Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do forign previews seem to give fewer blows?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
First of all, a good synchronization speaker can speak so well that you don't notice a difference between vocalisation unless you're really looking for it, and our guys are very good. That's in movies.

In games, lip-synching- well. I wouldn't know, I never played a game with lip-synching anyway.

Also, why would people riot there? Germans don't know English. Not most, anyway. They do know a butchered, corrupted version of it that's just enough to corrupt our beautiful language with hideous English-German constructs, but they absolutely know not enough of it to play a full game in it. And who'd buy a game he can't read or understand? Are Czech people learning English a lot?

I mean, here, English is mandatory, but our kids are so stupid they -really- suck at it.

And nobody in Croatia would riot, I bet, if the quality of localisation matched ours - even though I'd call it only average in games it's LEAPS AND BOUNDS over most east-european and russian things, aside maybe Polish, I heard Polish versions can be real good.

That said, like Jarl, I prefer the original language in anything. I love learning new words from languages I'll never use.

Shoelip

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
With strategy games I just buy the German version fron the store, and they're usually translated very well, even the voice-acting is pretty good.

Military stuff always sounds better in German. :lol:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
I heard Polish versions can be real good.
It varies, but e.g. PS:T's translation is a masterpiece. The Polish version of cant sounds very naturally and the whole reads like written by a very good author.

abstract

Scholar
are you shitting me? the Polish gaming media gave Oblivion the mother of all blowjobs.

Mareus

Magister
Jasede said:
Also, why would people riot there?

1. Our synchronizations are awful, although lately they have improved a bit and that starts to worry me, for it might spread from cartoons to the movies.
2. Our language is a bit archaic and it has trouble translating some foreign words accurately.
3. People are so used to subtitles that I guess it would be very painful to suddenly change that.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Fuck, I'm so used to subtitles, that I never actually watch movies in Serbian, can't understand a word.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
Assides from Wired's Preview, almost all American Previews are composed of sucking up to Bethesda. Foreign ones, specially those from Poland or Russia, are pretty much diferent. And this is why I would like to live there.l

No. No, you won't.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Everyone outside of the United States r forign. Wuts up wit forigneers?

Mareus said:
JarlFrank said:
Just one offtopic question JarlFrank. How hard it is in Germany to get a hold of original version of games and movies. I mean I am under impression everything is synchronized on German in Germany. I swear the day that starts happening in Croatia is the day I will move out of Croatia. Doesn't it bother you? Don't people in Germany find it annoying?

No. Germany has got a very, very, very, very professional dubbing industry, and every once in a while Germonized games benefit from that too. Even so, prefering to experience something in the exact form it was made in is a valid reason to stick to the untouched (undubbed) version of whatever. However I would steel feel the urge to react strongly to everybody who wouldn't give the professionals involved the credit they deserve. Anytime. Anywhere.

Dubbing can be an art form ot its own, even. I could point fingers to TV shows, movies and games that even benefitted from dubbing - and this is one's not for the purists: sometimes by applying a little more creative leeway than usual and turning the original thing upside down, for the better of it. Also, a lot of smallish foreign games have very poor voice acting due to the budget involved, and for a number of German game publishers doing quality voice acting is pretty high on their list of things to do.

Longshanks

Augur
I don't care how good a dub is, I always prefer to watch a movie in the original language. It's kinda boring and insular to only watch movies in your native tongue.
On the extreme end of this, we have ridiculous instances where I believe the undubbed version of Mad Max was not released in the States, till the year 2000 :?. Despite it being voiced entirely in English (that's Australian English, but surely not too difficult for Americans to decipher).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Longshanks said:
On the extreme end of this, we have ridiculous instances where I believe the undubbed version of Mad Max was not released in the States, till the year 2000 :?. Despite it being voiced entirely in English (that's Australian English, but surely not too difficult for Americans to decipher).

The Americans dubbed an English movie with new American English dubs so it's easier for them to understand? Holy shit how retarded is that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom