Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why aren't there more RPGs with infinity engine?

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Siege Of Dragonspear worked quite well. Or aurora and electron engine for that matter.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Who do you even license it from? Along with the assets.

And when you finally reach someone, they'll say the licensing fee is a million bucks.

That's probably why.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Siege Of Dragonspear worked quite well. Or aurora and electron engine for that matter.

Why would anyone risk money to make a brand new game in an old engine. Dragonspear was a best case product, a continuation of Baldur's Gate - and it didn't appear to set the world on fire sales wise. Forgotten Realms Farttown Evenings a new infinity engine game - stuck with D&D 2 rules, isn't going to sell regardless of quality.

As for Aurora, there are all the Never Winter modules - heard good things about Swordflight.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Forgotten Realms Farttown Evenings a new infinity engine game - stuck with D&D 2 rules, isn't going to sell regardless of quality.
I'm quite sure you don't have to use the AD&D 2nd Ed rules in an Infinity Engine game. It shouldn't be too difficult to use other rulesets.

You can do semi-sorta 3E like Icewind Dale 2, but they apparently had a lot of trouble with it.

If you're going to force much more into the engine at that point, why not just build a new one.

Spukrian

Savant
You can do semi-sorta 3E like Icewind Dale 2, but they apparently had a lot of trouble with it.

If you're going to force much more into the engine at that point, why not just build a new one.
IWD2 did have some problems, but I'm not sure it was due to the engine.

Most stuff pertaining to rules in the Infinity Engine is relegated to simple text files (2DA).

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
That’s just the way things turned out. Isometric crpgs basically died out from the early 2000s to the early 2010s. There wasn’t any time or incentive in which Infinity Engine would get famous enough to be licensed.

d1nolore

Savant
It’s probably quite simply that they never promoted the engine as something you could license, and not willing to support it. It’s just not the business they were in.

Siege of Dragonspear is quite a unique thing and probably came along packaged with the idea of doing the EEs.

Companies are not going to go out of their way to approach another company to license their engine when it’ll likely be a huge cost upfront and no support, that’s a huge risk.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
As far as I can recall, a lot of the shit in the Infinity Engine was hard coded. It isn't really scalable to modern systems or games like not-shit engines are.

Also, Baldur's Gate sucks asshole, but not in a good way. I'm saddened by the version of the Codex that sucks the dick of that shit game. Aurora Engine reached it's peak with The Witcher, before all of the decent developers fled CD Project.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
As far as I can recall, a lot of the shit in the Infinity Engine was hard coded. It isn't really scalable to modern systems or games like not-shit engines are.

Also, Baldur's Gate sucks asshole, but not in a good way. I'm saddened by the version of the Codex that sucks the dick of that shit game. Aurora Engine reached it's peak with The Witcher, before all of the decent developers fled CD Project.

What games do you think were better?

Not sure if I've asked you this before, I typically ask anyone who hates BG what games they preferred. I actually prefer TB combat and understand that there are legitimate criticisms of BG but still see it as a must play for fans of crpgs.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron

Not sure if I've asked you this before, I typically ask anyone who hates BG what games they preferred. I actually prefer TB combat and understand that there are legitimate criticisms of BG but still see it as a must play for fans of crpgs.
Better than Baldur's Gate? I wouldn't even consider myself a hater, but I have a long list. This is probably my all time list from about a decade around that game:
Ultima 7, Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall, Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment (somehow an IE game!), Arcanum.
I've played through Baldur's Gate several times and don't hate it, but it's far from the gaming pinnacle.
edit: Meant to include Divine Divinity before Arcanum.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
How many devs do you see lining up to work with pre-rendered backgrounds these days? I remember Obsidian made a big deal about it during their Pillars of Eternity dev blogs that boiled down to "it's hard".

deuxhero

Arcane
Serious answer: Didn't the devs of Stunning and Brave Trannyspearmention that, to get WotC to license 2E rules again, they had to sell it as an expansion pack to an existing product?

scytheavatar

Scholar

BG2 is as much a must play for fans of CRPG as Dragon Age: Origins. I think both games are about the same level. For every reason you can say about why DA:O sucks you can give one for BG2. If you call BG2 a must play I will ask you why a new CRPG player should experience it before DA:O.

True must play to me is something like Planescape Torment which is objectively both shit and a classic that gives an awesome experience you cannot get from another CRPG.

mondblut

Arcane
I look forward to the Infinity Engine games being remade in the style of the original BG3, with 3D graphics, first-person perspective, and turn-based combat. :M

Someone oughtta port IE games to Temple of Elemental Evil engine. I mean, both are essentially about walking over large jpegs in isometry, so... shouldn't be terribly hard?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How many devs do you see lining up to work with pre-rendered backgrounds these days? I remember Obsidian made a big deal about it during their Pillars of Eternity dev blogs that boiled down to "it's hard".
When you're an idiot, life itself is hard.

I wouldn't trust Obshitian for technical difficulty assessment. They famously admitted that it took them half a year to make revolvers reload bullets one by one in GameBryo. That's how retarded they are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom