Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale What is "trash" and non-"trash" combat?

Absinthe

Arcane
Trash combat is basically combat that has no challenge to it and exists as a form of padding. The better implementations of trash combat usually use it as a form of resource attrition and a way to make you pick your fights carefully. The more common form of trash combat is just as pointless grind for free exp and resources which not only serves as a source of easy combat victories but also a way to power up your character with grinding so you can make the rest of the game a joke too.

Trash combat as resource attrition threat is really only effective when it actually inflicts resource attrition. In Dragon Age: Origins, for instance, enemies drop tons of health potions and everyone has free out of combat regen to heal everyone to full. The consequence of this is that a trash fight serves no attrition purpose at all. That's a bit extreme, but in many other games you still have free resting (or a positive feedback loop where the grind reward more than covers the cost of using an inn/whatever to fully heal the party) or enemies that drop the very resources (health & mana potions) that trash combat is meant to serve as an attrition threat against.

When you do have trash combat that operates as a resource attrition threat, however, it is possible to do more interesting things with these kinds of combat encounters where you reward people for better play with more options.

mage warfare in Infinity Engine is usually not trash.
Nigga, they all play exactly same - inquisitor casts dispel magic and then select all+autoattack. can't be more trash than this.

I didn't have an Inquisitor but yeah, every Lich fight was basically an exercise in standing still for four minutes casting every strip spell you have memorized until the melees can pound it to bonemeal. Not exactly interesting or enjoyable.

Codex Year of the Donut
Infidelity isn't the same as cuckoldry, cuckoldry is accepting the infidelity. There's even a route for his quest that results in him having her lover executed and her imprisoned.

Yeah, but he needs you to convince him to do that. How am I supposed to rely on this man to make the correct decision when I'm knee-deep in human waste surrounded by Beholders if he can't even throw his whore wife out on the highstreet without me telling him to do so?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't have an Inquisitor
the idea of playing BG2 without recruiting Keldorn and never removing him from your party disgusts me
Keldorn, Korgan, and Mazzy make a top-tier party, with the other slots occupied by all the other companions until you reach the point where either Keldorn smites them because they're evil or Korgan comes to blows with them because they're annoying.

Codex Year of the Donut
Infidelity isn't the same as cuckoldry, cuckoldry is accepting the infidelity. There's even a route for his quest that results in him having her lover executed and her imprisoned.

Yeah, but he needs you to convince him to do that. How am I supposed to rely on this man to make the correct decision when I'm knee-deep in human waste surrounded by Beholders if he can't even throw his whore wife out on the highstreet without me telling him to do so?
You're his retainer, he's seeking guidance in a moral quandary.

I think it's his initial reaction. You need to convince him if you don't want it.

He wanted to let the courts handle it, I wanted to see what would happen if I took him to see her fuckboi. The other guy basically emasculates him in front of the whole party in a crowded bar and Keldorn just assents to all the guy's positions with no argument.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom