Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was your first video game? (Or the first ones per major generation)

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I bet no one has ever made a thread like this, ever. Ahem.

What was the first video game you've ever played, on what system, and how old were you?

Mine was, as typical as it is, Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo. Everyone just called it a Nintendo. I was four years old, and I didn't know which Nintendo it was exactly (and I still don't), or how popular this game was or wasn't, but I played it so much that I started involuntarily making Mario noises and music even when I wasn't playing it. Tada-tada-tada. Tada-tada-tada. Tada-tadatata-tadatata-tadatadatatadatatadatatata. Tada-tada-tada.

My parents took away the console after that for a few months. I eventually got it back with a bunch of new cartridges that had tons of different games on them, including Duck Hunt, Bomberman, Super Contra, Robocop, a cool ninja game the name of which I don't remember (Cage? Kage? Kain? Kuga?), and one flying game with cool graphics that I had never been able to find again later. And many others. Was TMNT one of those first games, or was it on a later version of Nintendo? Probably a later generation. Oh, and Felix the Cat. And Sonic... wait, have I crossed over into Sega? Sega came later. Sega MegaDrive, technically, but everyone just called it a Sega.

As for the first 3D game... I don't remember the exact first one, but one of the very first ones was Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. It blew me away in so many different ways, I was never the same again. I played that one many years later, on Sony (PlayStation, but everyone just called it a Sony). And the first PC game was almost certainly Baldur's Gate. Or Thief. Or Star Warts: Dark Forces (hated it, it seemed so old and outdated). Or some crap that I forgot because it wasn't good.

But the very first game was definitely Mario. Your princess is in another castle.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Mine, I think it was pong, but I don't really remember. I remember Barbarian fightning game on C64 and I do remember playing a lot of pipeline (mario bros. 1) with my friends. We had a lot of laugh, because it was so funny to mess around with turtles. Good times.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Funny, I was thinking of making this same thread a couple days ago.
Mine was the first Rayman, on MS-DOS.

AndyS

Augur
Our first game system was a Coleco Telstar that played several Pong variations (Jai Alai! Yeah!). The first video games that I remember really capturing my imagination were Pac-Man and Donkey Kong in the arcades. When it came to upgrading our game console, we skipped over the Atari 2600 and Intellivision and went with the Colecovision, although I still had a bunch of 2600 games thanks to the adapter module. Our first home PC was an IBM PCjr., which I used to play a lot of Infocom adventures, the first couple of King's Quest games, Jumpman, Karateka, and Lode Runner.

Falksi

Arcane
Missile Command in the arcades. On home systems I played Pitfall on the Atari at a mates, but for my own home system it was Granny's Garden on the BBC Micro.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Canonically it was Cannon Fodder on an Amiga 500 while visiting someone my parents knew. Technically I played the great giana sisters earlier on the same day, but eh, I rather remember Cannon Fodder. It left a lasting impression with quite vivid memories of shit blowing up to this very day, well it and those copy protection schemes where you looked for words in the manual... and learning to control the mouse cursor.

Velut

Literate
I think it was Chip and Dale game. Could be wrong because my mother gave me quite a few games with Dendy, it is the only one that I still remember through.

Melcar

Arcane
I think it was something I played at either the arcades or while waiting at a car wash with my father (probably 6-7 years old). I want to say Galaga.

Beggar

Cipher
roadras.jpg

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
My memory tells me river raid on atari 2600, but I'm not sure if it's actually true. First PC game I do remember - it was wolf3d.

Axie

Scholar
Saboteur on ZX Spectrum, around 5-6 years old.

Various arcades were first, though...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Probably Battle City on a NES at about 5 years of age, at least that's my oldest memory as a sentient being.

Before that I tried playing something like Space Invader's on a ZX Spectrum, but failed. I was about 3. I can't recall the specifics. I don't think that counts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom