Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best milieu/environment/setting for a RPG or CRPG?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
State which setting you believe is best suited for P&P and/or computer roleplaying games AND WHY.

For example, fantasy settings are a natural choice due to the openness and lack of constraints from a conceptual standpoint. Unlike sci-fi, which has to have some roots grounded in our real-life experiences to remain within that genre, fantasy is about as open-ended as you can get. Fantastical creatures, physics-altering magic, mind-bending landscapes, etc.

You might instead choose post-apocalyptic because of the inherent danger and dread its concept conjures. You've got the possibility of things like mutations from nuclear fallout, ultra violence from humanity stretched to its breaking point, and a distinct separation from our everyday lives while still hinting at things to come.

So what's your opinion?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I was about to say that.

Only I want the upper half to be fish, so it isn't beastiality. Can't help the smell though.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
What I'd really like to see more of are fictional fantasy worlds with modern or futuristic technology. The only examples I can think of are some of the Final Fantasy games, which is a shame because this seems like the best of both worlds. You've got magic and monsters and the "openness" of a fantasy setting, but people who've progressed past shitting in buckets and throwing them out the window.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I don't believe any type of setting is inherently superior, but I'll say two things. Tolkienesque fantasy is overdone, and modern fantasy isn't done enough (and I don't just mean inserting elves into a modern setting).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
State which setting you believe is best suited for P&P and/or computer roleplaying games AND WHY.

For example, fantasy settings are a natural choice due to the openness and lack of constraints from a conceptual standpoint. Unlike sci-fi, which has to have some roots grounded in our real-life experiences to remain within that genre, fantasy is about as open-ended as you can get. Fantastical creatures, physics-altering magic, mind-bending landscapes, etc.

You might instead choose post-apocalyptic because of the inherent danger and dread its concept conjures. You've got the possibility of things like mutations from nuclear fallout, ultra violence from humanity stretched to its breaking point, and a distinct separation from our everyday lives while still hinting at things to come.

So what's your opinion?

Are you retarded?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Apocalyptic science-fantasy would get my vote. Think Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards," Jack Vance's Dying Earth, Gamma World, Thundarr The Barbarian, etc. Anything goes. (Just don't go full retard and make something like Monte Cook's half-baked Numa-numa).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
In a large and well designed dungeon.

Simply escaping is motivation to explore, and toiling along the way gives many opportunities for meaningful encounters.

Too many games rely on writing and 'story' to motivate player actions. I find this is usually hamfisted or worse.

I believe a good dungeon itself can tell a story or mystery the player will want to unravel as part of the journey. Surviving the dungeon and uncovering it's mysteries is all the pretext you need for a very memorable RPG experience.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is a stupid question.

Obviously Dungeons and Dragons would not fare well in a cyberpunk setting or even a "our world" kind of setting, because we rely on different things there ; education, access to technology, some stats like Wisdom would hardly find a point. Equally, Shadowrun's core rules would not fit too good for a medieval RPG.

I fail to see the point you are making in your question ; make game rules fit the setting.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer low tech settings, so that character skills are more important for advancement. If the setting is too high tech, improving your success rate becomes more about upgrading your equipment.

howlingFantods

Learned
I feel at home in every setting (provided that I'm not the chosen-one/dragonborn/legendary-hero of said hypothetical setting).

11o17u.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You could tailor an RPG out of pretty much any setting with enough knowledge and a bit of creativity. Sadly, those are traits modern devs do not have.

Bocian

Arcane
Some kind of low-fantasy that makes sense from a realistic standpoint, preferably without interventionist "gods", would be great.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
RPG Codexia setting.

In your quest for brofists you have to enter the dark and dangerous dungeon of GD where you have to make a lot of hard choice. Will you declare yourself for King Trump or Queen Hillary? Maybe you will be led astray by the Lord of Wyrms (Intelligence -1)? Or enlightened by lyrical philosophies (Wisdom +1)?

After fighting hordes of shitposters you eventually enter the terrible labyrinth of Prosperium. All the while the fearsome trickster-God DarkUnderlord watches over you and may grant you with a bevevolent blessing or a terrible curse according to his whims and fancies. Will he ban you to the prison of Watchwitz? Or grant you the ability to strike great rating justice upon your enemies?

After proving your heroism you'll eventually be allowed into the kingdom of RPG Discussion. There you'll prove your worthiness by playing through PoE seven times which will grant you the life-long rights to trash talk the Elder-God of True Balance. With many blessing by Saint Cain and Saint Avellone, you'll eventually retire and live your old age by talking about decades old games in the Wizardry, Might and Magic, GoldBox and Ultima threads.

Such is life as an adventurer in the setting of Codexia. Please help to fund our Pen and Paper Source book here.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

So what's your opinion?

Are you retarded?

Why don't you stop being an asshole and always judging people fucking piece of shit.

OT- I like all settings except standard boring fantasy(ie forgotten realms), and even then I don't mind if it's done well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom