Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the point of the 30 day timeout on authenticated logins?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Taluntain DarkUnderlord seriously guys, how does making us enter the authentication code every 30 days improve security?

If you're worried about an attacker getting hold of an old computer that has an active Codex login, having logins time out after 30 days of inactivity would be just as effective, and not be a constant annoyance for active users.

Law

Literate
Bethestard
not enough security procedures

I demand having my account locked behind a pubic hair DNA analysis

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Taluntain DarkUnderlord seriously guys, how does making us enter the authentication code every 30 days improve security?

If you're worried about an attacker getting hold of an old computer that has an active Codex login, having logins time out after 30 days of inactivity would be just as effective, and not be a constant annoyance for active users.
It's to stop the Russians hacking people's accounts because of the Ukraine thread.

Oooh I like this new keyboard. Very nice clack to it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

It's to stop the Russians hacking people's accounts because of the Ukraine thread.

How does the 30 day timeout prevent Russians from hacking any more than 2FA already does?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

How does the 30 day timeout prevent Russians from hacking any more than 2FA already does?
It does not.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you're worried about an attacker getting hold of an old computer that has an active Codex login
This isn't a concern. Why would anyone who regularly posts here "lose" their computer? It's got nothing to do with that, it has to do with account security in general. In other words, weak passwords, etc.

having logins time out after 30 days of inactivity would be just as effective
This is effectively what's already being enforced.

be a constant annoyance for active users
You don't speak for me, nor for most here, I think. The phone app works perfectly, is extremely easy to use (it takes five seconds to verify) and is completely free. Maybe you can explain how it's supposedly an annoyance?

Harthwain

Magister
One thing I am curious about: why is this so annyoing? All you have to do is log in on your e-mail to check out the code, and since you're already trying to access Codex you ought to be on your computer. Or are people using their phones all the time and I am the only one who is using PC for this?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm more interested in why everyone on the 'dex is intent on annoying, slurring, cursing out, being mean to and in general abusing other users.
shapes-club.png

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
be a constant annoyance for active users
You don't speak for me, nor for most here, I think. The phone app works perfectly, is extremely easy to use (it takes five seconds to verify) and is completely free. Maybe you can explain how it's supposedly an annoyance?
I'll explain that if you can first explain to me what the purpose of the 30 day timeout is, and how it achieves that purpose.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
One thing I am curious about: why is this so annyoing? All you have to do is log in on your e-mail to check out the code, and since you're already trying to access Codex you ought to be on your computer. Or are people using their phones all the time and I am the only one who is using PC for this?
Some people just like to complain

thesecret1

Arcane
Logging in to my e-mail takes about 30 seconds, which is 30 seconds longer than I'd like to spend trying to login, with no tangible benefit to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom