Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are so many Codexers like this?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, to recapitulate: your only proof that I'm a 'nationalist' is that once I voted for a Polish game.

Wow. You completely gloss over the fact you voted for a game you didn't even play.

Moreover: if an American would vote for a US-made RPG would you consider him a nationalist for this single reason? Surely not. It would make you look like a complete moron. So why do you do this leap of logic in my case?

If he voted for a game he either didn't play or didn't like solely because it was an American game, then yes. See my point now?

My, my, aren't you a touchy little snoflake. Did I trigger you with my vote? Perhaps you need a safespace to get calm?

Why don't you go ruin some other community with your bullshit takes. I hear Reddit loves Twitcher games, so I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, to recapitulate: your only proof that I'm a 'nationalist' is that once I voted for a Polish game.

Wow. You completely gloss over the fact you voted for a game you didn't even play.

Moreover: if an American would vote for a US-made RPG would you consider him a nationalist for this single reason? Surely not. It would make you look like a complete moron. So why do you do this leap of logic in my case?

If he voted for a game he either didn't play or didn't like solely because it was an American game, then yes. See my point now?

My, my, aren't you a touchy little snoflake. Did I trigger you with my vote? Perhaps you need a safespace to get calm?

Why don't you go ruin some other community with your bullshit takes. I hear Reddit loves Twitcher games, so I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Oh, I think I'll stay and ruin this one a bit more. Especially since you're asking so nice.

And if I ever decide to vote for a Polish game in a GOTY poll, I'll be sure to inform you about it, so you can whine about it a little more.

Adios, looser!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh, I think I'll stay and ruin this one a bit more. Especially since you're asking so nice.

And if I ever decide to vote for a Polish game in a GOTY poll, I'll be sure to inform you about it, so you can whine about it a little more.

Adios, looser!

Please do. And let me know when you finally play your 2020 GOTY Cyberpunk 2077. I'm curious if it'll knock Fallout 1 from your top 10 list.

Ok, here's mine (edit: added 11 and 12 to honor Piranha Bytes):

1. Arcanum
2. Fallout 2
3. Witcher 1
4. Planescape: Torment
5. Witcher 3
6. Fallout: New Vegas
7. Disco Elysium
8. Witcher 2
9. Underrail
10. Fallout 1
11. Gothic 2+NOTR
12. Elex

Codex Year of the Donut
lol slavs pretending they don't blatantly shill terrible games because they're made by other slavs
do you guys do it unconsciously?

Harthwain

Magister
Nah, you're almost right. There's Western Europe (UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, etc) and then there's Eastern Europe which is basically just Russia.
Why would Italy stand out? A popular vacation spot?
Pizza, Pasta, the Mafia and Super Mario.
Yeah, why wouldn't Italy stand out, exactly? Also don't forget Rome and the Catholic Church.
I was drawing a blank for some reason. When you guys mentioned it it became obvious right away.

dacencora

No, you're confused. It wouldn't be that everything south of Texas is Mexico, it's that they might think everything south of Texas is South America. They're probably going to know Brazil, the Amazon, and Argentina aren't part of Mexico; but they might just use South America interchangeably with Latin America. I don't think that's an average American thing, but it's probably also a whole fucking lot.

I’m American. Yes Brazil and Argentina and all those exist. Yes, everyone who comes from south of Texas is still a Mexican. I don’t make the rules, ok?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I’m American. Yes Brazil and Argentina and all those exist. Yes, everyone who comes from south of Texas is still a Mexican. I don’t make the rules, ok?

Does the British/French territories in central and south america still count as Mexico? BTW, I can understand Spanish, not Mexican spanish(only Argentine and Spain's one), however, speak, I can only say one phrase "las malvinas son inglesas"

you must secretly want to fuck them

LOL. The high amount of western man being scammed by eastern European chicks show that they OPENLY want that. hu3hu3hu3

lol slavs pretending they don't blatantly shill terrible games because they're made by other slavs

Except that most RPG games in top 100 RPG codex games are from USA.

Codex Year of the Donut
Because they're good. I'd never pretend most obshitian games are good just because they're from USA, if anything I set them to a higher standard and am willing to judge non-american games by jank standards.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Because they're good. I'd never pretend most obshitian games are good just because they're from USA, if anything I set them to a higher standard and am willing to judge non-american games by jank standards.

Nobody denies that. But the reality of CRPG development in USA is way different than in 90s. Affirmative action hired people(in many application forms of many companies, there are more questions about race and sexuality than from the professional life and qualifications), way bigger focus on consoles, activist investors, very woke culture mainly in Commiefornia where most video game studios are and other factors. I'm pretty sure that Kingdom come could't come from modern USA.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Anyone who gets a "virus" from a pirated game in 2022 is stupid beyond help.

So the public trackers / sites just don't have torrents with viruses?

Or the free virus software is ahead of the virus makers?

It's been a long time but I always felt it was a little risky even with common sense precautions.

I remember the comments on a certain popular site often had one person complaining about the file not being good, then a bunch of people saying it was OK. Nowadays I feel like comments sections are easily manpulated by bots as well.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I rather play the worst Eurojank/Slavclunk over the best low lethality gear farming cooldown managing woke game made in Commiefornia.

Hating games because they are made in California, perfectly acceptable. It's impossible for a big studio in California to make a good game nowadays.

But defending bad games because they are made in Eastern Europe? That's a big problem.

I always felt like something suspicious was going on with some of these :decline: games that people on the Codex defended.

Last edited:

dacencora

So the public trackers / sites just don't have torrents with viruses?

Or the free virus software is ahead of the virus makers?

It's been a long time but I always felt it was a little risky even with common sense precautions.

It’s a bit of column A and column B. I’ve never gotten a virus from a reputable tracker/repacker. Ever. In addition, Windows 10’s Defender is more than good enough for just about everything. Combined with an adblocker, I can’t see how anyone with even a tiny bit of computer literacy would get a virus. Trying to visit any torrent site without an adblocker is like having unprotected sex with a street hooker.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I’ve never gotten a virus from a reputable tracker/repacker.

I use Arch Linux and wine to run M$ windows games. For really old ones, wine is better than current M$ system. At moment, I'm playing Bard's Tale for the first time and no problems.

dacencora

I’ve never gotten a virus from a reputable tracker/repacker.

I use Arch Linux and wine to run M$ windows games. For really old ones, wine is better than current M$ system. At moment, I'm playing Bard's Tale for the first time and no problems.
Haha “I use arch btw”. Nice.

It really depends tbh. Sometimes Wine is better, and sometimes it isn’t. I don’t know anything about Windows 11, so I can’t comment there, but it just depends a lot. The good thing is that Wine just keeps getting better and better, so it’ll get there. The improvement from even 2 years ago is pretty great.

But there’s not even a single OS combo that can run everything old perfectly. 32-bit Windows XP gets pretty close, but that can be pretty tough to run on modern hardware. At the end of the day, I still run Win10 because it has the best overall compatibility, in my experience, and for the games I want to play.

EDIT:
The Bard’s Tale is a DOS/Atari/Amiga/Apple game, and Wine wouldn’t help you run it. Any modern OS can play the original Bard’s Tale on any of its original platforms with ease. The sweet spot for Wine is early 2000s/late late 90s Windows games. Even 3.x games run well in DOSBOX, and Wine would probably struggle with them. Games that are 95/98 16-bit are the toughest to run on modern OSes. You can use PCEmu and it’ll work, but it’s not necessarily ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom