Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite adventure game?

pipka

Savant
What can change the nature of RPG? C&C? Branching dialogue? Experience? Character development? Actual Role Playing? LARPing? Multiple endings?
Nothing is holy.

noedyo.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Donkey Balls said:
Okay, guys, I get it, you play the role of The Nameless One. It's an RPG, alright. Silly me.
Yes you are silly. It's an RPG because character stats > player skill and because the player controls the changes in character stats. Not because you "play the role".

aries202

Erudite
My favourite adventure game is: The Longest Journey and probably with Grim Fandango and one of the Monkey Island games coming up close.

One could easily argue that PS: Torment could be seen as an adventure game, as I think you can avoid most combat situations if you have high enough Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma...

One could also argue, much in the same way that the first Fallout game could be seen as adventure game since you could avoid combat all together. Just talk your way thorugh the game.

Still, adventure games tend to focus on characters, plots, dialogues and story - just like The Longest Journery does.

yaster

Liturgist
pipka said:
noedyo.jpg

Awesome way of saying it. Where does it come from? Fan artwork? It doesn't looks like it is from the game.

Either way I suppose mine would be either The Last Express (as I am huge Mechner fanboy and this is his best) or Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon (because I am huge Kheops fanboy and I like it the most). I am not very stable on 'the best' opinion though, tomorrow it can be something completely different.

visions

Arcane
I haven't played most of the classic adventures (I should try to rectify this this summer) but of the few I've played, my favorite is Blade Runner.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Day of the Tentacle or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis OR A Vampyre Story. Actually I love all 3 of them. Great, great games.

DriacKin

Arbiter
yaster said:
Either way I suppose mine would be either The Last Express (as I am huge Mechner fanboy and this is his best)
I agree 100%. Jordan Mechner has never made a bad game, and this was his best one.

Quilty

Magister
Monkey Island 3. When I'm feeling down a quick dip into its great artwork, music and charm is all it takes to make me shout El Pollo Diablo! with joy.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Zork Grand Inquisitor, Simon the Sorcerer and Lucas Arts games I dont even need to mention.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
sam & max hit the road... destroying the western united states to save yetis was the best motive i've seen in games so far

i always liked the gobliins games as well for the whole silliness and slapstick

last adventure i've played was jack keane (found on a magazine dvd) and i was pleasantly surprised by the way the story was presented and by the jokes not being too facepalm-worthy... very little pixelhunting too

madbringer

Arcane
On a more serious note, my all-time favourite must be Blade Runner. It's all but the perfect adventure game, in my opinion, with but a few plot critical points strewn over, little emphasis put on hunting down items, they themselves only being clues that help put together a clear picture of the events and motivations of the people that participated in them. I especially love the skill with which the game's characters were crafted. And, of course, the non-linearity, that beautiful uncertainty which doesn't dissolve after just one playthrough.

I don't think any adventure game since came close to this beauty, but certainly many are also tons of fun to play, especially most LucasArts titles, The Longest Journey, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 and Syberia.

L'ennui

Magister
Too many to choose.

Day of the Tentacle for the lulz.
The Dig
Myst or Riven
Indiana Jones games
Star Trek: 25th anniversay
Star Trek: judgement rites
Sam and Max hit the road

Suchy

Arcane
Gabriel Knight 1
Blade Runner

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom