Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which one you anticipate the most in this year?

Which one you anticipate the most

• Age of Conan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warhammer Online

• Aion

• The Chronicle of Spellborn

• Dragon Ball Online

• Guild War2

• Mabinogi

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

cokkee

Novice
See below. What the fun is that there is also a video version of these MMORPGs' introduction, kinda saved me a lot time to read. I like to watch and hate to read too much.

GW2 is my take, can not wait for it. really want to know what they will add in GW2, GW1 is so nice already.

Age of Conan (March 25th, 2008)

Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures is an Online Action RPG scheduled for Windows in the first half of 2006.
A mix of a deep, story-driven single-player experience and a massive and brutal multiplayer end-game brings forth the ultimate representation of the Age of Conan.

Warhammer Online (Q2 2008)

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (WAR), not to be confused with the now defunct Warhammer Online, is the translation of the Warhammer universe into the online space by Mythic Entertainment. The Fairfax, VA based developers - who also brought you Dark Age of Camelot - secured the license at E3 2005. The first images then became available in March of 2006.
WAR hopes to launch in 2007 with six playable races, spread over two factions. As the name implies, these factions will wage an all-out PvP war on the game's servers. Beta is scheduled for the summer of 2006.

RO2

Ragnarok Online 2 (also known as: RO2) is the sequel to well known Ragnarok Online. There are many improvements upon the game, as to be expected with any sequel. Some pains and hassles delt with in the past have been corrected for more enjoyable and fluid gameplay. These details are described throughout this entire article. Though there are a lot of rumors circulating, we attempted to label every detail whether it be fact or just a rumor.

Aion

Aion is the most visually beautiful MMORPG ever made. In this ethereal world, you will have the power to direct dynamic relationships between angels, demons and dragons to control the fate of the world. You will evolve Aion's storylines through social, economic and cultural experiences that are both interactive and cinematic.
Aion is a game that knows no cultural boundaries, and will provide an art style, story and game mechanics that will last through the ages and be appreciated by a global audience

The Chronicle of Spellborn

Welcome to The Chronicles of Spellborn, a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game currently in development for the PC. The Chronicles of Spellborn boasts an original setting and storyline and offers a distinctive art style. The game is being built using the renowned Unreal Engine.
Set within a unique universe, a realm that has been torn apart by the catastrophic events of the last great war, The Chronicles of Spellborn will offer you the chance to go questing with a group of heroes one day, conquer new shards and engage in the politics of the High Houses.

Dragon Ball Online

Dragon Ball Online sets in the Dragon Ball world 250 years after the original work. In the game, players will take adventures in Dragon Ball world. Staying true to Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Online has been enhanced a lot in terms of story. In the game, players can join PvP at the World Martial Arts Tournament and take on quests with the goal of collecting dragon balls. Closely related to the original work, Dragon Ball Online will make players feel immersed and present.

Guild War2 (Q3 2008)

Guild Wars 2 is the sequel to the Guild Wars series which is currently in development by ArenaNet. The game will feature a new game engine, changes to character development and the PvP system. Guild Wars 2 is expected to go into beta test in the second half of 2008. No release date has been announced.

Mabinogi (Closed Beta on Jan. 30th, 2008)

This is a fantasy MMORPG based on the Celtic mythology, Mabinogion. Unlike other games, when a player starts off in-game they may choose an age for their character instead of a class. For every Saturday that passes, the character will age one year and as a result they will recieve higher level-up stats and such. A unique feature in this game is the rebirthing of characters. You can choose to rebirth your character back to level one (resetting everything) except the skills you have learned in your previous life. By rebirthing you will be able to have more skills than a player who does not choose to rebirth.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Wakfu get's my vote. Improved sprites, better art direction, and characters don't look as bland as the kind in Dofus.

sabishii

Arbiter
Warhammer got delayed until Fall.

Newsletter said:
The second, that the game would benefit from additional iteration time as well as adding a layer of polish or two. Fortunately, as part of Electronic Arts, we are able to do just that.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Still, it gets my vote because of my nostalgia for the hundreds of hours spent on RPG sessions in the Old World. I know I'll buy Battlemarch and Warhammer Online, even though both of them have potential to be very bad games. But still...

obediah

Erudite
Elwro said:
Still, it gets my vote because of my nostalgia for the hundreds of hours spent on RPG sessions in the Old World. I know I'll buy Battlemarch and Warhammer Online, even though both of them have potential to be very bad games. But still...

I think Warhammer Online has little potential to be anything other than a bland WoW-Clone/Killer. The never-completed, and from rumours I heard hardly-started, WHFRP online game had me really excited, and that excitement was enough to carry me through the first few years of the current development. But I've finally lost interest. The decision to focus on RvR instead of roleplaying in the Empire, and that it is being made to syphon off WoW players is just too fucking much.

Suicidal

Arcane
Ahzaruuk said:
I got my eye on Aion, personally.

Isn't that just an another generic Korean grind-fest MMO, only with shinier graphics?

eth

Novice
GW2 for me.

Started GW just about 2 weeks now, with Nightfall campaign, then the next week i got all the other campaigns + expansion and i have to say that i am amazed by how it plays. The thing i really appreciate is that i can play it like a typical cRPG (in the style of NWN lets say - though its better) when i feel like it , or like a MMO for the rest of the time.

Got invited to some 30+ only guild - people are generally cool there. And not only there but generally, the ammount of 'kiddies' is minimal.

Considering the price that ain't higher than the typical cRPG and no monthly fees, the huge world that's there to explore - larger than your typical cRPG, i think its MUCH more than just "worth it's money".

MMO history: Rubies of Eventide (2 years), Dofus (about 4 months), WoW (1.5 year).

SilasMalkav

Educated
Suicidal said:
Ahzaruuk said:
I got my eye on Aion, personally.

Isn't that just an another generic Korean grind-fest MMO, only with shinier graphics?

Aka Lineage II with bloom. Angels are just an execuse to have elves with bloom.

Zakhal

Liturgist
eth said:
GW2 for me.

Started GW just about 2 weeks now, with Nightfall campaign, then the next week i got all the other campaigns + expansion and i have to say that i am amazed by how it plays. The thing i really appreciate is that i can play it like a typical cRPG (in the style of NWN lets say - though its better) when i feel like it , or like a MMO for the rest of the time.

Got invited to some 30+ only guild - people are generally cool there. And not only there but generally, the ammount of 'kiddies' is minimal.

Considering the price that ain't higher than the typical cRPG and no monthly fees, the huge world that's there to explore - larger than your typical cRPG, i think its MUCH more than just "worth it's money".

MMO history: Rubies of Eventide (2 years), Dofus (about 4 months), WoW (1.5 year).

GW2 for me too allthough AoC is a close call. The first guild war and expansions sold 5 million. The campaign in the game is at best (Nightfall) up to the level of single player games - and you can play it singleplayer too if you cant find anyone to roleplay with so its all win/win.

J1M

Arcane
Wrath of the Lich King, did you not include it because it was such an obvious winner?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
J1M said:
Wrath of the Lich King, did you not include it because it was such an obvious winner?

Seems they're bias against WoW in these parts. I can understand the sentiment.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
From all the names AoC tells me something, but i rather dont give a damn. BUT some dude in before me mentioned Wakfu... That would be my winner too!

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
What do you guys think about WAR being developed as a 12+ game? I was going to preorder it, but then I saw the rating...

EDIT: voted 'yes' of course!

sabishii

Arbiter
What do you guys think about WAR being developed as a 12+ game? I was going to preorder it, but then I saw the rating...
Yeah, it means there's no topless titties bouncing around :roll:. Trust me, just because AoC is rated Mature doesn't mean jack shit, especially when half the population is waving their e-peens around while ganking people in FFA servers. Plus the spoiled kids who get their mommies to buy them the game are probably more annoying than the average 13 year old that plays WoW.

The only good thing about the Mature rating that AoC has is the fatalities. To save you the trouble of having to buy the game to see these sweet sonuvabitches I made a music video.

Anyways I've been following WAR on b e t a l e a k s . c o m and IMO the design and mechanics of the game are really smart. No, it's not really touching the level-up grind that I know most of you hate most about MMOs, but instead there's a lot of focus on interesting class mechanics (not just autoattack + spam spell/ability) and also a lot of focus on large-scale realm vs realm PVP.

Rulion

Liturgist
Darkfall isn't on that list. They're aiming for a 2008 release date (yeah, I know, I know, but I believe them this time)

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Rulion said:
Darkfall isn't on that list. They're aiming for a 2008 release date (yeah, I know, I know, but I believe them this time)

The game may look interesting but the fanbase on the forums makes the ESF look like a sanctuary of enlightened discussion.

sabishii

Arbiter
So nobody else is going for WAR? I played during preview weekend, and it felt much more like PVP in Guild Wars or DAOC, though admittedly I've only tried both a little bit) than PVP in WoW. The essential difference is that you feel a lot less "powerful" in WAR, so that you have to rely on your teammates to perform their role in order to win. 5v5 really is 5v5 instead of (1v1)x5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom