Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which rpg company has the highest hype machine?

Andhaira

Arcane
For instance, a year or so ago I made a thread about how Dragon Age was basically vaporware. David Gaider came in and explained that was because the hype machine had not yet started. And lo, so it has.

So far the top tier competitors to me seem to be:

Bioware
Bethesda
Square Enix

Thoughts?

Discuss!!

Beth had a pretty big thing going over here for Fallout 3, there were even posters at our bus stops.

catfood

AGAIN
Bethesda no doubt. I mean, here we have at least two Dragon Age previews that have at least a thing or two they didn't like about it, but I can't remember a single Oblivion preview that had negative things to say in it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except I don't remember Lionhead producing anything that can be called RPG even remotely, even with traditional excuses a la "itz haz numberz itz a rpg".

Wyrmlord

Arcane
BioWare easily wins this contest just because of Mass Effect.

Mass Effect had one of the most elaborate and longest running hype campaigns I can remember. So elaborate that I have not even played the game, and yet I already know of the villain, the characters, and the hint of a twist just from a few trailers.

They released a book for it, made some bold statements about the length and scope of the game (which would make even Volourn laugh), claimed an unprecedented level of interaction through a few videos of your character pulling a gun on an alien and punching an old man, and showed every situation in the game as highly intense and dramatic.

Bethesda, not so much, because Bethesda never did much for Fallout 3 early marketing other than a few screenshots, a few statements, and just some large scale advertising at the end. But trying to play the hype as a game is something I have seen only BioWare do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom