Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Which is the best Zelda game?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Which is the best Zelda game?

• Total voters

funkadelik

Arcane
If they make a BotW with proper dungeons instead of those morrowindian tiny shrines, it might become goty all years.

I agree 1000000% with this. I mean, it's nice on BOTW when you enter a dungeon for the first time and see how it is. But then, after you realize that all of them are pretty much equal and even play the same way (with only physics based puzzles), it becomes very underwhelming. But Nintendo is on its way to make better Zelda games, BOTW showed that they at least will (at least I hope) stop with the extreme handholding.
BOTW was fun but I found myself trying to get through it just so I could stop playing it. It has a lot of things you can do, most of it is grinding. You will be grinding shrines for hearts or stamina bars. The combat is fun but all of the minibosses present on the map are easy to figure out and then cheese down once you understand their movesets. There are only 5 dungeons, the 4 divine beasts (of which only the Camel one is moderately difficult due to the 3 rotating parts of the body), most of them take 20 minutes or less. The final dungeon, aka Hyrule Castle, can be completely bypassed by climbing. The final two Ganon fights are ridiculously easy, if you complete the divine beasts first and get the mastersword.

It was a fun game but I doubt I will ever feel the need or want to replay it as I did with LTTP. The first Zelda game I played was Zelda II, glad my stepfather got the original as well to restore my faith in the game. When I was a child I rode my bike to Trade-A-Game and would stock the shelves for them at the price of a shitty game, which were determined by colored stickers. I saw that there was the SNES Zelda with a shitty color sticker on it and picked that as one of my payments. It was in French, which is why it was heavily discounted, but I played the shit out of it without being able to read any of the dialogue. Later on, when emulation became a thing I replayed LTTP multiple times. OoT was a fantastic game I played many times in 4th grade, my friends and I actually learned how to speed run it over the summer. MM was awkward but fun. WW was the last Zelda game I truly felt was a real successor to the Zelda lineage. Every game after has been way too easy.

BotW just feels to Ubisoft open-world samey to me. I did enjoy the combat and physics manipulation though.

Gastrick

Cipher
I appreciate BoTW for improving so much on the 3D series, but would have to say that LTTP is the best game. The nes Zelda games and CD-i are pretty great as well, once you know how to tackle these games. For example, with Zelda 1 it sucks until you know to check every map-screen and are patient and skilled enough to get through the overworld and dungeons. OOT ended up sucking but Majoras Mask ended up being decent. Unfortunately the gamecube games and Skyward Sword weren't any good. Minish Cap was quite dull.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The best Zelda game, by a very big margin, is Link's Awakening.

Most Zelda games are good games. A Link to the Past is genuinely great. Ocarina of Time was a foundation stone for contemporary 3D action games. But Link's Awakening stands above the rest because it isn't just a great game from the gameplay and design perspective. It's conceptually great.

It's the only game in the series with subtext. It's the only one worth anything beyond game design and mechanics. Awakening the Wind Fish is a meta commentary on the condition of the player while engaging with the game. Link and the player will leave the island once the Wind Fish is awakened. Does it cease to exist once it disappears? Did it ever exist in the first place? Is the island an idea, an abstraction? The island is to Link what the game is to the player? It's thought provoking, it's an idea that stays it with you after the game is done.

A child plays the other good Zelda games and comes out with, at best, some insight on game design. A child plays Link's Awakening and comes out with an idea that transcends gaming.

Last edited:
:necro:

Damn... I didn't know Zelda games got so serious...

That isn't the correct version of this trailer:

People were really thirsty for a return of an adult Link LOZ game after Wind Waker. Especially after we were teased with the Spaceworld demo. I miss reveals like this.

Ultimately Twilight Princess ranks pretty low in my favorite Zelda list due to a number of factors outside of a few setpieces (laughably easy, Midna being more of a main character than Link is), but it still has my favorite Zelda and Link design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom