Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite adventure game?

Bruticis

The Dig or Loom for me but I haven't played many (any) adventure games recently. Anything that's just kick ass, must play in the last 3 years or so?

empi

Augur
I'd probably say I've enjoyed playing adventure games more than I have RPGs. Literal dozens of adventures I consider to be fantastic games whereas most RPGs are so fucking flawed it hurts to play them. However, in my opinion, Grim Fandango rises above all others I've played (there are still a couple I haven't been able to get my hands on such as blade runner). This is because of: the beautiful art and music; the vivd and memorable characters; the interesting story and world; the lovely non slapstick humour and the general style that oozes out of it. It managed to blend the hilarity of most Lucasarts games with the more subtle areas, something bloody impressive.

Angthoron

Arcane
Longwinded & Pretty said:
Oddly enough I'm going to say Space Quest 1-3. I've played many other games, but for some reason I just keep coming back to SQ.

Pretty much this, and with the old text commands rather than the "classic" Sierra interface. Some of the LSLs were also pretty nice, LSL6 in particular. The amusement value in those games is quite high.

Edit: Nice, found a place that has this stuff packaged together with Dosbox already.

Stabwound

Arcane
King's Quest 6. Also happens to be the first PC adventure game I played, so there's probably some nostalgia going on there, but it really is an excellent game.

Maniac Mansion is a close second.

empi said:
I'd probably say I've enjoyed playing adventure games more than I have RPGs. Literal dozens of adventures I consider to be fantastic games whereas most RPGs are so fucking flawed it hurts to play them.
I'd also agree with this. I played a lot more adventure games than CRPGs while I was growing up, but you have to admit that adventure games have aged a lot more gracefully than rpgs did.

madbringer said:
Blade Runner. It's all but the perfect adventure game, in my opinion, with but a few plot critical points strewn over, little emphasis put on hunting down items, they themselves only being clues that help put together a clear picture of the events and motivations of the people that participated in them. I especially love the skill with which the game's characters were crafted. And, of course, the non-linearity, that beautiful uncertainty which doesn't dissolve after just one playthrough.
Word for word, this.

Bitcher

Educated
No mention of Sanitarium? I am disappoint...
Aside from that: Blade Runner, Monkey Islands and Discworld Noir, it will be. Perhaps the first Gabriel Knight as well.
It actually seems like I have more favourite adventure games than the RPG ones. :M

Never been a huge fan of Adventure games.

However, I have played and enjoyed the Indiana Jones Adventure games, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Maniac Mansion, Blade Runner, original Quest for Glory and a few other ancient games (Space Quest, Kings Quest, text adventures etc). Last adventure game I played was Fate of Atlantis. I guess I should try some of these newer games, but I don't know how to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Seolas

Liturgist
Blackadder said:
Never been a huge fan of Adventure games.

However, I have played and enjoyed the Indiana Jones Adventure games, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Maniac Mansion, Blade Runner, original Quest for Glory and a few other ancient games (Space Quest, Kings Quest, text adventures etc). Last adventure game I played was Fate of Atlantis. I guess I should try some of these newer games, but I don't know how to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Try "The Longest Journey" (1999), "Broken Sword 3" (2003), "Runaway: A Road Adventure" (2001), and the Monkey Island remakes for good newish adventure games. If you like the Monkey Islands, there is a new episodic set of games out now.

coaster

Liturgist
I tend to like the creepy stuff - Scratches, Penumbra (not sure if it qualifies), Darkness Within, Sanitarium, Blackstone Chronicles. Still got Black Mirror 2 and Darkness Within 2 to play, looking forward to Amnesia Dark Descent. Having said that, Myst had great atmosphere and early Monkey Islands can't be beaten for humour and top music.

zeitgeist

Magister
Art style and animation: Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 3, Sam&Max HtR
Story/general atmosphere: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Dreamweb, Sanitarium, Beneath the Steel Sky
Overall: Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, Blade Runner, Syberia, Innocent Until Caught/Guilty, Dune

I love all of the Lucas arts adventures.they had soul man. SOUL. but outside Lucas arts, I love Neverhood very much. A warm and lovely game with different kind of puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom