erudite

I honestly don't think the shovelware ratio is that bad, there are lots of good titles on the PS1 library, for all sorts of genres

Twisted Metal and Critical Depth

Legend of Mana and Legend of Legaia

Monster Rancher and Marvel vs Capcom

Tomba and Tronne Bonne

Darkstalkers

The Unholy War

Jade Cocoon

Demolition Derby

If you picked up a random no-name Ps1 title there was actually a good chance you got a an actual gem.

I'm not really saying this to shit on the ps1, I had tons of fun with it. Some real bangers like gran turismo, MGS, final fantasy tactics, mega man x4, SOTN ect.

Maybe I just had really bad luck picking out random games as a kid, lol.

Ash

Arcane
Since you think you know everything about me, well why not tell a little.

I grew up with most gaming machines of the time. Quite the privilege. I had my older brother's gaming mags, as well as his influence (he was quite a bit older and brought home banger after banger). Once I was older, starting at around 10 or 11 I would spend like thirty minutes to an hour 1x per week (e.g any family shopping trip, kids go off on their own as was common back then) in the game stores browsing the shelves, and would even ask the clerks their opinion somewhat regularly. All my purchases were pre-owned so that I could get multiple. Boot sales was another thing. Mass fields in England full of people selling their old shit, another source of gaming access on the cheap. I picked up System Shock 2 for 50 pence (0.62 USD) from a boot sale, total steal.
Also, in the late 90s/early 2000s the internet DID exist fairly commonplace, which I did use for research but not much.

Lastly, as new gaming machines rolled around I didn't suddenly just stop exploring older machines. This kept on going, for absolutely any gaming machine I could get my hands on...which was easy. As mentioned, this shit was cheap as dirt. Gold just lying around for the taking. I never only stuck with the latest machine, too pricey and why bother when there is such rich history, I can just wait a couple years and those PS2 games will also be dirt cheap. This is how I have always gamed, still mostly do it today. Day 1 purchase? LOL. Though I did still play many games day one, the purchase was just not by me personally (e.g brother or birthday gift).

What a time to be a gamer.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Same.
The best console (for nostalgic reasons for me).
Castlevania games, especially Symphony of the Night, used to play it religiously.
Star Trek: Invasion was also a pretty good one.
Mortal Kombat games, also used to play them like there was no tomorrow.
Legend of Legaia is a really good game, I highly recommend you play this one. It's sort of a jrpg/fighting hybrid.
A lot of good titles for the PS1.

Issue with the ps1, and even worse on the ps2. Because the console was so successful(100m and 150m sales), and because budgets hadn't ballooned to ridiculous team sizes yet, like with the 7th gen. There was so much unplayable shovelware on the ps1/ps2.

Ps1 games were super cheap compared to most other consoles, and even pc games. We also got the ps1 a bit late into the lifespan(christmas 99). I probably had 35 games for the ps1, give or take.

Dude, the same can be said for most any major console. What you describe is what the NES library was. I got a taste of that first with my cousin's huge collection of games and then later going through ROMs and testing many other games I'd never played before.

Kids don't know shit about picking games, especially back then with limited internet on shitty dial up for 90% of people.

Except we're talking about the game rental era here. For a few bucks you could test games out to see if you liked them and then later buy them outright if they felt like keepers (the greater challenge then was often finding non-rental copies of such games).

Yeah, a lot of the annoyance of renting games was getting the stinkers. That's why you made sure to get at least three so you had some fallbacks if one or two sucked.

If anything, trying out console games to see if they were good was easier back then because of that fact.

Beans00

Erudite

Except we're talking about the game rental era here. For a few bucks you could test games out to see if you liked them and then later buy them outright if they felt like keepers (the greater challenge then was often finding non-rental copies of such games).

Yeah, a lot of the annoyance of renting games was getting the stinkers. That's why you made sure to get at least three so you had some fallbacks if one or two sucked.

If anything, trying out console games to see if they were good was easier back then because of that fact.

Game rentals stopped being a common thing in the ps1 era where I live, because disks kept getting damaged. I remember renting plenty of SNES games in the late 90s, when we got our ps1 the selection was super limited and when we rented some spiderman platformer the disk was super scuffed(they didn't keep the disks on the shelves) and didn't work.

I never saw many ps1, or later 6th gen games for rent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom