Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the deal with Divine and Beyond Divinity?

Dhruin

Liturgist
You guys do realise responding is a colossal waste of time, right?

Texas Red

Whiner
How are the cities and settlements? What I enjoy is going around towns and exploring, talking and doing various little quests, engaging in combat here and now. Basically, are there major settlements which dont evolve only around combat?

AZ

Liturgist
Sure, and npcs has daily routines, like opening/closing shops.

Texas Red

Whiner
Exitium's review said:
With the recent flooding of CRPG releases in the market, Divine Divinity finds itself in steep competition against many other games of the same genre, some of which that have been more received wider press coverage and have garnered a larger fan-base than Divine Divinity, Larian Studios' second effort into the already saturated CRPG market.

Funny. Exactly the next that year the flood ended.

Texas Red

Whiner
I played around with this for a bit and I definitely recommend this game to all Codexers.

Read here and there about Beyond Divinity and I still cant understand why it is considered worse. The only difference I spot is in the graphics and the fact that you control more than 1 character(which is always a plus in my book). Strange though, the graphics of Beyond Divinity seem to be poor compared to DD.

But yeah, if youre reading this post then pick the game up. During this RPG draught everything is worth trying.

I've owned DD since August or so, but the fun factor quickly wore off after leaving the first town. Contrary to popular opinion, I enjoyed playing through the large multi-level dungeon beneath Aleroth, and subsequently curing Mardaneus. It was after leaving Aleroth, however, that the generic landscapes and scenery started to put me to sleep. The furthest I've gotten so far with my Warrior/Summoner is the quest that involves "breaking the orc siege," given by Captain Mitox.

Fez

Erudite
He liked the dungeon crawls more than the topside exploration?

No, you guys are getting the wrong idea. Aleroth featured incredible detail, and offered a few fun quests. I used a walkthrough to get through the first dungeon as fast as possible, so that never really bothered me. However, the farmlands, barracks, etc. is pretty bland IMO. I'll continue to play as I really like the game's extensive NPC interaction and quirky attempts at humor.

Texas Red

Whiner
I agree with Legion. Aleroth seemed somewhat better. Cant put my finger on it.

What puts me off is the large amount of errors in skill descriptions and how everything is unbalanced. Why should I waste over 10 mana points when I can fire magical arrows from a bow that cost *1* mana point and do greatly more damage? Why are there 2 identical skills in the surviver's and warrior's trees that add to sight, except you can choose the warriors at level 2 and it gives a biger bonus?

etc. etc.

If you thought Arcanum suffered from balance issues...

Good game but I stopped after I got one of those magical arrow skills. Nothing(and I mean NOTHING*) could have even touched me.

I will probably pick it up later with a differet character.

I forgot to mention that Divine Divinty has the worst pathfinding ever. Even with patch 1.34, the pathfinding was atrocious. This really became a problem during the "Help the Cook" quest in Stormfist Castle, where you have to fill a tub with water and wash dirty dishes.

vrok

Liturgist
I'd have to say DD gets 100% from me. 100% chance of putting me to sleep within 5 minutes.

Beyond Divinity actually had action worth paying attention to though.

Texas Red

Whiner
I cant understand why the switched the beautiful 2d character models to 3d in BD. It looks so awfully bad that its painful to look at the screen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom