Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would be your all time TOP 3 games?

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
1) Fallout

2) Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic

3) Disciples 2 ( + Rise of the Elves )

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Choosing the three best games I've played would be too hard, so I'll just go with the gut feeling and choose three games I've probably enjoyed the most overall. There are way too many games from the late 90's or early 2000's that would deserve a mention.

1. Deus Ex

A game that is way more than the sum of its parts and along with games like System Shock 2 shows how much potential has gone to waste during the last decade or so when it comes to computer games. I usually finish Deus Ex at least once every couple of years, and it has aged surprisingly well despite already looking dated on the day it came out.

2. Planescape: Torment

Not sure if this one needs explanation. A great setting and probably the best story-telling in any game. I've only finished the game once, but overall that was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had. I was quite happy of the way it ended and haven't had the urge to change anything afterwards.

3. Operation Flashpoint

I'm not much of a multiplayer guy and I wasn't one even when OFP came out. Quite surprisingly it was the single-player campaign and the mission editor that kept me hooked for god knows how long. This has to be on the list simply because of the amount of time I've spent with the fucking editor. It was a great game too.

LemmingCake

Novice
1) Baldurs Gate

My first rpg, I pretty much grew up on that game and the memories that it left with me are priceless. Baldurs Gate 2 not so much, the first one felt a lot more natural in it's setting, encounters and story. I feel like BG 2 was a stepping stone to the overly dramatic attempts at being super serious and edgy shit that the company is churning out now, typical over acted american hollywood bullshit. I'm getting an urge to play through it again.

2) diablo

Dark and atmospheric, very enigmatic in it's entirety for the time it was released, at least for me as a kid. Every facet of the game seemed to mold together so gracefully to create such a strong, dark atmosphere, from the music (the town theme being just one that I will never forget) to the beautifully grim graphics and monster designs. Memorable sounds and item portraits, from the sounds potions or other items made when clicked on to the instantly recognizable item pictures, simple but very effective. Perhaps it's thr simplicity of certain aspects of the game that make it so easy to remember and leave an impression.

I can't think of a third place, though many come to mind such as Planescape or Temple of elemen...
actually I just remembered.

3)C&C Red Alert

Great memories, lan matches against my brothers late into the night, simply awesome :D

catfood

AGAIN
SMAC
Thief: The Dark Project
Deus Ex
Rollercoaster Tycoon

Yeah, I can have 4 favourite games. :smug:

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
I need to give the Thief games another go. I loved the handful of hours I played them, but got sidetracked because of my fucking insane school schedule.

Bro if I were you I'd drop out of highschool or college or whatever and get started on the Thief games. Just sayin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom