Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best single player RTS game and why?

racofer

Thread Incliner
What single player RTS game offers great campaign and worthwhile mods to keep it enjoyable in the long run?

Discuss!!

circ

Arcane
I like Rise of Nations. Simple, spartan but detailed and nice graphics. Runs on shitty systems. Lots of variety in units. Pretty much bug free. Atleast I haven't run into any. Pretty dull campaign though.

Dune 2k because it's based on my favorite sci-fi novels and because it looks better than Dune II. Emperor Battle for Dune had cool Fremen, but that was all.
Campaign doesn't offer much variety.

C&C: Tiberian Sun. All the usual RTS goodies are there, really sweet mini graphics. Excellent interface. Good variety in units. Campaign has variety but is a little weird.

C&C: Generals. Yeah yeah, original fans hated it. But it was a very enjoyable RTS. Great units, specially terrorists. You actually got to play as a terrorist! It had lots of variety in units and hey, snipers! Also, fun campaign(s).

Of the above, none have mods that I know of. Then again I haven't bothered looking. Rise of Nations and Generals have add-ons that are good.

I didn't mention Star Craft because all that does is invoke a mental image of 1 million Koreans shouting MAKE PORTAR GOGOGO whilst zerg rushing. And that spills into the single player too. Decent campaign though.

circ

Arcane
CCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

How could I forget Homeworld. It's just so uniquely engaging you don't think of it as an RTS.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Best single RTS by far is Starcraft. Great campaign by far the one with the most dept in any RTS game.

I didn't mention Star Craft because all that does is invoke a mental image of 1 million Koreans shouting MAKE PORTAR GOGOGO whilst zerg rushing. And that spills into the single player too. Decent campaign though.

Goddamn retarded newfags :roll:

bat_boro

Arcane
Knights of Honor and World in Conflict are both pretty cool, with the latter being badass, too.

circ

Arcane
Major_Boobage said:
Best single RTS by far is Starcraft. Great campaign by far the one with the most dept in any RTS game.

Goddamn retarded newfags :roll:

Zergs don't rush you in the single player campaign? Really? What StarCraft were you playing?

And since Homeworld was mentioned. HW had fathoms more depth than SC ever did.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Major_Boobage said:
Lol homeworld more depth, you are dreaming.

If that's the case, then I think a lot of people in this thread are going to be dreaming. Homeworld has a greater depth of mechanics and tactical options, from formations, to upgrades, to simple resource harvesting. I will give you that Starcraft has a much longer and more personally engaging story, and a lot more personality, but even that is narratively shallow when compared to the sheer level of history and trauma that Relic wrote into Homeworld. Homeworld is, along with Company of Heroes, one of the only RTS games that I've played where I felt that I was literally fighting for every step of ground that I took. Starcraft, by comparison, is a lot more fun, but the difficulty is measured in sheer opposing numbers most of the time, with some brilliant moments stuffed into the cracks.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Mister Arkham said:
Major_Boobage said:

If that's the case, then I think a lot of people in this thread are going to be dreaming. Homeworld has a greater depth of mechanics and tactical options, from formations, to upgrades, to simple resource harvesting. I will give you that Starcraft has a much longer and more personally engaging story, and a lot more personality, but even that is narratively shallow when compared to the sheer level of history and trauma that Relic wrote into Homeworld. Homeworld is, along with Company of Heroes, one of the only RTS games that I've played where I felt that I was literally fighting for every step of ground that I took. Starcraft, by comparison, is a lot more fun, but the difficulty is measured in sheer opposing numbers most of the time, with some brilliant moments stuffed into the cracks.

I am only talking storywise.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Major_Boobage said:
Mister Arkham said:
Major_Boobage said:

I am only talking storywise.

facepalm2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom