Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why buy the cow?

AlanC9

Liturgist
xemous said:
Copyright and Patents, or any claim that you deserve money for your idea is wrong.

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you? Ideas are neither patentable or copyrightable. Only a particular expression of an idea is protected.

As for this silly rant:

No body should be forced to pay for software. To create that sofware you relied on knowledge from selfless beings that didn't ask you for a dollar every time you used their ideas to generate your work (programming languages, mathematics, ect), so asking for money is unethical and immora.

Well, that's true for anything that anyone makes. The only reason we can make automobiles is because of thousands of years of advancing knowledge in metallurgy, chemistry,and various other sciences. Those scientists aren't getting paid. Why isn't it immoral to charge more for automobiles than the cost of the raw materials they're constructed out of?

Human Shield

Augur
AlanC9 said:
Why isn't it immoral to charge more for automobiles than the cost of the raw materials they're constructed out of?

Do you fail to understand what scarcity is? If there were infinite cars then they would be free and I couldn't steal any from you.

If I read your book and I combine my own ink and paper into the same series of letters, am I stealing something from you?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You, sir, are stupid. And not just regular stupid, you are ridiculously stupid.

Developing custom software for companies is OK, developing fun software for the public should be free and rewarding.

I don’t even want to comment on this, I just want to look at it in amazement. I want this statement to last forever without a response, and just stand as a testament to your complete and utter retardedness

As for the rest of this nonsense you fucking child monkeys keep spouting, everything has scarcity. You need scarce resources to utilize the “idea.” You can’t download an infinite number of stolen games. There are only so many computers and storage. And if developers had to invest a shitload of their own money into resources to make the free games that they down own the rights to (since no one is going to finance them), you will see just how scarce ideas really are.

Stealing is stealing. Your arguments are silly and stupid and juvenile and leads to no games being made. If a girl isn’t a virgin and I rape her, she is out nothing, does that mean I have the right to steal sex from her. Why not? She is out zero dollars, she had no maiden head to take, and she is left in the exact same shape as before. The sale of software is bound by contracts. A contract needs A) an offer B) consideration. If you forgo the contract and steal the product you are a thief. Plain and simple.

Developers need shit to make a game, they get that shit by being financed somehow. They don’t work on hopes and dreams. By pirating their games you are taking money out of their pockets, just as raping a prostitute is taking the money she is owed for her pussy away from her, but still getting the product.

Paying VD money to pay his expenses while he creates an rpg to your taste is fine, having a cry because someone else is enjoying it that didn't want to pay is sad. Why deprive him of enjoyment, its not going to destroy the software, the software isn't going to vanish or disappear, or run out. Its already been created at that point.

Because I don’t want to support a bunch of fucking pansy ass thieves with my hard work. If I pay VD money to play his game and you don’t, I am basically financing your good time. I don’t like you and I would actually be happy seeing you in pain and suffering, and the last thing I want is for you to benefit from my hard work. I don’t want you to benefit from my money at all. I would pay money to see you tortured though. Because you are too stupid to function in this world. You realize that VD wouldn’t make the game without a return on his investment and hard work. My hard earned money pays for the game. And you should just get it for free? Why? Give me one good reason? Besides that you are too retarded to get a job and make your own money.

Jon

Scholar
Human Shield said:
AlanC9 said:
Why isn't it immoral to charge more for automobiles than the cost of the raw materials they're constructed out of?

Do you fail to understand what scarcity is? If there were infinite cars then they would be free and I couldn't steal any from you.

If I read your book and I combine my own ink and paper into the same series of letters, am I stealing something from you?

There are, however, a limited number of skilled developers. If they all starve to death because no one pays them for their work then there will be no more games. Sure i'll be able to get millions of copies of already existing games but that isn't really as good.

If you copy my book an sell the copy then you are commiting a crime.
[/b]

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
xemous said:
`IP`, whatever the hell that means.. Copyright and Patents, or any claim that you deserve money for your idea is wrong. No body should be forced to pay for software. To create that sofware you relied on knowledge from selfless beings that didn't ask you for a dollar every time you used their ideas to generate your work (programming languages, mathematics, ect), so asking for money is unethical and immoral. Anyone who justifies it is confused. It's like a rat race to see who can make the most money, and ethics and morals are all out.
Really? How amusing. What about books? They are written using alphabet, developed by someone else, paper, computers, etc; influenced by ideas of other people, and so on. Does that mean that books should be free? Does that give you the moral right to steal a book from a store. Hey, you can say that you wouldn't have bought this book anyway, so there is no harm done, am i rite?

Anyway, the model could be flawed, and it probably is, but that's how our society works. If people won't pay for good games, good movies, good books, etc, people who made these games, movies, books would be forced to earn their living doing something else. See Troika for more details.

Developing custom software for companies is OK, developing fun software for the public should be free and rewarding.
How nice of you to decide. When our society changes and finds alternative ways to reward creative people, then, perhaps, fun software would be free for the masses, until then...

Paying VD money to pay his expenses while he creates an rpg to your taste is fine
But you are not paying my expenses now while I'm making a game, are you? You will be paying (which is unlikely, of course) for my ideas, basically. You will be paying to grant my team financial freedom to make more games.

Why deprive him of enjoyment, its not going to destroy the software, the software isn't going to vanish or disappear, or run out. Its already been created at that point.
Yes, it's been created, and stealing it won't kill me or destroy the game. However, it will kill my team much faster than any natural disaster would. If people who work with me can't make enough to justify the rather long time spent and opportunities missed, they will be gone. Simple as that, and there is nothing else to it. Considering how long it took me to find the right people, I won't be going through that process again.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
obediah said:
Copying a game (assuming piracy vs. backup) IS NOT stealing. They both are crimes, but they are distinct. Glossing over the differences for Joe Schmoe is seductive because Joe Schmoe knows stealing is wrong already, but it also makes you look like a dumbass when you don't recognize the differences.
Maybe, maybe not. I've never studied laws, and I'm too lazy to look for some legal definitions, so here is my layman opinion: taking something without being granted legal ownership (i.e. that doesn't belong to you) is fucking theft. There are different kinds of theft, obviously, but theft is theft.

As a developer it's really not in your best interests to confuse the two anyway. Because if your game is physical property rather than information property - I am entitled to do anything I want to your game after I buy it. I can make copies and give them to friends, or sell them for 1/2 what you charge.
Sure, you can, and some people do, what's your point? Some people make copies of movies, some people make copies of designer items, copying ideas and styles. So?

It is a ridiculously fucking huge difference. Look at real, 100% assured losses. If I steal a table, the maker is out all the resources it took to make the table (a sale wasn't guaranteed so we're ignoring expected profit). If I warez AoD, your are out $0, zilch, nada, nothing. If I break into your house and steal a boxed version of AoD, then you're out the material and packaging costs.
What about the resources it took me to make the game? Is time not the most valuable resource of all? Not to mention money I've already invested and will have to invest (yes, nothing is free).

Your misuse of the word steal here is pretty funny. If I pirate a game I would have otherwise bought, I do rob the developer of a bit of money. If I walk into a store and steal that game, I don't rob the developer at all (at least not directly) - it's almost as good as a sale from your perspective - especially if the game is selling well.
"At least not directly". There is your answer. Who cares whether or not you affect developers directly or indirectly as long you affect them?

It all hinges on the origin of property.
No, it all hinges on the origin of one's fucking decency. It's that simple and there is no need to overcomplicate it.

Both are wrong, but understanding how they are wrong is not overcomplicating things. Speeding and genocide are both wrong, but understanding the difference between the two isn't rocket science. And accusing speeders of genocide to back your position is stupid.
How's my position stupid? Do explain, without some fucked up analogies, please.

AlanC9

Liturgist
xemous said:
[
In software they're idea's. You patent the procedure of executing your idea in the most vague manner possible so you can sue as many people as possible. And its extremely selfish.

OK, this part I can actually agree with. Software patents are a terrible, terrible idea which should never have been allowed. Actual code should be protected, but not the function of the code.

obediah

Erudite
AlanC9 said:
xemous said:
[
In software they're idea's. You patent the procedure of executing your idea in the most vague manner possible so you can sue as many people as possible. And its extremely selfish.

OK, this part I can actually agree with. Software patents are a terrible, terrible idea which should never have been allowed. Actual code should be protected, but not the function of the code.

Software patents are the reason I've never written anything to release to the public. If something becomes popular, you will have a fleet of lawyers show up at your door. Anything I ever write will be opensource, which means I won't have the money to defend myself, and even if I did, there's a pretty good chance the law would side with the ass-fucking patent prospector.

xemous's ideas are based on a lot of good ideas, but taken to a nasty extreme. I think gaming would be much better if every developer released their code/artwork after two years at the latest. Even before software patents became an issue, the closed nature of game development really stifled advancement and many potential developers. But that isn't justification for me to pirate games or steal source code. It's just my opinion.

obediah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Maybe, maybe not. I've never studied laws, and I'm too lazy to look for some legal definitions, so here is my layman opinion: taking something without being granted legal ownership (i.e. that doesn't belong to you) is fucking theft. There are different kinds of theft, obviously, but theft is theft.

The differences may not be interesting, but they are significant. The piracy argument is heated because there is no tangible loss on the victims part. Contrary to Roqua's stance, stealing is not wrong because someone gets something for free - it's wrong because someone else loses something of known value.

For example, people justify copying games, because they will buy it if it's good, or they wouldn't buy it anyway, or they might like it and tell their friends. These are all bullshit 'What ifs', and make a pretty weak argument.

'We payed $35 for that game from a distributer, and $5 in labor to put it on the shelves. And you took it from us without paying." is a very strong argument, and will trump any of the above excuses with any rational arbitrator.

"I haven't lost anything, but if they would have bought the game instead of stealing it, the supply chain would have split $50" is a bullshit 'What if' loss and a pretty weak argument. When you have an argument where both sides are bullshit 'What ifs' it gets really difficult to justify your position.

Sure, you can, and some people do, what's your point? Some people make copies of movies, some people make copies of designer items, copying ideas and styles. So?

My point is that if I buy a movie and make a shot-for-shot remake, I'm going to be sued and lose. If I buy some $5000 perfume and hire some smell expert to recreate the odor, I can sell it with impunity. From your layman view, these are the same actions - but one is illegal and the other isn't.

What about the resources it took me to make the game? Is time not the most valuable resource of all? Not to mention money I've already invested and will have to invest (yes, nothing is free).

Have you lost that time? Is your game any less done because I downloaded a copy of it? Do you have any fewer boxes in your inventory? You can't even say that you will sell 1 less copy of the game. Our carpenter friend can claim the time he spent building that one table (but not time spent on design or learning carpentry).

If I pirate your game, your worst-case loss isn't any worse than if I bought your game second hand, or played it on a friends computer, or even waited until it landed in the bargain bin. Why is copying a game illegal if the others aren't? Your expected loss is even less with piracy.

"At least not directly". There is your answer. Who cares whether or not you affect developers directly or indirectly as long you affect them?

I said 'At least not directly', because who knows how the retailer will react to the theft? It may be in a way that helps or hurts the developer, or doesn't affect them at all.

How's my position stupid? Do explain, without some fucked up analogies, please.

I love fucked up analogies, but here goes. Your trying to use an accepted belief "stealing is wrong" to make you case that "copying games is wrong" as if the two were the same. But the key differences in stealing and copying (a absolute, unchallengeable loss for the victim) is the key reason stealing is accepted as wrong. Unless the entire debate will consist of "Stealing is wrong" and "no victim no crime", you need to get your hands dirty with the details to talk about this stuff.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Meh, i pirate and buy...no bullshit excuse either, who do i download? because i'm a cheap and lazy cunt. many times we get games a week later than the US, hence why i'm downloading ubblibion now (i'll pick it up on friday though)

Don't get me wrong i do buy alot of games (boxes are everywhere and i even played WoW for nearly a year), last month alone i picked up two, Empire at War and Gal Civ 2 limited edition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom