Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What the hell happened to the front page?

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Exitium said:
The text is pixellated on purpose. It's an artistic style. I don't like the anti-aliased look because it messes up the shadows into blurry bits which conflict with the way the site is supposed to look. The pixellated text makes it stand out from the background rather than blend into it.

My first impression is not that you're not making a stylistic point, but that the graphic was crudely made: an impression supported by the clear, precise lines with which the rest of the page (and particularly the boxes) are drawn. If you're looking to just bring more attention to the graphic, fading the background would bring up the contrast. If you really love the pixel effect, you might want to play around with making the boxes and lines simpler. Something else that might work is to make the graphics somewhat larger(or to exagerate the pixels to 2x2 instead of 1x1), so that the viewer realizes intuitively that the pixelation is by design. Just some thoughts....

Something else that just occured to me, it might be interesting to stage a design contest every so often for the rpg codex banner design, with similar to what blue does with his site....just make some base requirements (size, must say rpg codex) and see what the creative energies of some of the fans can do. Best part of it, you don't have to do anything, and you're not committed to accepting anything either...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Wow. The front page looks like shit.

My 2 cents.

The colour scheme is fucked right up. The bland pastel colours behind your content boxes look iffy at best, you almost need an image there and your text looks funky. Wow. And I saw the prototype even.

Saint_Proverbius said:
I'm the one that does the forum
So that's why the forum looks like shit too?

Jesus. This whole place looks like shit. I'm wondering if I can say shit a few more times. Shit. RPGCodex, making RPGs look like shit.

Okay, I'm done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom