Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What wargames do you play and why?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Seems like the forum should have a decent amount of grogs with a history of playing toy soldiers. What games do you play now and what games have you played before but don't now (and why?)

I've been playing One page Rules and Kings of war lately. I really enjoy both games but the agnostic nature of it makes my head explode with picking one goddamn faction and building a full 2,500 list which would be usable at larger events/club games.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
chain3-3.jpg

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Well I play Warhammer 40k, mostly kill team at this point.

A tzeentch themed CSM Warband.

VerSacrum

Educated
I started a collection of Late Medieval wargaming figures as a substitute for my waning enthusiasm for video games (mostly Perry Miniatures from their 1415-1429 and 1450-1500 range) and I'm looking to get into something like Lion Rampant or Ave Caesar. Taking my sweet time with the painting but I want them to have authentic heraldry etc. and I'm enjoying the process.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
I started a collection of Late Medieval wargaming figures as a substitute for my waning enthusiasm for video games (mostly Perry Miniatures from their 1415-1429 and 1450-1500 range) and I'm looking to get into something like Lion Rampant or Ave Caesar. Taking my sweet time with the painting but I want them to have authentic heraldry etc. and I'm enjoying the process.

I think historical accurate games are pretty cool bit I even have trouble getting 40k games going where I am from. I actually liked the old fantasy battles there as well, but there is simply no one to play. That said, I am a player not a painter or builder, thats the least favourite of the things concerning that hobby for me.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Well I play Warhammer 40k, mostly kill team at this point.

A tzeentch themed CSM Warband.
Tzeench themed or Thousand sons? How's kill team treating you?
That seems to be the way a lot of older guys go. Spending 3 days researching what colour nipple tassle each pikeman needs and whats the exact size in 28mm. Perry minis are nice but I found them a bit weedy for myself. Great for historics when you need 500 of the fuckers.

I think historical accurate games are pretty cool bit I even have trouble getting 40k games going where I am from. I actually liked the old fantasy battles there as well, but there is simply no one to play. That said, I am a player not a painter or builder, thats the least favourite of the things concerning that hobby for me.
Oh dear, it's a grey tide poster..

Just kidding. What do you do if you hate the hobby side of things and no one plays around you? Have children and in 10 years you have a gaming buddy!

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

Both actually, I have Chaos space marines and thousand son list (and even a Nurgle marine KT and auxilliary Berzerkers, gotta have those) as I have enough models for 40k

My Warband has the emblem of the thousand sons though and share the same color coding (even though I am using a red/white/grey scheme + Gold for the thousand son models) Including cultists, a kitbashed Master of execution, Chaos and scarab Terminators, etc.

They are basically one warband for 40k That I can split for KT into whatever faction I want.

I have a gigantic winning streak with both of them actually, my wife plays Tau, another friend also CSM (Khorne themed) and another one having Both Deathwatch, Normal Space marines and Imperial Guard.

I am not entirely sure it's me, the dice or all my enemies being shit but I never have lost in ~3 years playing KT. I am the most experienced player though, that may help.
Both CSM and TS are very strong in KT, the thousand sons always were a force to be recognised against other tin cans of course and in the CSM, the Cultists are damn OP because they carry flamers and soft targets like Tau or IG get melted in seconds.

Only the Tau had some really tight games, they have horribly strong weapons compared to others in KT.

Just kidding. What do you do if you hate the hobby side of things and no one plays around you? Have children and in 10 years you have a gaming buddy!

Heh, I was at some point. No while I don't like painting and building my wife does, so we have beautifully made warscapes to play on and since I have more money than sense I got my army painted. Nothing to be proud of but something nice to look at.

These here are part of mine:
https://theminiaturepaintingservice.co.uk/portfolio/tzeentch-chaos-space-marines-custom-chapter-2/

The site is shit, I was only able to open their page with Firefox.

EDIT: For ease of use, my chaos Terminator Lord:,

CQS0Vqp.png

And evidence it is mine:

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

It's easier to start historical war games if you live in continental europe, especially germany. From what I've heard.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

It's easier to start historical war games if you live in continental europe, especially germany. From what I've heard.

Funny, I am german. ;)

There are certainly a few eggheads around but not near me it seems :negative:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Wargaming in general has always been the white man's hobby. You meet the odd autistic asian but it's majority white men. The UK is the biggest pool of almost any wargame because it's small enough to travel around while being autistic enough to want to.

Both actually, I have Chaos space marines and thousand son list (and even a Nurgle marine KT and auxilliary Berzerkers, gotta have those) as I have enough models for 40k

My Warband has the emblem of the thousand sons though and share the same color coding (even though I am using a red/white/grey scheme + Gold for the thousand son models) Including cultists, a kitbashed Master of execution, Chaos and scarab Terminators, etc.

They are basically one warband for 40k That I can split for KT into whatever faction I want.

I have a gigantic winning streak with both of them actually, my wife plays Tau, another friend also CSM (Khorne themed) and another one having Both Deathwatch, Normal Space marines and Imperial Guard.

I am not entirely sure it's me, the dice or all my enemies being shit but I never have lost in ~3 years playing KT. I am the most experienced player though, that may help.
Both CSM and TS are very strong in KT, the thousand sons always were a force to be recognised against other tin cans of course and in the CSM, the Cultists are damn OP because they carry flamers and soft targets like Tau or IG get melted in seconds.

Only the Tau had some really tight games, they have horribly strong weapons compared to others in KT.

Heh, I was at some point. No while I don't like painting and building my wife does, so we have beautifully made warscapes to play on and since I have more money than sense I got my army painted. Nothing to be proud of but something nice to look at.

https://theminiaturepaintingservice.co.uk/portfolio/tzeentch-chaos-space-marines-custom-chapter-2/

CQS0Vqp.png

And evidence it is mine:
That's a beautiful army, you should give it back to the guy who painted it~

All memes aside, I enjoy painting my own dudes. I'm quite picky about it after a couple of decades painting. I wouldn't feel right having someone else painting my dudes. Even if I never get a project finished because I keep bouncing between them they're at least mine for better or woese.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

Wargaming in general has always been the white man's hobby. You meet the odd autistic asian but it's majority white men. The UK is the biggest pool of almost any wargame because it's small enough to travel around while being autistic enough to want to.

CQS0Vqp.png

And evidence it is mine:

All memes aside, I enjoy painting my own dudes. I'm quite picky about it after a couple of decades painting. I wouldn't feel right having someone else painting my dudes. Even if I never get a project finished because I keep bouncing between them they're at least mine for better or woese.

My wife wouldn't let others touch her models either. But it takes loads of time and effort to actually get them painted as well. I can't for the love of god get enough control over a brush to have any chance of having decently painted models. To be fair I cut my main hand in half as youth and cut all my tendons doing that in an accident and while it fully works again in normal circumstances I'm simply incapable of being precise enough on such miniscule scale.

I have great respect for Artists in the hobby of course, so be happy that I am jealous and do throw money at people who are capable of doing such things. I'm more at home in calculus, programming and datasheets. That is life.

EDIT: I'm still building and shaping the terrain though with my wife. So it's not all on her, but I would not want to bother her with painting my miniatures as well,

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Tried Warhammer Fantasy Battle as a kid. Enjoyed it, but bloodyhell did it eat into your days, so it didn't get played very often.

I did give myself a scar above my right eyebrow by headbutting a garage tap by accident once, as I jumped up celebrating killing a chaos demon. Looked a right twat.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Tried Warhammer Fantasy Battle as a kid. Enjoyed it, but bloodyhell did it eat into your days, so it didn't get played very often.

I did give myself a scar above my right eyebrow by headbutting a garage tap by accident once, as I jumped up celebrating killing a chaos demon. Looked a right twat.

Thats why we play KT, no time for large scale 40k, we play not enough for my liking anyways.

You could try kill team or Warcry (which seems to be the fantasy KT basically) it takes a lot less time and ressources to do.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

CQS0Vqp.png

And evidence it is mine:

My wife wouldn't let others touch her models either. But it takes loads of time and effort to actually get them painted as well. I can't for the love of god get enough control over a brush to have any chance of having decently painted models. To be fair I cut my main hand in half as youth and cut all my tendons doing that in an accident and while it fully works again in normal circumstances I'm simply incapable of being precise enough on such miniscule scale.

I have great respect for Artists in the hobby of course, so be happy that I am jealous and would throw money at people who are capable of doing such things. I'm more at home in calculus, programming and datasheets. That is life.

EDIT: I'm still building and shaping the terrain though with my wife. So it's not all on her, but I would not want to bother her with painting my miniatures as well,

I'm a firm believer that any one can paint minis unless you're blind. This guy has a bad tremour and manages to do some great work. I've even seen a paralysed dude painting with his mouth, that was pretty impressive TBH.

I understand the programming thing. I think it's one of those on/off switches. I can do almost anything colour wise and get a good result. I'm autistically artistic as my other half says. But I cannot for the life of me get a grip on coding. I can't visualize what the tech means as I craft with it. It's completely alien despite me being tech literate or what passed for it growing up.

Those are the best scars to have... Did it.. pour with blood? Was it a real.. flood? Could you not turn it off..?

Thats why we play KT, no time for large scale 40k, we play not enough for my liking anyways.

You could try kill team or Warcry (which seems to be the fantasy KT basically) it takes a lot less time and ressources to do.
I'd look into One page rules. Their rules are really stream lined and make games fast to play. They have a kill team alternative right up to full armageddon size games. Points are much higher so you need less models and there's lots of variety in how each faction can be played. I use my Nightlords as Havoc brothers and my Bolt action germans as Human defense force. Works really well. Can even mix fantasy and sci fi since they use the same rule set and points cost calculator. I've heard it works well but I've never sent my halflings into a barrage of bolter fire. Wouldn't be fair on the spass mareens to get mauled that hard.

Falksi

Arcane

Appreciate the suggestions chap, but I think my wargaming days are long since gone sadly. Getting the lads together for such an endeavor now would be a right struggle with family, kids, work, other commitments etc. between them all.

One of my mates did go on to get really into it though, and flies around the world to various tournaments. Half of it serves as an excuse to leave his wife behind and go on the piss, but if I ever get back into it I might give one of those tourny's he goes to a bash.

I did used to occasionally join him at Game's Workshop's Bugman's Bar in Notts for some slurps when I lived in the city center, and that crew were huge into it obviously, but it was early 00's and LARPing was all the rage, which made me run a mile lol.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
I'm a firm believer that any one can paint minis unless you're blind. This guy has a bad tremour and manages to do some great work. I've even seen a paralysed dude painting with his mouth, that was pretty impressive TBH.

Well that is impressive and I feel kinda bad now *but* it's really frustrating to work on a patch of models (last I painted some Khorne berzerkers) and invest hours into it and after that it looks like a picture of my 9 year old. Maybe one can learn it but I am not sure I am willing to put in the effort not all batlles have to be fought. Those artists also need the money to eat, I heard they are chronically underpaid :D

VerSacrum

Educated

There's this blind German guy who does 40k minis (@thecanepaints)
I found it simple enough to get started with all the technique tutorials on YouTube these days, but it's easy to get discouraged if you look at some real pros like Dmitry Fesechko

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

There's this blind German guy who does 40k minis (@thecanepaints)
I found it simple enough to get started with all the technique tutorials on YouTube these days, but it's easy to get discouraged if you look at some real pros like Dmitry Fesechko
I'm really not a fan of what youtube has done to the hobby. People think they need an airbrush and oil paints and have to slap this and chop that. Simple edge highlights and a wash is good enough for 99% of people. No fancy expensive shit. Fuck keeping up with the Jones and the youtube crowd shilling their own paint lines and ultra expensive brushes.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Wish I could find people to play literally ANY war game with that isn't fucking warhammer.

Most "mainstream" games in that tiny niche seem like a imitation of warhammer to some extent.

I have yet to see anyone playing Battle Tech or Historical Medieval/WW Wargaming so you are basically forced into that direction.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm preying that one of the 'Dex regulars is Putin in disguise, and pops on here with the answer "Ukraine"

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Wish I could find people to play literally ANY war game with that isn't fucking warhammer.

Most "mainstream" games in that tiny niche seem like a imitation of warhammer to some extent.

I have yet to see anyone playing Battle Tech or Historical Medieval/WW Wargaming so you are basically forced into that direction.
Now, yes. In the 2000s privateer press had a real rivalry building until they suicided everything. In the UK it's pretty easy to find a club within an hour playing a variety of games. It's still majority 40k but you will have groups of 6 or so guys playing different systems and warhammer on the side/gave up on warhammer.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

Now, yes. In the 2000s privateer press had a real rivalry building until they suicided everything. In the UK it's pretty easy to find a club within an hour playing a variety of games. It's still majority 40k but you will have groups of 6 or so guys playing different systems and warhammer on the side/gave up on warhammer.
Sadly I do not live in the UK.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Sadly I do not live in the UK.
Congratulations and/or it sucks to be you.

The wargaming scene is one of the few perks left here. Unfortunately the downside is most game shops are in cheap areas and clubs are in grubby pubs. Carrying a brief case looking box out of a pub at 11pm in a rough area has it's.. issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom