Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Who else thinks the text parser is coming back?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Considering how text to speech technology has advanced recently, especially through large datasets like google stuff, i think it's only a question of time and someone will put 2 and 2 together and get 5. The technical problems i foresee is the huge data requirements for effective TTS and large processing usage, however that data requirement can be very simplified by just cutting down the 'effective words' the game has to recall since, after all the required or even optional wording to interact with a game is limited.

Actually something like a general one for IF would be very much possible without recoding games i think (not the most efficient for single games you understand, because cutting down on the corpus would be very helpful)

The social problems will be to appear as a huge dork to anyone who is watching you play a game by talking to your computer.
:desu:

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wat? What does movement have to do with contextual actions? Good text parsers ALWAYS interpret where you're trying to do a action, so for instance 'talk to lilian' might walk the toon to where lilian is. Hybrid systems where mouse or keypad do it for movement are also possible and likely.

Gregz

Arcane
Wat? What does movement have to do with contextual actions? Good text parsers ALWAYS interpret where you're trying to do a action, so for instance 'talk to lilian' might walk the toon to where lilian is. Hybrid systems where mouse or keypad do it for movement are also possible and likely.

Like I said, the only utility I can see here is to allow the player to minimize tedious travel in hiking sims. Your example is one of many that works, but if she's right in front of me I'll just right-click -> talk.

full text parsers? i don't know, i doubt i'd really like them. but i absolutely loved wizardry 8 dialogue system.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, I enjoy them, but they can be an asspain to program and implement! But if you talk the time, it can make for a more fun and interactive environment.

Bt

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
I really enjoyed programming games for the Sierra AGI Sarien Interpreter. There's definitely more freedom to a good parser game, although a poorly made one can be an obnoxious exercise in guess-the-designer's-vocabulary.

Roberta Williams text parser games are probably the best examples of badly designed parser adventures. I swear to God you have to read that woman's bland little mind to play games like King's Quest III and Laura Bow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom